MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: bullets from 22lr accuracy

Vendor Sponsor

bullets from 22lr accuracy

Been out doing a bit of shooting getting ready for spring varmint season here in the NW. I got some pretty impressive groups from bullets I have made from 22lr brass. As you could imagine a bullet made from the thin jacket of a 22lr piece of brass will be very explosive on small varmints. I expect to be out shooting in a couple weeks with video camera in hand!

First some stats......

Savage action with 26" CBI 223rem 12 twist barrel that has been Nitride processed, H-335 powder, LC brass, CCI 450 primers, B&C Duramaxx stock, 100 yrds, 52 grain bullet with pure lead core made from Rem 22lr brass formed in my dies
    with either a 6.25s or 8.75s ogive.

What is really impressive about this barrel is that id doesn't copper foul at all! I shot more then 300 rounds at velocities of 3500fps with these little pills made from 22lr brass and nothing! no copper fouling!

I have found two really good accuracy nodes with the 223rem, H-335 and my 8.75s ogive 52-55 grain bullets. They have always shot well at 3100 and again at 3500 fps (I have frequently got results at 3300 fps too) but my previous barrel had a 9 twist and keeping the bullets together in the faster twist at the higher accuracy node was a bit close to the edge. With this 12 twist barrel the 3500 fps accuracy node has no problem keeping bullets together and it wasn't until I hit the max psi with a FPS of 3630 did I get the first bullet coming apart in the 12 twist. Shooting at 3500fps in this twist all bullets have made it to the target.

Here is a few pics of the better groups I shot over the last couple weekends.

Obviously all safety precautions apply regarding posting of loads.

Best group I got was from testing a customers die set with a 6.25s ogive and a .078 meplat (.062 is my standard size meplat), with bullets made from his die set at 52 grains loaded with 27.0 grains of H-335 I put 4 bullets in a hole that measured .150 and the 5th took it out to about 1/2"

Last edited by BT Sniper; 03-22-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    This is pretty much what Corbin say you should expect, although I believe they would say something in the 3000 ft./sec. range is more reliable and 3500 is lucky. Brass has a lower coefficient of friction than copper, but it doesn't conduct heat away from the interface of brass and steel. I think if you could get or make copper jackets that thin, core melting would be likely.

In fact Corbin say the only reason ex-rimfire jackets are at a disadvantage to purpose-made ones, and not much of a disadvantage, is the effect of the firing-pin indentation. A separate indentation-ironing out tool, cylindrical with a groove or flat and turned inside the case, might help.

Boolit Mold
    Nice shooting!!

Boolit Master
    BT. What do you think the bulge is from on photo 2?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Vendor Sponsor

I don't understand, what bulge?
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

There is a shadow at the base of the bullet that I suppose could be mistaken for a bulge??????
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    I've been shooting my 65gr rimfire jacketed leadtips for several years in IHMSA competition. I'm regularly getting 3/4" groups or better at 100 yards from my 10" contender Hornet barrels. I have won around a half a dozen World Championships with them. I once tried them at 300 yards in my heavy barrel 223 rifle and with no lead development I shot a 5" 10 shot group. They work great.
    Be well my friends.
    Joe

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe he is referring to the mark off line from the rim not being completely ironed out?

Bret