RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have one Rossi should I get another?

Boolit Master

This is like walking into the barn and asking should I have another drink. Why yes, yes you should. Start shooting the 30-30 and save up for the 357. If you keep an eye out Budsgunshop will have a sale from time to time. I just got my Rossi 44 mag 20 inch for under $450 and that is with a lifetime warranty. Just keep checking the web site. When it goes on sale they have a 90 day layaway. Buy it and pay it off before the 90 days are up. Only time I sell a gun is when I can't get it to shoot like I want it. Other than that, you won't find another 30-30 for $265 again.

Boolit Master

I have two Rossi 92's in 45LC. I bought one back in the early 90's, and in the late 90's I found the other in a pawnshop NIB and bought it. It is still NIB. Both are pre safety models. I learned along time ago, never let go of a good shooting gun. I do have guns that I will sell, simply because they don't shoot the way I want them to.

i get that money is tight. I have to watch what I buy, but I learned along time ago there is no job to mienial for me to do so that I can pick up some spending money. I have spent my Saturday's cleaning out a fence row for $40. Way les than minimum wage for 8 hours of work, but it was an extra $40 that I could save for a gun, or buy powder, or primers with.

Take everyones advice and shoot the 30-30. Save your money and buy the 357. Guns are only going to get more expensive and possibly harder to come by depending on what this gooberment decides to do.

Best wishes

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    If you are losing money on guns...you are buying too high.
    Depends on how you calculate it. I bought a DCM Carbine in '60 or '61 (IIRC) for $17.xx (also IIRC) delivered by Railway Express. To help with college costs (married, GI Bill paid $125/mo) I traded it for a typewriter so I could type my papers. Compared to the then current price of an M1 Carbine, I lost my butt. Compared to the price I paid, I came out ahead. When I consider the money saved (that I didn't have even though I was working 40 hrs/week at a night job), and the contribution to the later earnings, it was darned well worth it. And yes, I have another one which I paid lots more for. No longer have a typewriter though.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Keep the dirty thirty and save for the 92. I have three Rossi's so far. I really want a 357 mag in one but I keep buying 1911's, I bought three 1911's this year, a stainless 9mm, a stainless 10 mm and a Kimber Eclipse target II and two Browning Hi Powers. I WILL get a 357 mag 92 soon.

Steve.......
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

one thing i don't see mentioned. 30-30 brass is lots easier to find after ejection.

Boolit Bub

I never sold or traded any of my guns during my first 77 Earth years.
    Now I find that my grand and great grand kids do not appreciate fine blued steel and real walnut.
    They like aluminum and plastic. So rather than leaving them a weapon that will stay in a closet
    or be sold in a garage sale I am selling or trading my milsurp collection for modern firearms
    more to their liking. I have enjoyed them for many years, so all is good.
    http://www.nra.org/
    MSGT, USAF, Retired

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Buying a Rossi 92 is never a mistake, but if bucks are tight, bucks are tight.

The 30/30 is a fine rifle and will serve you well. If it is unfired in the box, I'd resist using it for awhile and try and swap it for a 92. There are plenty of free or cheap places on FaceBook, etc to sell or swap your rifle. If you don't manage to sell it in a reasonable time, I'd clean the preservative of it and buy a cheap Lee mould and go shooting with it.

It will outlast you if you look after it. They are a great rifle.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by CITYREPO61 View Post
    I have the 16 inch and 20 inch rossi 357 and they are awsome
    Love taking them to the range.
    I have one of the 16" rifles, perhaps handier than even my M1 carbine, not sure yet. I've had a little trouble finding a load that I love, but you can squeeze a lot of short range versatility out of this chambering, particularly at close range. The velocity of some of the sub 130gr .357 loads is just stunning.

Boolit Master
    If you really want a 357 then trade off or sell that 30-30 and get what you really want. Better to have what you want and will use rather than have a gun sit unused for years. I get bored with some guns rather quickly and trade them off for something else, sometimes "losing" money in the deal. I look at it as paying rent on a gun, using it for a while to figure out what you really need or want. It's lots cheaper than having to save up the full amount to purchase a new gun out right.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Bub
    I've never come out ahead on selling a gun to buy another. I do own a Rossi 92 in 357 mag. Frankly casting, loading for, and shooting that rifle is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I watched for it to go on sale on line then pulled the trigger. I also bought a Rio Grande in 30-30 when they 1st came out and it is a great gun as well. I got it almost as cheap as you did. What I really like about it is its Marlin style action without the micro groove rifling that makes it so cast bullet friendly. it will shoot as accurately as my Savage 340 in 30-30, and much better than my Win 94 of the same caliber. My dos centavos is save some bucks and watch some of the gun auction sites. I've gotten some great deals on line that apparently no one else was paying attention to. Be patient.