Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: My home made .45 acp shot shells............

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

My home made .45 acp shot shells............

The 1911 pistol is a marvelous piece of machinery. It always seems to function no matter how badly it's treated and a good, solid hit with one of its 230 grain bullets will take a man right off his feet. It's the original "one shot fight stopper".

Against a snake however, your odds go down. Unless you are a crack pistol shot with nerves of steel, hitting a wiggling, writhing object the size of a short garden hose is pretty nerve rattling....especially if said object has fangs that he wishes to acquaint you with. Now, snake cartridges for revolvers are pretty common, easily loaded at home and will always function as the cylinder revolves for each shot. Designing a cartridge that will not only shoot in a 1911 but function the gun for another shot is a different ball of wax.

I found a video on Youtube demonstrating how the new RCBS .45 auto snake shot dies work. After the demonstration, the narrator went on to describe how the same process could be performed, but with dies already on hand. Pretty good idea, since the RCBS dies are $180 or so! I followed his lead, but made some changes to the process which resulted in 10 loaded cartridges that look as good as the ones he made and here's how I did it.

Remove the barrel from your 1911 and lay it on the bench......you'll use it as a gauge for the cases.

First of all, the parent cartridge case will be the venerable 30-06, since it shares the same base size as the .45 auto. The cases were first checked for uniform depth, from the case mouth to the base inside (this will become important later). Next, all 10 were trimmed to a length of 1.195. The maximum length is 1.20, but anything slightly below that is fine as long as all of them end up the same length. The cases were then run through a .45 auto sizing die for the sake of uniformity.

Now comes the fun part. Since a shoulder has to be formed on the case, I found it best to anneal the brass first which made the job much easier. I set the deprimed cases in a shallow pan of water, so only the top third of the case is above the surface. I used an ordinary propane torch to heat each case neck, until the water inside the case was bubbling, then tipped it over with a screwdriver into the water. This anneals, or softens, that last third of the case while the base remains normal.

I removed the entire decapping pin assembly from a .41 magnum die and replaced it with one I turned on my lathe. It's nothing fancy....just a large, straight pin the same size as the inside diameter of the 30-06 case. The cartridge case is now lubricated with heavy duty sizing wax and run into the .41 magnum die, which takes a bit of effort. Now, pay attention to this next part:
    The case is run into the die in short stages, removing it each time and attempting to chamber it in the barrel of a 1911. When the rear of the case is even with the edge of the barrel "hood", that's it.....your perfect length. The shoulder you're forming serves the same function as the case mouth on a normal .45 auto cartridge. Now that you have that dimension, run the case back into the die until it stops at the shoulder. Screw the home made pin in the die down until it contacts the bottom of the case inside and lock it. You now have two things: a pin that will keep the case centered so the shoulder comes out uniform and not lop sided, AND it serves as a depth stop so all the shoulders end up at the same place.

Prime the cases and charge them with 6 grains of Unique powder. Cut "over powder wads" from VERY light cardboard, such as an old primer box. A .44 special or magnum case with a sharpened edge is about the right size. Push the wad down over the powder with the eraser end of a lead pencil until it seats firmly on the charge. Fill the case with your favorite small shot (I used #6, simply because it was on hand). Place a second cardboard wad over the shot.

Now comes the hard part.....in the video, the narrator used a .45 auto round nose seating die which formed a nice roll crimp on the brass case, over the shot wad. I don't know how in the Hell he did it though, since the die plug is the same outside diameter as the case mouth. In other words, rather than forming a nice crimp it just crushed one of my cases. I went down and bought a piece of 7/8 x 14 tpi all thread and cut off 3 3/4" in my saw. I placed it in the lathe, drilled it with a 7/16" drill just until the point entered the metal. I then ground a lathe bit to a curved shape and formed the cavity into a rounded shape. I screwed the "die" in my press and ran one of the cartridges up. THIS time it formed a nice, curved "roll crimp" over the wad, and that curve should feed through the pistol magazine just fine.

I put a small line of ordinary household glue around the perimeter of each over shot wad as a matter of security. That should keep the wad in place during its bumpy ride through the gun and provide some moisture protection to boot.

I haven't shot these yet but plan to tomorrow sometime. I have some ideas about a better over powder wad, such as a 410 shotgun shot cup which should be easier to install than the cardboard wad and probably give better performance. Only a few things can happen at the range though. They'll either:

1. not go off (doubtful)
    2. go off weakly (cardboard powder wad too weak)
    3. go off with authority, but fail to feed (might need more of a roll crimp)
    4 go off, hit the target and operate the pistol normally for follow up shots.

#4 will spell the doom of any fanged "buzz worms" that come within range.

Boolit Master

Some use bullet checks for overshot. A 40 or so (what ever your case mouth id is) upside down should allow a former crimp and add shrapnel.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master
    The .308 Winchester case family is a bit better than the .30-06 for donor cases, the extractor groove is a better match to the .45 ACP case. I used .243 just because I had them on hand and no rifle.

A .410 plastic wad works wonderfully when cut off about 1/16" below the case mouth.

A .35 cal gas check seated upside down works well for the overshot wad, although I have also used cardboard from a Coca-Cola 12 pack box.

I formed my crimp by bumping the case against a CH .357 taper crimp die.

The almost perfect case for .45 ACP shotshells is the .45 Win Mag. No trimming required, if you can find any cheap enough.

Here is a link I saved the last time this was a big thread. I have not made any dies, my lathe deal fell apart.
    http://avr-developers.com/45shotshell/

Robert

I've been making standard shot shells with my .357, .41 mag, and .45 ACP cases for my revolvers. The over wads that I use are the PB gas checks that I make out of soda/ beer cans. Works pretty good. I did notice that the thread was making shot shells for a semi-auto pistol. I would think that any of the .308 cases would be a bit better too. Good luck and stay safe.

Boolit Buddy

They can be a challenge,but boy are they fun when you finally figure it out.Never was able to get them to cycle 100% in a compact but the full size Colt Gov. and the boys Springfield eat them up.Annealing them might create an extraction problem the first firing,it lets them engrave the rifling to hard to extract.
    My foray ended up with a similar charge of W231 working best.I finish crimped an upside down 35 cal. gas check with the 45 cal. wad cutter stem.As above,the 762x51 hull works best,and also the shortened SP410 wad.Have fun.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys. I hadn't thought about the annealed case mouth grabbing the rifling! I also realized that I have a small stash of 243 out in the shop, so I'll use those for any future cases.

Boolit Master

Range report........they all went bang. Not with much authority, but they DID go off and made a "sort of" pattern at about eight feet. The weak performance is no doubt due to the cardboard over powder wads, so I'll change to the Remington SP-410 wad as recommended in the article posted (thank you very much for that...no sense reinventing the wheel!). The slide moved to the rear only far enough to set the hammer in its safety notch, but nowhere near enough to cycle the gun.

There is one other problem though and it has nothing to do with the ammo. My Rock Island's slide stop works perfectly, but protrudes (internally) over the magazine follower just enough that it causes the next cartridge to nose down and stop dead in it's tracks. The standard 230 bullet is curved at this point and doesn't hit the stop, but my cylindrical shot cases do. Has anyone else run into this and had to shorten the stop a bit for functioning?

Boolit Grand Master
    It has been a few years since I messed with .45 ACP shotshells, but the slide stop in my Kimber did not interfere with feeding.

I need to get back to that project, I am down to just a few loaded shells.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Grumpa on this Forum has a good recipe for it to. Do a search for his, it has some good ideas.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

In Remembrance
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa