Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: Type of lead in modern shotshells . . .

Boolit Mold

Type of lead in modern shotshells . . .

OK so I frequently pick up shot shells that people drop in the canyons by my house. If they are NOT steel shot, can I assume they are normal lead? I just don't know if manufacturers have messed with other metals besides lead.

Most I pick up are fresh and unfired so I throw them in a box to shoot but the grungy stuff that has been out there a while I always pull down for the lead shot. I have a 1 gallon coffee can completely full of shot. I want to melt it down but I also want to ensure it is all normal lead.

thanks!

Boolit Master
    No, it's not "normal," if by "normal," you mean pure lead. If you mean "normal" alloy for magnum or non-magnum shot, then it might just be "normal."

Do some reading, learn what you want to ask, then ask.

Lead shot may have about 2 % antimony added, making it harder.

Boolit Master

It all depends on if it was dove/quail loads (cheap) or the more expensive (target or premium) as to what it is loaded with, chilled (0-2% Antimony) or magnum (4-6%). It sounds as if you have a mixed bag in the coffee can so I'd smelt aand test. The magnum will also have so e arsenic in it I believe.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the "polite" attitude scottfire1957 . . . I should have just asked my wife :/

I'm simply trying to find out if any manufacturers use anything other than lead or steel as shot. I want to make sure I can mix it all together as lead and that it's not zinc or anything other type of metal.

Banned

well just about everything is used anymore.
    lead/steel/nickel/bismuth/tungsten/iron/some polymers/tin.
    the majority of upland stuff is lead much of it is steel.
    if you don't recognize it as lead right off or the brand is something you don't recognize set it to the side.
    if you mess up and get something other than in the pot it'll float on top.
    except the bismuth it will melt.
    not a world shattering event bismuth acts like antimony in the 1-2% range.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies . . . I guess my main concern is Zinc. I can recognize the steel for sure. I guess I could always just stick to known lead and forget about trying to recover shot . . .

Does anyone else recover shot and if so, how do you decipher content for melting down?

Boolit Master

I dump the shot in with my range scape and melt it.

Don't worry about zinc , Yes there are all kinds of shot from bismouth to tungsten but if the shells look like new it will be marked.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't worry about the attitude some convey here, glassparman.

I believe some kind gentlemen know their stuff, and I do understand that the vast majority of topics brought up here have very likely been discussed at one point or another if you know where to look. Perhaps we should simply shut down the site and provide anyone who asks a large, hard-copy print out of what's already here for a fee and call it a day.

I believe those that were (God forbid) willing to simply take a moment to answer your question as best they could based on what info you were able to provide are to be commended. It's volunteer time, and happily donated. And, just maybe, if some folks so-opposed see a "stupid question" that's "already been answered plenty of times" they could simply choose to not waste their time denigrating the "undeserving" poster with a snarky comment (over, and over, and over again...) and look for threads that meet their expectations of qualified inquiries to provide properly deserved guidance. And help out there.

Thanks for your patience. I guess my mother-in-law-ly side of manhood hasn't quite kicked in yet, must be coming...

Boolit Master

I wouldn't worry about any zinc, I think a better question is why are so many shot shells being dropped? A coffee can full of shot= a lot of lost shells!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Just to say that I saw half a bucket of shot at my source and I had the guy use the X-ray gun. 5% SB