RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel makers?

Boolit Buddy

Barrel makers?

Who would be considered the best barrel maker?

Green Mountain

Mcgowan

Shiloh

Thanks,

Knarley
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Grand Master

Krieger

Boolit Bub
    I will name them in order. And I have them and shoot with them.
    Krieger, Douglas, Shiloh, Badger, Green mountain.

Boolit Grand Master

Kriegers are great barrels and shoot very good (I used them mostly when I was shooting NRA High Power) Harts are good also. I have a liljaon an ar thats very good. A Apc Nor on a long rrange rifle thats great. One plus to the krieger is it is cut rifled. In my opinion from my use, Krieger, Hart, lilja, pac nor, green mountain, mcgowen, douglas. Brux has been getting some good reviews also.

Boolit Buddy
    O.Kayyyy.........I mentioned three barrels, Two are used by C. Sharps, the other by Shiloh Sharps.

It doesn't look like I' gonna be "pullin' the trigger" on either for quite a while.

Knarley
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    Before I tried a Green Mountain barrel I would have guessed they are nowhere near the top. But after looking at the results of a couple of LR matches I've attended, it's clear that a Green Mountain barrel can shoot very well. Check out the recent results on ArizonaSharpshooters.com.

I have been shooting one for a year and a half or maybe two years. It's as good as any .45 cal barrel I have. I've got Badgers, RKS, Shilohs, and a Krieger barrel. I think a lot of it comes down to who chambers and installs the barrel. And the particular chamber used.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    For the last few years, I don't believe you'll find a better bpcr barrel than the ones Shiloh is making for their rifles.
    For a rebarreling project the barrels turned out by Oregon Barrel have been pretty good on the project guns I've put them on.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I like the idea that Shiloh makes their own barrels. I'm really looking at their "Saddle rifle" was thinking 38-55.
    Knarley
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    The other nice thing about Shiloh is that in addition to making a great barrel, they also fit and chamber it very well .

Chris.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Kriegher, Broughton, Brux, for accuracy several other on top of list Hart, rest are mostly hunting rifles barrels

Boolit Grand Master

Gunlaker, how do the kriegers do with cast bullets, Paper patched? I thoght about using one on the highwall i just had built. I also see krieger makes an Alexander henry rifling form.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 45 cal SS Krieger with the 50/50 land/groove the I just installed on a High Wall. It seems to be outstanding. The 50/50 is recommended for cast and paper patched.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-08-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    For the last few years, I don't believe you'll find a better bpcr barrel than the ones Shiloh is making for their rifles.
    For a rebarreling project the barrels turned out by Oregon Barrel have been pretty good on the project guns I've put them on.

Well I have to say that your the first out of three that mentioned that they make a good barrel.

Boolit Master
    CountryGent I haven't shot the Kreiger enough yet to know how it really compares, but it seems good so far. I plan on doing more shooting with it next week. Just 200m though.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Hart Barrels, I have two tack drivers from them.

We're shooting a Kreiger on a CPA chambered in 40-65. So far I don't see anything about it that justifies the extra cost of those barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Andersen View Post
    Well I have to say that your the first out of three that mentioned that they make a good barrel.
    I have two 44-77's from them that are just absolute tac drivers. The one rifle was rebarreled from a 45-70 and that barrel shot very well, it's still here in the safe , just in case i decide to put it back on.
    If you look at some of the scores Bryan Youngberg has fired with his Shiloh 45-100's, it leaves little doubt about how good those barrels can be. I don't think I've talked to anybody in the last 10 years or so with a new Shiloh that wasn't really pleased with the quality of the barrel.

I have 7 Shiloh's and they put are a fine barrels. I have two CPA rifles one has a Douglas .22 that is a fine barrel the second is in the .44-75 Ballard caliber I used the Oregon barrel for it and that was replaced because it was bad. The replacement barrel is getting changed to a Douglas when I pick up my new CPA in the 45-90 Douglas barrel. I have Krieger barreled Shiloh in a .44-100 st and it is a fine shooter.
    I don't know yet what the large bore Douglas barrel will shoot like yet but if it shoots like the .308 and the 7mm shot I will be very happy.
    But the Shiloh barrel made on the old war surplus machines they are bored with are fine shooters and they have won a lot of titles in the matches.

Boolit Master
    I really think that it's impossible to compare the quality of two barrels unless they were fitted by the same gunsmith and chambered with the same reamer. For instance I have Badgers that are really good, some pretty good, and one that is really not. The one that is not has a sloppy chamber.

I do really like the Shiloh's. Not because the action is my favorite. I'd rather have the same accuracy on a highwall. The Shiloh guns are just so well made. I have three and none of them are duds. I cannot say the same about my rifles from other makers, regardless of the barrels they wear. My #3 in .40-65 is the most accurate BPCR rifle I've ever shot. I have another one coming that will hopefully be as good.

Chris.

Chris.

I judge a barrel that is easy to develop a load for. most barrels that are mounted square to the action chambered straight with good reamer will shoot in short order with a very limited work developing a load.
    If the barrel has loose and tight spots overly deep cut grooves, bad indexing when cutting the rifling where double cuts are on 1/2 of the top of the lands or just a plain rough bores, those barrels are hard to make shoot well. I have some very good shooting rifles but it's getting rough for me to shoot them well anymore. I cant blame the rifles for not hitting where I want them to. It's me that is causing my rifles not to shoot well.
    But a badly bored barrel you might just as well pull it and replace it or get it rebored or replace it and use it for a jack handle so you don't have to fight it and get frustrated finding something that will shoot in it.