Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Met a new boolit caster today. Oh boy the young generation is in trouble.

OR, I think you have a point. Found these 45ACP at the range yesterday among the brass. No primer strikes visible. The bullets were so loose in the case, they could be squeezed with light finger pressure. It's as if the cases were never sized. Someone needs to slow down and read a reloading book or get some instruction. I broke them down for components. There was an average 6gr charge of Blue Dot in the case. Just shaking my head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FoundAtTheRange.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	164349

Looks like he broke a cardnel rule for all military members. Read the directions and do your homework.

Boolit Master
    Disheartening but not surprised to see... Todays youth..... I don't get it.

Glad to see he kinda came round and good on you for taking the high road though his real colors bled through in the end. You are a good dude for trying! Sour ending sucks still. No respect.

I have tried to help much younger guys than myself with mixed results. Some have done well and listened and others, well must be cut from the same log as your young feller was.

One of my jobs, working for Bombardier Aerospace, we have a lot of employees and pretty much everyone on the floor and some of the office people know I am a gun nut, reloader, caster, etc. I've had more and more guys asking about reloading & casting and right now, helping get a couple guys sorted out and started. They are all about my age or older and they are all ears, sponging it up, writing it down and asking lots of questions. Quite the polar experience from the majority of younger people i've helped. I enjoy teaching people that are willing to learn, it's actually fun for me! It also takes being willing to admit when you don't know something and trying to help us both find out. I refer everyone i've helped to come join Cast Boolits or at least do some reading as this is for me, hands down, no contest the best group of knowledgeable folks to learn from and I have learned a lot here. I consider myself a perpetual student and that is great because I love learning new stuff. There is always things we don't want to do or things that take too long but this push for instant gratification by the young crowd is just insane to me.
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 03-24-2016 at 02:43 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    OR, I think you have a point. Found these 45ACP at the range yesterday among the brass. No primer strikes visible. The bullets were so loose in the case, they could be squeezed with light finger pressure. It's as if the cases were never sized. Someone needs to slow down and read a reloading book or get some instruction. I broke them down for components. There was an average 6gr charge of Blue Dot in the case. Just shaking my head.

This is why i'm not fond of public ranges. Some people are dangerously stupid and/or ignorant. Luckily I have a private range at my disposal, I don't need to worry about Jr sitting down next to me to test his .308 "handloads" with a full case of titegroup because all smokeless is the same right?

I bet those .45's would be a little warm with 6gr. of Blue Dot and the bullet shoved in on the charge like that! Maybe like when the bullet hits the feed ramp?
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post

Nice. Just wondering what brand case are these?

I have a friend who shoots with me at my range. He wants to get into reloading. I told him to buy consumables and bring them here to learn on my stuff before buying his own. As he walked out he door I handed him a reloading book (Lee) and said read it. He is a member here I had him join last week. Not sure if he has posted yet. Say Hi cannonballs45

Boolit Master
    No one thease day has the time to do anything right! Try doing tile work for people they want it done right now and perfect no concept of the time involved just as in this case the young man had no time to do it right has to look for someone else to fix it he needs to start reading wow what a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Nice. Just wondering what brand case are these?
    They were a mixed set of brass (which didn't help his problem). Two R-P and one each of two others that I normally toss. Dirty primer pockets to boot. (the horror!)

Mighty - The range I shoot at has 20' wide and 75' deep bays. You get a bay, and there is a 10' high dirt berm on each side with a 20' high berm for a backstop. No one is using the bay but you (and whoever you brought). You can set up on the bench or practice shooting and moving (try that indoors!). The only saving grace on these loads, was the bullet was soooooo loose, that I doubt the pressure spike was that bad.

It's things like this that worry me at indoor ranges. The one I use in Atlanta has bullet proof glass dividers between the lanes. Came in one afternoon, and the glass has been shot. An AD by someone with no range discipline. They booted her, and charged her $3000 for the glass. And yes, they do make you watch a 20 minute range safety video the first time you shoot there. Yes, there was a RO present; but there are 15 lanes to monitor. Things can happen very quickly. And people wonder why I take a trauma kit to the range. Had a private range in the back yard in Ga. I do miss it. Setting one up here soon.

Boolit Master
    Mr Outer Rondacker I am sorry the young fellow disappointed you . I go through a lot of young men at work , and it seems like the harder you try , and care , the more you are disappointed . But I believe that is the nature of the youth . You can only learn from the mistakes you make , and the really big ones you remember well . Don't give up on the young generation gentlemen those old timers did not give up on us . I am 50 and I was hard headed in my youth . I may still be .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Mr Outer Rondacker I am sorry the young fellow disappointed you . I go through a lot of young men at work , and it seems like the harder you try , and care , the more you are disappointed . But I believe that is the nature of the youth . You can only learn from the mistakes you make , and the really big ones you remember well . Don't give up on the young generation gentlemen those old timers did not give up on us . I am 50 and I was hard headed in my youth . I may still be .
    Ya I tell you I brushed off a lot of great advice when I was a kid also!!! Sometimes it just takes time to learn that you don't know it all. Also 50 myself... Now I KNOW I don't know it all, and always more then happy to learn anything!!

Boolit Buddy
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

The more you learn, the more you know you still have a lot to learn.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by theleo View Post
    So, what's the age limit to be considered part of the younger generation? You old curmudgeons sound like you could really use a hug.
    It's not age, it's attitude. There is no age limit on behavior akin to that of the "younger generation" although in my professional work and opinion there is a sliding scale. The younger a person is, the less likely they are to put forth effort to achieve their wants. A new generation is born every day. There is no need to tolerate rude, bad behavior. Hugs from the offending party's generation do not make everything better. The 22 year old clearly has no interest in being respectful. He was rude to Outer Rondacker twice including the incident when OR went out of his way to mentor the man. He trespassed to shoot, disrespectful of the land owner. He disrespected the land leaving his shooting trash lying about. The demanding young man earned his contempt.

One of my closest friends is 40 years my junior. I am friends with his entire family- uncles, aunts, cousins, parents and siblings and feel fortunate to know them. The other day he said he learns something every time he comes to "grandpa's house" but I learn from him as well. He is a superb shooter and works tirelessly to be better. I have never seen him shoot a round of factor ammunition other than shotgun and rimfire and he owns a progressive Ponsness Warren 12 ga press and knows how to use it. When we met he was working hard to get good shots at 600 yards. He's at a mile now. He has many respectful, polite friends. Not everyone that is young is "one of those."

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

An interesting thread, with (some) interesting comments. It strikes me that this kid is a "user" - uses people to get what he wants. Anyhow, the whole thing is a little bizarre - won't buy bullets from the gun shop because they're too dear, but buys a mold and lead bricks (and presumably brass?). Goes to girlfriend's house to use father's reloading equipt, but gives up 'cos he can't reload them (implies father doesn't know about it, or he would surely help). Can't even remember what he did with the lead bricks(???) but happily takes the boxes of ammo in exchange for a very old Lee mold (and we all know what that would be worth). And finally, his actions shooting at the pit shows someone who has scant regard for people's property or, in fact, any thought for anyone but himself.

Boolit Buddy
    Another old timers hating on the younger generation thread
    Seems to happen about every six months or so on here
    Me thinks the old timers have selective memory loss of what a PITA they were to the old timers when they were 20 somethings
    It's a good thing old timers back then were more patient and understanding than the old timers today
    I remember growing up listening to all the adults complaining how horrible it was going to be when the pot smoking, acid dropping hippies were going to be in charge of the world.
    Now that time is here, and they aren't any different than the generation that they replaced.

A child arrived just the other day
    He came to the world in the usual way
    But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
    He learned to walk while I was away
    And he was talking before I knew it and as he grew
    He said, "Im gonna be like you, Dad
    You know Im gonna be like you"
    And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
    Little boy blue and the man in the moon
    When you comin' home, Dad, I dont know when
    But we'll get together then
    You know we'll have a good time then
    My son turned ten just the other day
    He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play
    Can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today
    I got a lot to do", he said, "That's okay"
    And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
    And said, "Im gonna be like him, yeah
    You know Im going to be like him"
    When you comin' home, Dad, I don't know when
    But we'll get together then
    Well, he came from college just the other day
    So much like a man I just had to say
    "Son, Im proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
    He shook his head and he said with a smile
    "What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
    See you later, can I have them please?"
    When you comin' home, son, I don't know when
    But we'll get together then, Dad
    Ive long since retired, my son's moved away
    I called him up just the other day
    I said, "I'd like to see you if you dont mind"
    He said, "I'd love to Dad, if I could find the time"
    "You see my new job's a hassle and the kids have the flu
    But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad
    It's been sure nice talking to you"
    And as I hung up the phone it had occurred to me
    He'd grown up just like me
    My boy was just like me
    When you comin' home, son, I don't know when
    But we'll get together then, Dad
    We're gonna have a good time then

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwolf View Post
    I feel your pain. Hopefully not all of the younger generation are in that much of a hurry. I like to hope that there are a few good ones out there who still want to learn. Every once in a while you can still find one who's worth teaching.

See it every day with even simple tasks like repairs, construction, and especially maintenance and working on vehicles. Most of the new generation simply buys everything new. It's all considered disposable to them. When something breaks they just replace it. Consequently, they never learn how to fix, repair, or maintain things. Most won't bother taking the time to learn to hand load or cast, as it's easier (faster) for them to just buy pre made ammunition.

Apparently I grew up in a different time, and was taught by depression era folks how to make things last. Often brand new replacements were not an option, so you had to learn to make do with what you have. If it broke, you fixed it or learned how, or else you did without.

My worry is that when the oldest greatest generation is gone, there will be very few knowledgeable folks left to teach the myriad lessons that we learned.

If I can find someone who really wants to learn how to cast and reload, I will do my best to teach them everything that I know. Much of this stuff can not be rushed, or absorbed from a 15 minute lesson, or you tube video. I actually like to read paper books and magazines, yet this old tried and tested learning method is now considered old fashioned, and frowned upon by the right now generation.

Sadly most of what we know and do here, is a very esoteric skill set. I can count the number of experienced bullet casters, and re-loaders that I know in person with one hand.

- Bullwolf
    i agree. Being one of the newer generations I can say I'm all for instant gratification, it is pretty awesome. However; there's a time and place for everything. I knew going into reloading it was something I had to be patient with, something I knew I would mess up, and until just recently I knew it was something I would have to learn on my own. I went to local gun shops and all the local reloaders are not the brightest bulbs in the bunch. As for casting, I haven't found a loving bullet caster locally yet. I'm 28 and from my perspective there's a time and a place for instant gratification. Firearms and any associated entity with them is not up for grabs in the IG territory. Id give hIm a chance. It would be Ashame to leave all the wisdom in your head and later not have it passed on at all. I know I was a little ******* when I was younger. I still am honestly but I try to be respectful to all my elders,especially if they can teach me something. Key word is TRY. I'm not perfect nor am I a rocket scientist. But I do think given enough time I can fix ANYTHING.

Boolit Master
    Strtspdlx post your ( almost location ) and possibly their may be someone in the area that can set down with you , you could offer to help with cleaning up a pot full of coww or just carry some heavy stuff in return for learning how to cast , or flux some material . Seams like a lot of kind helpful people hear , just tired of people who try to take advantage of their kindness . If you lived in my area I would invite you over , got to cook up some more lead pretty soon .hahaha .

Strtspdlx, I hope you find someone to guide you, at least you're trying to learn. Although I'm definitely classed as an "oldie" I'm more than happy to help/teach anyone anything that I know (and without trying to sound big-headed I do know a lot about all sorts of things - and I'm still learning!) but they have to want to learn. In this case it's obvious that the kid wasn't interested in learning, all he wanted was a way to get hold of some cheap ammo to shoot at something.

Varmint, this generation is different. This is the first generation that has had virtually instant communication with almost anyone, at any time. Information is available, anywhere and anytime, at the touch of a few buttons (unfortunately, not everyone can distinguish between valid and suspect data). As a consequence, people skills appear to be suffering. If you remove most kids from their cellphone they go into meltdown! How many of you have been to a restaurant/cafe and noticed a group of younger people, sitting around a table and fiddling with their phones? In my day we would have been talking to each other.

I'm not sure that the words from "The cat's in the cradle" have as much validity in this context of instant personal communication.

Boolit Master

Oops- computer glitch, duplicate post.
    Last edited by David2011; 03-26-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by varmint243 View Post
    Another old timers hating on the younger generation thread
    Seems to happen about every six months or so on here
    Me thinks the old timers have selective memory loss of what a PITA they were to the old timers when they were 20 somethings
    It's a good thing old timers back then were more patient and understanding than the old timers today
    I remember growing up listening to all the adults complaining how horrible it was going to be when the pot smoking, acid dropping hippies were going to be in charge of the world.
    Now that time is here, and they aren't any different than the generation that they replaced.
    I don't need the Muslim convert Yusuf Islam quoted to me and I beg to differ with your analysis. The young man in the OP was ill mannered and unwilling to put any effort into his goal, if it actually was his goal.

As a teenager and into my 20s when I wanted a model airplane I bought a kit, adhesives, abrasives, accessories and built it, installed the radio and flew it. When I wanted a street rod I bought a Model A sedan that someone had started converting in the '50s, redid everything and built a car that I could drive anywhere. When I wanted to learn to cast boolits a mentor took me under his wing. I hung on his every word and did my best to retain everything. We were best friends for the rest of is life. Even when there were video games I didn't play them. There were real things to do.

I have tried to teach several potential reloaders over the past few years. I have been told I am a good and patient teacher. Most don't want to learn; they just wanted to start putting powder into cartridges without any education. They are willing to experiment without knowing what they are doing. I'm still active in radio control. Hardly anyone is willing to invest the time to build their own aircraft these days. They want the airplane to come pre-assembled including the electronics and servos, read to fly straight out of the box and bemoan that they have to do some minor final assembly. In the '70s there were few professionally built street rods and the people that bought them were viewed with disdain by the rest of us. I was in my 20s at the time. Today I know a builder that gets $150,000 to $250,000 to build a street rod and his shop is busy. Having someone else build your rod for you is ordinary today. Let's not even start on the number of people that spend their time at a game console and get all of their "knowledge" from Google. The only place I've seen young people WORK at accomplishing something is in our Hunter Education program. Even with a five day lesson plan the kids really have to put effort into passing. Each and every one has my respect for the effort they put forth.

I teach a number of things at every opportunity but the student must be willing to invest some degree of effort and dedication. I really enjoy sharing what I have learned.

The old timers were right about when the pot smoking acid dropping hippies got in charge. Look at our government now!

David
    Last edited by David2011; 03-26-2016 at 10:13 PM.

Banned
    I have mentored more than a few. Latest one started doing yard work for us when he was 13. Taught him how to shoot, load, cast and a lot more stuff.He killed his first turkey 75 yards away from my back door about 4 years ago. Always respectful and responsible and given the cards he started with that says a lot. He is now at Dam Neck VA in the Marines

Boolit Buddy
    I'm of the newer generation here (31) & I honestly feel most people my age & younger are pretty much a lost cause. They want $15 an hour to flip burgers & wouldn't know an oil dipstick if you swatted 'em with it!

I was raised pretty 'old school' I suppose. I didn't realize it until after I flew the coop however. Its shocking to me, to hear people my age have never cut wood with an axe, rebuilt an engine, hunted to feed yourself, etc.

My heart honestly aches, as to me, I see our finest generation going away & all the incredible information going with you guys.

I've pretty much made it my new life goal to absorb as much knowledge from my grandfathers as I possibly can so that one day, God willin' I meet a good woman I can pass old world knowledge & manners along to my boy.

I sure am not without fault. Patience is something I have always had serious troubles with. I'm also a bit of a loose cannon with a problem with authority. Past few years I have really tried to tone it down some, with at least some measurable success.

If you're an older gent who knows a young person that shows an incling to old world values, please be patient with our knuckleheadedness & show us how this once fine nation used to be. Thank you.

-Raymond
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.