Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data

Thread: 100 and 200 yard targets

Boolit Master

100 and 200 yard targets

I am looking for information on what "proper" paper targets should be used for BPCR at 100 and 200 yards when using mid range tang sight on a single shot rifle. I looked through the sticky section titled something like paper targets from your printer. I wasn't sure if any of those qualify. I was wanting to do this "on the cheap" if that is possible. Thanks.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I use freezer paper tacked to a sheet of plywood. 100 yard is a piece of gorilla tape cut square about 1 1/2" Two hundres is about 4" square. It is what I can see. I am cheap too.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The official 200 yard target is the SR Military target in NRA BPTR midrange.
    For simple home shooting load testing about any package of cheap targets from Walmart would work if the black is about 6inches to a foot across.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    The 'BPCR long range' target is 44 inches in diameter.
    Therefore, a 4.4" bull would be proportional for a hundred yard distance.

If you are using a globe sight with round aperture inserts, the insert that looks good at one hundred (on the small bull) would also look good at one thousand on the normal bull.

You can print this target bull by using a .pdf file found here http://longrangebpcr.com/ReducedTargets.htm
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Thank you one and all for the information. It is exactly what I wanted to know. I am going to see if black construction paper is available and think I can cut two or three 4.4" diameter circles out of a single sheet and tape to a larger sheet of paper or do the tape idea on the back side of a silhouette target and get where I need to be. I wanted to be looking at a target that is similar to what you would see at a real black power shoot. There are no BPCR ranges in my area. At least I am not aware of any. Thanks again.
    Stan
    OBTW, Thanks montana_charlie for the link. I did print the 1000 yard target for reference.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    For a complete list of all of the target dimensions used in BPTR check out this document.

http://www.bcsingleshot.com/NRA_HP_Targets.pdf

Chris,

If you shoot a lot it is cheaper to buy a pack of 100 then print them out on your printer buying ink cartridges.

Look through here for what you need. http://www.pistoleer.com/shooting-targets/

Boolit Master

Agreed, you only need to buy repair centers, not the full up targets.

These people supply a large majority of the targets for public ranges, SR1 for 100 yds. I use them for 200 as well,very reasonable prices as well.

http://americantargetcompany.com/mis...us_targets.asp

Boolit Master
    Here is a link to the Mini Palma targets for 100 yards.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...item=MINIPALMA

Banned

we use the nra mr-63 for our 200 yard matches ....

Black Rings
    X ring . . . . . . . . . . 2.85"
    10 ring . . . . . . . . . . 5.85"
    9 ring . . . . . . . . . . 8.85"
    8 ring . . . . . . . . . 11.85"
    7 ring . . . . . . . . . 17.75"

Non-Black Rings
    6 ring . . . . . . . . . 23.85"
    5 ring . . . . . . . . . 29.85"

Boolit Master

thanks rfd. I appreciate the detailed info. I still want to try to make or print my own but I will check into the mr-63. Do you happen to have a similar target reduced to 100 yard shooting? I shoot here on my place and can do 100 yards easy. 150-175 still not too bad. I need to do some brush clearing in order to get beyond that. So the 100 yard target looks real good to me without me having to do some serious brush clearing. Thanks.

edit: I looked on Pistoleer.com and found the mr-63. It looked like the one I'd be after for 100 yard work would be the mr-31? I would also get the mr-31c for the center.
    Last edited by smoked turkey; 03-28-2016 at 10:13 PM. Reason: found some information

Banned

if yer just sighting/zeroing in, or wanting to practice for small group sizes, what we do is staple up enough clean paper (usually the white reverse side of gift wrapping paper) or cardboard to cover the entire 4' pit target backstop, then use a simple computer graphics printout that has a 3" black dot for 100 yards and 5" black dot for 200 yards, on white computer paper. adjust the size of the black dot to suit yer eyes when using iron sights.

Boolit Master
    Here is a link for the MR 31C target.

http://www.americantargetcompany.com...ets.asp#MR_31C

Boolit Master

Got it. I think I will just try ordering the mr-31c targets and see how they work for me. However before that I will follow the advice in post 13 about printing the 3" or 4" black dot on printer paper and will give that a go first. Many thanks to all. You have been very helpful as always.

Boolit Master
    The 3" or 4" targets will not only make it harder on your eyes, but the sight picture for your front aperture will be different also. In highpower shooting the 200 yard target is 13' or 6.5 minutes of angle, the 300 yard target is 19" or 6.3 minutes of angle and the 600 yard target is 36" or 6 minutes of angle. The long range target at 800, 900, and 1000 yards are all 44".

Because most shooting is at 600 yards or less for most rifle ranges you are most likely to be shooting a 6 minute of angle target and the MR-31C would be my first choice. This would allow you to get your preferences down for which front sight aperture allows you to shoot your best under various light conditions along with your rear sight aperture.

Don't forget to write down what you used and how it worked, not only is it important to write down what works, but also what did not work for you.

Boolit Master

Thanks Doc for your post. I printed off a target from montana_charlie(post #4) which has a black bull a bit less than 4.75" and appears pretty good to these old eyes. It is a reduced 1,000 yard target for use at 100 yards. My 1874 Sharps rifle has their standard deluxe mid-range tang sight and a front globe with .025 post. I am not sure how it will work with these targets but I aim to find out soon. It has been so windy here for the past month that we haven't had a calm day so I can really wring it out. I have shot it some at 100 yards at my homemade targets and a lot more at 50 yards just breaking it in. As you know there are so many variables for me now that I haven't been able to work on loads as of yet. I am using Accurate 5744 power now, as well as IMR SR 4759. I hope to graduate to my KIK 2F black powder soon. I shot some of my collar button loads with 9.5 gr. Unique and they are just plain fun out of this 13# rifle. It is interesting that they shoot to roughly the same impact point at 50 yards as my 26.7 gr 5744 with the RCBS 45-405 boolit. But I have hi-jacked my own thread. Sorry about that. Thanks for the info.