Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New hope for .303/7.7 Arisaka

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Easier to reload? Grab yourself some 8mm Mauser brass and just resize and you've got 7.7 Arisaka brass with only 1mm shorter neck!
    or just trim 5mm off a 30-06 case and run it through a resizing die as well.
    Bruce
    its not the brass--I use '06. What I meant was: had the rifle been rechambered for 30-06, the enormous throat would have been replaced--I assume--making it easier to cast for.

But you hit on one thing, I might have to invest in a better mold.

still, that 75 yard test gives me hope. I need some time to make more boolits to see if it holds up.

thanks for the feedback, btw.

Boolit Grand Master

I went to the garage and compared the 30-06 and some 8 X 57 reformed to 7.7 X 58. Only a tiny bit of the throat would be changed by rechambering to 30-06. Shoulder of the 7.7 is slightly shorter than the '06.
    Last edited by leadman; 05-05-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I went to the garage and compared the 30-06 and some 8 X 57 reformed to 7.7 X 58. Only a tiny bit of the throat would be changed by rechambering to 30-06. Shoulder of the 7.7 is slightly shorter than the '06.
    Leadman, I stand corrected and thank you for that. For some reason, my '06 brass looks so much longer than the 7.7x58 that I thought rechambering would wipe out the original throat.

On another front, I loaded some of my .314/.318-stepped 210 grain boolits into .303 brass pushed by light loads, 6-9 grains of Tite Group, and tried it out of my No. 4 Sante Fe sporter that has a super-roomy throat. Dismal results at 100 yards, about 4 inch groups. Again, this .303 sporter shoots well with jacketed bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blixen01 View Post
    I've been frustrated in shooting CBs out of my 7.7 Arisaka and SMLE sporters. Everything I've tried (short of spending real money on custom molds.) has yielded mediocre groups.
    A light bulb went on today. I realized I might have the solution on my reloading bench.

I use a Lee Mold C338-220-1R to get a .338 diameter, 220 grain round nose bullet. Then I size that thru a .326. honed out 8x57 sizer. (That bullet shots great outta my Yugo mauser).

Then --eureka!--I sized that boolit thru a .318 honed-out sizer. That boolit fits tightly in my .303 and 7.7 Arisakas fired case necks.. The grease grooves are pretty shallow and I have no idea if the twist rates are compatible with a 220 grain boolit. But I can't wait to see how it works.
    If you hand lube all the grooves on that .338 cast bullet before you run it through the .326 push thru sizer your lube grooves will be the exact same depth as when they were cast.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    The NOE 316299 has worked pretty good in my .31s. .303, 7.65, 7.62 Russian, etc. I've even Beagled it to produce a real fatty. Up to about .306x.318. Gator cheks still seat.

Boolit Bub
    I sized and loaded the handful of cast .338 boolits I had on hand. Lubed with 45/45/10 Alox, furniture wax. I just used light load of 7 grains of Red Dot.
    Got a little time at the range--75 yards.
    It's too few groups (1) to make a call, but I'm optimistic.

I used more than half my cartridges getting on paper with the Williams 5D. Shot the rest for a group.

What is that,sight on your 7.7? I have the original and it is not very adjustable.
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Some of the members here have devised a way to size only the nose. I didn't pay attention to it so can't help you out on the method but maybe someone will chime in here.
    Thanks,
    I fiddled around and worked out a way to size the noses with my Lee sizing die.

I cut a piece of PVC pipe to make a "stop" that only allows the nose to be sized to .312".
    I press the well-lubed boolit's nose into the .312 die (cause that's what I got) until the pvc tube stops it.
    Then I drop a piece of rod in the top and tap the boolit back down and out.
    I get a boolit with .312 nose and .318 bands. It also has a small flat point from the removal rod. (Not entirely a bad thing.)

I loaded a couple dummy rounds and they chamber fine, leaving some faint rifling marks.

Even if this works, it leaves me with a laborious sizing process.

BTW, I never use more than 8 grains of Red or Green Dot.

Boolit Bub
    Any one mounted a scope on original stock 7.7?

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of "Bubba" 7.7 Arisakas and have plans to put a long eye relief scope on one of them in the future. I like this option as it eliminates having to bend the bolt handle and do something with the safety.

Boolit Master

I use Lyman's 200gr 314299 boolit mold for my T99 Arisaka.
    My Arisaka Model 99 also has a large, but pristine bore; so I have the NOE mould 316299 for it.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    Leadman, I stand corrected and thank you for that. For some reason, my '06 brass looks so much longer than the 7.7x58 that I thought rechambering would wipe out the original throat.

On another front, I loaded some of my .314/.318-stepped 210 grain boolits into .303 brass pushed by light loads, 6-9 grains of Tite Group, and tried it out of my No. 4 Sante Fe sporter that has a super-roomy throat. Dismal results at 100 yards, about 4 inch groups. Again, this .303 sporter shoots well with jacketed bullets.
    Just a quick note on rechambering a type 99 to 30-06......

There is only ONE correct way to do this and fortunately it's not hard. You remove the barrel and face off enough of the flange and threads to allow it to screw back in ONE MORE THREAD farther. Some touch up of the extractor groove may be necessary. At this point you can chamber and shoot 7.65 Mauser (Argentine) ammo.........or simply run a 30-06 reamer in and it will clean up all of the old chamber, allowing that cartridge to be used.

I have two such rifles, one in 30-06 and one in 7.65 Mauser. Both are very accurate.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Just a quick note on rechambering a type 99 to 30-06......

There is only ONE correct way to do this and fortunately it's not hard. You remove the barrel and face off enough of the flange and threads to allow it to screw back in ONE MORE THREAD farther. Some touch up of the extractor groove may be necessary. At this point you can chamber and shoot 7.65 Mauser (Argentine) ammo.........or simply run a 30-06 reamer in and it will clean up all of the old chamber, allowing that cartridge to be used.

I have two such rifles, one in 30-06 and one in 7.65 Mauser. Both are very accurate.
    Just out of curiosity:

1. Does the recutting of the chamber cause the chrome in the bore to chip?

2. By cutting back a thread, do you remove the propensity of the 7.7 Jap to bulge out at the web of the cartridge case?

Fortunately that's not in the future of my Type 99 so I'm just inquisitive at this point.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I'm the OP on this thread and I'm glad to see it resurrected because I've been tinkering with my Arisaka again. I gave up on the double sizing because it's too labor intensive. I'm considering buying the Lee 8 mm mold and sizing down to .318 for th Arisaka. (Is that a sizing too far?) If that shows promise I might get an NOE .319 mold. For some reason I really like this rifle.

That is a Williams 5d sight by the way and it holds zero nicely.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    I'm the OP on this thread and I'm glad to see it resurrected because I've been tinkering with my Arisaka again. I gave up on the double sizing because it's too labor intensive. I'm considering buying the Lee 8 mm mold and sizing down to .318 for th Arisaka. (Is that a sizing too far?) If that shows promise I might get an NOE .319 mold. For some reason I really like this rifle.
    I wonder if a 32 Special design would work? It should give you an as cast boolit a couple of thousandths smaller than an 8mm mould.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Zanders wholesale again has OATH brand loaded ammo. 180 grain solid copper bullets. Lathe turned bullets. 7.7 Japanese ammo. Rated @ 1900 F.P.S. 180 grs. on the front of the box, 185 on a tag on the side panel. Looks very impressive. They had Graf 6.5 x 50 also coming and going.. It is loaded by Hordany (sp) for military matches with original rifles. You will need a dealer to purchase.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Just out of curiosity:

1. Does the recutting of the chamber cause the chrome in the bore to chip?

2. By cutting back a thread, do you remove the propensity of the 7.7 Jap to bulge out at the web of the cartridge case?

Fortunately that's not in the future of my Type 99 so I'm just inquisitive at this point.
    1.) No, the chrome will not be harmed to the best of my knowledge.

2.) The whole point of "setting the barrel back" one thread is to provide enough material to completely remove the 7.7 chambering when rechambering to 30-06.

The Japanese chamber is about .015" LARGER at the rear, so simply running a 30-06 reamer in there will allow the new cartridge to chamber and shoot, but the brass will expand at the base far more than it should. I have a rifle that was done this way and the brass looks a little scary when extracted. The other rifle with the set back barrel and fresh chambering makes the brass look perfectly normal.

You'll notice I mentioned that the barrel can also be set back one thread and 7.65 Mauser (Belgian) can be fired. The two cases...7.7mm and 7.65.....are so similar except for length that it's almost a perfect conversion, especially since the .312 bore is suited to both.

Boolit Master

The Japanese chamber is about .015" LARGER at the rear, so simply running a 30-06 reamer in there will allow the new cartridge to chamber and shoot, but the brass will expand at the base far more than it should. I have a rifle that was done this way and the brass looks a little scary when extracted. The other rifle with the set back barrel and fresh chambering makes the brass look perfectly normal.
    As I suspected. Thanks.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf