Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee Classic Cast single stage press

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    This is specifically referencing the split pin portion of the question. Both the Lee classic cast and classic cast turret share the same slit pin design at the bottom of the ram. Early in my reloading days, I managed to break one of them, had to order the whole toggle link from Lee to fix it. Upon close inspection, the only reason it broke was because the bolt that holds both linkages together was slightly loose, allowing it to twist, which will break them in short order. As long as the bolts are kept tight, I have no worries about doing the most strenuous sizing possible on the Lee classic cast which I now also have. I'd go as far as to say one could use the press for swaging if your arm is up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    Mine spit primers all over the floor whether I had the priming arm installed or not. My solution to the problem was to sell the press and get the non breechlock version. Problem went away.
    So, if I understand your posting VHoward, you used the breach lock version and had spent primer issues? Well, that will not do. In conjunction with SDCitizen's post above and his experience with the standard, non breach lock version, I think that caps it off for me. I may be more favorably inclined to get the standard press now.

Again, thank you fellas for offering your experiences and advice.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

It is hard to me to see how the standard one can spill primers around being them pushed directly in the hollow ram and the in the disposal tube. With the BL it can happens being the ram splitted and the removed primers dropped in a basket under it. But nevertheless I did rarely if not never have this happens to me withe both presses. I must add that I thrust them both equaLLY

If you don't have the primer arm in place on the Classic Cast and Classic Turret presses the spent primers do sometimes come out the slot at the top of the ram. With the primer arm in place I have never had a spent primer go stray. I like lees breech lock design but the reason I did not buy it when I bought my Classic Cast was because I wanted the spent primer setup like the LCT.

Well, went to Midway to place my order... wouldn't you know? Backordered! LOL. I spent so much time agonizing over the decision that I'll have to wait for the email saying that they got the press in. Funny how you go to that website for one thing, and then you look at your shopping cart and there is all that stuff you "need" but had forgotten about? By the time I get my cart full and take a day or two to think about my "needs", and get back, the main reason I went there is sold out.

I also followed up on JMort's posting and bought a Harvey deprimer tool. I had wanted a Meacham Tool de/re capper for my schuetzen rifle, but they aren't being made anymore I guess. Just as well I suppose, as I really like my RCBS APS hand primer tool for the recapping step. Thanks JMort.
    Last edited by stubbicatt; 12-28-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Try FSReloading. They have better pricing and better shipping than Midway USA. About the only thing I use Midway for anymore is reading customer reviews of equipment.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Says in stock. They have gone up $30 since I bought mine. https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...ess-90998.html
    Last edited by VHoward; 12-29-2015 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Fixed url

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    Try TITAN Reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    Bet I have the answer...if you do not have the large or small little priming arm inserted in the ram on the Classic Cast the primers will shoot out onto the floor...with that little arm in place (even though you may not be priming right then) the primers deflect off of it and go down the tube...I had one devil of a time trying to figure out why sometimes I had primers all over the floor and other times they went down the tube as expected..it all had to do with the little priming arm being installed in the ram....When I'd use my dedicated decapping die I'd not have the priming arm in and the primers flew...on the other hand if I was knocking out primers, sizing and repriming in one step I had the priming arm in the ram and the spent primers behaved...now I always have either the large or small priming arm installed and voila...no flying primers.
    I’ve never used the press without the priming arm in the ram. Must be why I’ve never had that problem before.

I have had the priming arm fall out and onto the floor a couple of times tho.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and More Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    So, if I understand your posting VHoward, you used the breach lock version and had spent primer issues? Well, that will not do. In conjunction with SDCitizen's post above and his experience with the standard, non breach lock version, I think that caps it off for me. I may be more favorably inclined to get the standard press now.
    I own the Breech Lock Press and have never had any issue with primers going anywhere other than where they are supposed to. I always have the priming arm installed. Thinking about this, I wonder if the tube inside the ram that the primers go down thru gets clogged with debris over time and if running a pipe cleaner thru there would clear that up?

By the way, Midway isn’t the only place that sells these presses. Shop around a little. On a side note, if you have your birth date on file with Midway, you will get a birthday special in email giving you 7 days before and 7 days after your birthday to get a nice discount. This won’t help you if your birthday isn’t soon. My timing when I bought my press was right when I was about to order one, so I got my Breech Lock Press for $105 and I took advantage of the discount and ordered a bunch of dies and other stuff at the same time. Saved me over $80.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and More Ammo

I guess I'm resurrecting Lazarus in re-opening this thread.

However, I bought the Lee Classic Cast single stage (non breach lock) press early January. Yesterday was a nice day so I got it all mounted up, and tried it out.

It is such an improvement over the RCBS Summit press. Full length sizing is effortless on 30WCF and 32-40. I loaded up some RCBS .309 180 grain gas checked RNFP boolits. It was such a joy, such a pleasure to use the Lee press.

Thanks guys for all your input. I am a happy camper.

Good to know. I also traded in my summit for the lee classic SS recently, and I'm also very happy with that decision. I have mine rigged with Hornady bushings. Today I hand fed the primer arm for some short batch priming of crimped mill brass and I didn't hate it at all. Great feel and pressure. First mod will be longer primer hose to a gallon jug.

I have a wonderful bench primer but I'm curious about the priming system for this press now. Anybody using it?

Drew P. I have the Safety Prime system on my Lee CC Turret press and it works pretty good. If I'm careful I won't miss the primer cup and drop one on the floor. I reckon all I'd need to get is the adaptor to put on the single stage press and I can use the same system. This is something I intend to do here this week. Call Lee and get one.

http://www.titanreloading.com/servic...-prime-bracket
    I may have one of these brackets. If I can find it, it's yours for the cost of postage.

Thanks VHoward. PM on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    Drew P. I have the Safety Prime system on my Lee CC Turret press and it works pretty good. If I'm careful I won't miss the primer cup and drop one on the floor. I reckon all I'd need to get is the adaptor to put on the single stage press and I can use the same system. This is something I intend to do here this week. Call Lee and get one.
    I have both and they work good once you get them set up right!

Boolit Master
    GONRA purchased a Lee Classic Cast Press 90998 for brass shotshell loading experiments.
    Odd thread size was handy for the RCBS Cowboy Dies.

With a 22 inch long piece of 5/8 steel bar stock "handle" use it for all my conventional case sizing now.
    Just shim the sizing dies (looog ago setup for my Holly Senior) with 5 mil beer can metal.
    Then finishup on the Hollywood Senior as usual.
    With STP Oil Treatment or Tri-Flow Synthetic Grease case lube, case sizing is EASY.
    Looonger handle provides the sensitivity to pickup any Berdan primed brass
    that sneaks past my rigorous (ha ha) inspection procedure.
    Last edited by GONRA; 03-30-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
    I've never had that problem. Not once.

Same here. And I used mine hard until I got my Turret Press.