WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: 12 gauge 3" sizing die length

Boolit Master

12 gauge 3" sizing die length

I'm loading 12 ga. 2-3/4" slug loads on a Ponsness Warren 375 and decided to try 3" hulls to allow more powder capacity for the Blue Dot loads I'm working up. I ordered a 3" conversion kit from Ballistic Products which included a new sizing die which is the same length (2.310") as the existing die for the 2-3/4" hulls. I believe a packaging error was made at P.W. and was wondering if any of you might know the correct length for the 3" hull sizer die for the Model 375 loader.

I cant figure out why it would be necessary to replace the sizing die? The die only sizes the base of the shell anyway.
    Cap'n Morgan

cast length of a fired 3" 12GA shell should be 3 1/4"

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderEd View Post
    cast length of a fired 3" 12GA shell should be 3 1/4"
    Actually, the length of a fired 3" 12 gauge shell would be 3" to a max. of 3.010 for SAAMI specs. But as Cap'n Morgan stated above, the only resizing that's done on a shotgun case is the base.
    Chuck

Any problem can be solved with the correct application of explosives.

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

Boolit Master
    I have learned that I have the older P.W. 375 loader which uses the B type tooling and the die for this press is no longer available. I received the conversion kit for the 375 - C loader, which forms a taper crimp on the shell. To load 3" shells on my M 375 requires the purchase of a taper crimp conversion kit which sells for 100.00 and it looks like I will not be loading 3" shells on this loader.

Boolit Buddy
    Get a lee load all for about $50. Forget about the bushings and measure your powder and shot manually. Only thing you need to do is raise the wad guide to the higher hole and don't run the press all the ways down on the crimp starter. Shells will buckle if you do. You should get the feel for it after 3 or 4 shells.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    I'm loading 12 ga. 2-3/4" slug loads on a Ponsness Warren 375 and decided to try 3" hulls to allow more powder capacity for the Blue Dot loads I'm working up. I ordered a 3" conversion kit from Ballistic Products which included a new sizing die which is the same length (2.310") as the existing die for the 2-3/4" hulls. I believe a packaging error was made at P.W. and was wondering if any of you might know the correct length for the 3" hull sizer die for the Model 375 loader.
    Any progress with your 3in loads yet

Boolit Master
    Goose

Actually, I just received a Lyman .735" roundball mould and have cast 100 or so up to try in the 3" hulls along with the Lyman 525's. I'll try to get some of each loaded this week.