RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast boolits for the 30-40 Springfield Krag

Boolit Master
    My preferred cast load is Lyman 311284 and 23 grs 4227.

Boolit Master
    My current Krag has a new Criterion barrel, with conventional .30 dimensions. The ball seat is .309, grooves are .308, so I size to .309 and life is good. Going with this barrel was the smartest move I could've made during this build project. It is scary accurate, and since I finish reamed it to achieve absolute minimum headspace, brass lasts better too.

Speaking of brass, I bought 240 pieces of .30-40 brass at an auction a couple weeks ago, once fired & zero stretch marks, $42. I did the happy dance afterwards.

In the same vein, I bought a complete '98 Krag action last Saturday at another auction- with headless cocking piece, new-in-box Redfield no-drill receiver sight, Bold single stage trigger, and a bunch of other small parts-- for $25 (it is missing the exctractor and safety though, so I guess it's not "complete"). A minute later I snagged a bare receiver for $5. It would seem i was the only Krag guy there...

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02-26-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Boolit Master

Nice.

I have one from CMP with some barrel pits. I tried what I had before asking for help. I tried 311291 that was ok but not fat enough. A retired co worker gave me some of his 314299 sized to 312 and they were the ticket. I bought a mold but mine aren't as good as his.

Boolit Master
    .312" is at the upper end, but by no means uncommon, for original barrels. The key is use a boolit that fills the throat and as chambered sits no more than a tenth to an eighth inch off the lands. The xxx299 is a good bullet but I find the 200 grs + zone ideal. Look for a British 303 heavy design would be my advice.

Super Moderator

..............I have a M96 Krag x 30-40 but only have a couple pictures of it. It's stock has been "Sporster-ized" but thank God they didn't cut the barrel off.

But I do have a M95 Steyr straight pull I had re-barreled to 30-40. May not exactly fit in this thread, but I figured whatthe heck?!

There are no flies on the straight pull action, lemme tell ya. The trigger still sucks, but the rifle is one shooting essobee!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Give the 170gr Ideal 311413 a try. It is accurate to 600yds per the old Ideal handbook. I shoot it to 500 meters

Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Henley & Gibbs produced the Ideal 311413 - look here
    http://www.hensleygibbs.com/TCD/arti...0One%20Fat.htm
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............I have a M96 Krag x 30-40 but only have a couple pictures of it. It's stock has been "Sporster-ized" but thank God they didn't cut the barrel off.

But I do have a M95 Steyr straight pull I had re-barreled to 30-40. May not exactly fit in this thread, but I figured whatthe heck?!

There are no flies on the straight pull action, lemme tell ya. The trigger still sucks, but the rifle is one shooting essobee!

...............Buckshot
    Interesting...
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

The 99 wasn't Hensley's 413, it was heavier. The #20 was H&G's version of the Squibb, an earlier Hensley version, before Gibbs, had an additional band on it, to help it fit longer throats. I shot a few equally loaded rounds to compare with the B&M 311169, both too fast for accuracy, but the old Hensley was the wilder of the two. Early Hensley #20 on the right B&M 31169 on the left. Different alloys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1829.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	162840
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy

I got out to the range yesterday, and with 311407 sized to .311 over H4198 in a range from 25 gr. to 27 .gr with 1 gr. of Polyfil got pretty good results, the best accuracy was with 25 gr. I had some 311407's that dropped at .314 over 23 gr. of H4198 that shot pretty accurately too - no signs of pressure, although I wasn't expecting any.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    My 1894 sporter gives me good results with the NOE 311284 cast from approximately Lyman #2 and pushed by 10 grs of Blue Dot. Lands are smooth but grooves are pitted from chamber to muzzle so I am quite happy that it shoots well. I size .310 as it slugged just shy of .309 and seat the bullet out so the bolt will just close. Tried the NOE 311291 but it doesn't seem to like it as much as the heavier bullet. I don't load heavier because (a) I don't want to challenge 120 year old steel and (b) I don't care for any more recoil than needed. When I resize I have adjusted my die to just touch the shoulder and have avoided problems with case head separations.

My rag tag Krag, is easygoing about what I feed it and does just fine with the Lee 185gr. Enfield boolit sized to .311 and 16 grains of 2400. It also shoots accurately with 18 gr. of 4759, but I can't find it any more. About 2.5 " at 100 with a peep.

1895 Winchester, relined by John Taylor, 215 grain bullet from Accurate drops at 312. It is sized to .303 and paper patched. It is a gas checked bullet which I have used both with and without gas check and find equally staisfying results. Propellant is Alliant R19 and MV is 2250. One deer slaying piece of equipment.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    My 1894 sporter gives me good results with the NOE 311284 cast from approximately Lyman #2 and pushed by 10 grs of Blue Dot. Lands are smooth but grooves are pitted from chamber to muzzle so I am quite happy that it shoots well. I size .310 as it slugged just shy of .309 and seat the bullet out so the bolt will just close. Tried the NOE 311291 but it doesn't seem to like it as much as the heavier bullet. I don't load heavier because (a) I don't want to challenge 120 year old steel and (b) I don't care for any more recoil than needed. When I resize I have adjusted my die to just touch the shoulder and have avoided problems with case head separations.
    I use 14.7 grains of blue dot and the 314299 sized to .311. 1.5" group at 100 yards. Like your barrel, mine is pitted the same. But you would never know it by the way it shoots. I also use a .308 neck die to size the brass. All loading is done on a Lee load master. Fine machine it is.

Boolit Master
    In my 30/06 I use Bullseye, 5 grains with a 125 gr Lyman 311576 with good accuracy out to about 50 yards in a 1903A3. I do GC with aluminum checks, but probably not needed. Loads for BE were 4-8 grains in 06 size cases, in any normal weight 30 cal bullet. Have used 4 grains in my Rem 788 243 with 70 gr PB bullets (modified a damaged 245496 mold), with excellent accuracy at 25 yards, 50 yards not so good. These loads are subsonic make less noise than 22LR HV.

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    .312" is at the upper end, but by no means uncommon, for original barrels. The key is use a boolit that fills the throat and as chambered sits no more than a tenth to an eighth inch off the lands. The xxx299 is a good bullet but I find the 200 grs + zone ideal. Look for a British 303 heavy design would be my advice.
    Townsend Whelen was a young Army Officer when the Army transitioned from the black powder 45-70 Springfields to the new smokeless powder 30 caliber Krags. He wrote about his experience in a series of articles called "Days of the Krag", which appears in Guns and Ammo magazine back in the early 60's and were latter gather together in a book about him, which was published posthumously entitled "Mr. Rifleman". It is a treasure trove of information and rifle lore.

Any any rate Whelen mentions the wide variety of groove diameters found the barrels of the early Krags. He relates that some went as high as .314. The biggest one I have personal encountered is my four digit SN, first year production that goes .312 in the grooves. It shoots very well with .313 bullets.

Seating bullets that don't have to jump to the rifling is quite a challenge, if we want the rounds to work through the magazine. I have learned to live with that limiting challenge, but have never yet accepted that reality. I seat which ever bullet, as long as I can and still have smooth function from the magazine. The longer/heavier the bullet the less the jump.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.