Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big reloading problem

Boolit Bub

big reloading problem

I've been reloading 11gr unique 245lead bullet in starline brass as my plinking 38-55 load.shoot this load in a ruger #3 and a marlin JEB rebore.Yesterday after loading about 150 rounds my powder measure started acting up.The point is I dont know if I have 11 gr unique or up to 15 gr.Before I start disassembling them .what is the limit for a unique load in my ruger #3 375 win?

Boolit Master
    To find the heavy loaded rounds weigh them all and separate the heavy ones. Pull a couple of them and check charge. I checked my Lyman manuals and nothing for the #3. Just the Stevens.

Sorry not more helpful.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master
    With the combined possible variations and resulting compounded error, I would think a 4 grain difference is a mighty slim margin to hang your hat on. I have no idea about the upper limits of Unique under that boolit and in that cartridge. Good luck.

Boolit Mold
    Start pulling. It's happened to us all at least once.

Boolit Master

If you think there is a 4 gr difference you can weigh the cartridge to find any offenders without pulling any boolits.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Just brass and boolits can make a 4 grain difference, pull them all.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Moderator Emeritus
    If you are sure that 15gr is the max you loaded, you should be fine. You may want to shoot them in the Ruger to add an extra safety margin. Here is a thread with some load data for Unique: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...5-70-Load-Data. This shows heavier bullets and charges than what you loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by pahermit View Post
    I've been reloading 11gr unique 245lead bullet in starline brass as my plinking 38-55 load.shoot this load in a ruger #3 and a marlin JEB rebore.Yesterday after loading about 150 rounds my powder measure started acting up.The point is I dont know if I have 11 gr unique or up to 15 gr.Before I start disassembling them .what is the limit for a unique load in my ruger #3 375 win?
    my Lyman book from 1973 shows a model 70 winchester a 249 grain lead bullet 18 grains of unique at 1525 FPS 43 years ago. so i would say your in good shape with your # 3 ruger & your marlin both. GD
    Last edited by gandydancer; 03-21-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: miss spelling
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Buddy

I would pull them. I too agree that brass and bullets alone can make a 4gr difference.

I wont put any questionable rounds through my guns. My time isn't worth losing a gun, or hurting myself or others. I'd pull anything I was uncertain of.

If the measure was 'acting up" what are the chances it could have "acted up" more than you thought and put even more than 15 gr in some cases. Not worth the chance, worst case scenario pulling them is that you ruin the boolits, but hey, they melt and reform into new ones

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

This is why I charge on a loading block, and then visually check powder levels with a flashlight.

I would pull them too. Brass can have huge diference and boolits too so I have never been able to ceck an over filled round only by wheight. I have always ended pulling the rounds apart. An RCBS style bullet puller die and a collet die would make redoing the rounds way fast.

Boolit Master
    What you decide to do is ultimately up to you. When I'm working with things that can seriously injure me, I tend to err on the side of caution. I would pull them all and throw new powder charges.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    What you decide to do is ultimately up to you. When I'm working with things that can seriously injure me, I tend to err on the side of caution. I would pull them all and throw new powder charges,
    and fix the powder measure and check the charge levels before loading bullets.

Pull them, then switch to Trail Boss for your mouse fart loads - 7 to 9 grains and you may test up to about 11. Just do not compress the powder.
    Unique isn't listed for the 38-55 anywhere. It is a fairly fast powder. Low volumes of fast powders have a tendency toward secondary detonation. Bad ju-ju

Even if they aren't dangerous break them down anyway. With such a big variation in charge weight they'll likely shoot all over the place making them not even good for plinking or practice.

Boolit Master

pull them, why risk it what kind of powder measure did you use?

Boolit Master
    With such a big variation in charge weight they'll likely shoot all over the place making them not even good for plinking or practice.
    I agree. Even if they aren't dangerous, they wouldn't be of any practical use other than to just make noise.

A few things I've done as habit in my reloading over numerous decades. I charge all my cases, before seating any bullets. I check weight at the beginning, and every ten charges, I dump another on the scale to check that nothing has changed. Before seating bullets, I visually examine all powder levels with a flashlight. After all the various checks, then I'm comfortable to proceed with seating my bullets.