Thread: 60 grain .358 wadcutters

Boolit Master

60 grain .358 wadcutters

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix904626909.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	164203

got some shorties in an auction last night. loading doubles, or even triples in 38 cases over 4-5 grains green dot can lead to mucho funero at the shooting range. throwing enough into your target to generate 6 holes, then throwing all the rest of them into your neighbor's target can really get them scratching. I had one guy swearing that his bullets were bouncing off the dirt backstop and coming back thru the target towards him. he packed up and left, swearing never to use that range again, because it was just too dangerous...

Boolit Buddy

Oh no you didn't!

That's so deviously fun that I may have to try it myself!

Boolit Master
    Please comment on their accuracy and point of impact.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    Please comment on their accuracy and point of impact.
    at about 750-800 fps in doubles two bullets land within 2-3 inch centers at 25 yards, near point of impact for 158 grain SWC. triples increase spread by up to 30% and may print just a bit higher due to longer dwell time in barrel (at 180 grains weight). these experiments in a 357 Blackhawk 6". of note, some 357 brass has wall taper that will not accept 3 slugs without bulging enuf to bind when inserting into the cylinder.

same game with a pair of OOO buck shot, which go .363 or so and can be double loaded in a 38 case.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 358-101 that I have used for multi ball loads, as well as a 44-110 that works for 44 mags. I have to size the bottom boolit smaller than the upper two when I load three-fers, .355 for the 357 and .428 for the 44 Mags.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	little 38 boolits 001.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	164342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	little 38 boolits 004.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	164343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	090.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	164344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	089.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	164345
    The 44 target group was intentionally spread out to better show the boolit impacts. The 38 group was 6 shots at 10 yards 18 boolits, the 44 was 10 shots for 30 boolits..
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned

shooting at someone else's target intentionally will get you tossed out of any decent range. I know if it were my target id be furious. Some guys don't have a lot of time for range work and might be testing loads for a hunt. Sorry but its just not cool and if your rounds are flying that radically that there hitting his target when aimed at yours they have no place on a public range.

Banned

I wonder how they'd work at the club shooting event. 6 shots timed in 10 seconds, instead take 2 very well placed shots. and still get 6 holes for score.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Dean Grennell did extensive work and wrote about it in one of his early handloading books. He used an H&G version (#333) of the short wadcutter and in some of his tests he used more than one wc; IIRC three. It makes for interesting reading and might be worth a try. LLS