Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Kits? as in mixing kits??

No but there is a very quick and dirty video on how easy they are to make.. will find it and toss the link in this thread..

Found it..

http://s881.photobucket.com/user/Gre...ml?sort=3&o=59
    Kits as in the metal brackets and misc. hardware that you attach the Lee sizer to.

Ah , gotcha! the AS/2 autofeed sizer thingamajigger...

Yes I still make them on a per order basis and the 250 capacity mag feeder addition... all the info is on this site in this thread list below.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ade-auto-sizer

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    Kits as in the metal brackets and misc. hardware that you attach the Lee sizer to.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Ha... the only kits Grem makes are carby kits to 2 barrel Stromies off a 186S.
    I actually have 2 of them!! WW Strombergs...
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Man
    Had a great and not so great day at the range with a new batch of hi-tek black coated bullets. The guns exterior were super clean and greatly reduced smoke compared to my buddies regular lubed bullets. I was super pleased until I got home and inspected the barrels. The 38 and 9mm barrels were spotless, then came the 40 and 45acp, not so good. The 40 and 45 both had sever leading at the muzzle end of the barrel, the first inch from the chamber was clean with no leading. I coated and cooked all calibers within two days using the same batch of hi-tek, my alloy is 20-1 for the hollow point expansion. What confuses me the most is where the leading occurred in the barrel, at the muzzle end. All calibers passed both the wipe and smash test, were weighed into 2000g batches with 6ml of coating and baked to ensure the oven wasn't overloaded. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Bub
    I have seen signs of leading at the muzzle end (not severe) if the bullets were a tad to small for the bore. Have you shot lead bullets through those 2 guns before?
    I have also seen tiny tiny TINY streaks of lead at the muzzle end if the BHN is not correct for the application. I tested 10BHN 9mm medium load with this result.

My impression is that a 45ACP is a easy caliber to Hi-Tek coat due to its low pressures? (question to some of the gurus, since I have not tried this myself yet)

20-1 alloy sounds way to soft to shoot high pressure round like .40S&W.

I for my part shot good loads yesterday through my G19. Theoretical pressure of 34600psi (just below SAAMI spec max pressure) in QL. 4,1 - 4,15grs of Vihtavouri 320 COL 1.100" Lee RN2 bullets. Barrel clean as a whistle.

Boolit Master
    40 cal is like 9mm. Bullet fit is king. BHN is Queen.
    As for 45ACP. still bullet fit.
    How is the throat of your barrels??
    What guns?

Fired 150 rounds of 45ACP with range reclaim alloy BHN 10. barrel is spotless.
    Bullet is Accurate Molds 230gn RN grooveless 45-230MZ
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    40 cal is like 9mm. Bullet fit is king. BHN is Queen.
    As for 45ACP. still bullet fit.
    How is the throat of your barrels??
    What guns?

Fired 150 rounds of 45ACP with range reclaim alloy BHN 10. barrel is spotless.
    Bullet is Accurate Molds 230gn RN grooveless 45-230MZ

The throats look good, I have had leading in the past with hard cast but it was at the throat, not the muzzle. I am using the 20-1 for proper hollow point expansion. The two guns are a colt commander in 45 and a new S&W M&P in 40. I sized the 45s to .452 and the 40s to .401 after coating them.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by landers View Post
    The throats look good, I have had leading in the past with hard cast but it was at the throat, not the muzzle. I am using the 20-1 for proper hollow point expansion. The two guns are a colt commander in 45 and a new S&W M&P in 40. I sized the 45s to .452 and the 40s to .401 after coating them.
    Maybe a stupid question, but often is the answer no.

Have you slugged the barrel so you know what dim. to size to for good function for lead bullets?
    Last edited by Kjeksen87; 02-28-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well I had two batches fail in the past week,both passed the smash but failed the wipe,the coating coming straight off,I'm thinking my oven's not getting up to temp anymore. Pat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Well I had two batches fail in the past week,both passed the smash but failed the wipe,the coating coming straight off,I'm thinking my oven's not getting up to temp anymore. Pat
    Yep that will do it. This is what happened to me a few weeks ago. replaced the thermostat with a $6 Ebay unit and back working 100%.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Pat,
    I have heard this scenario many times.
    Unfortunately, elements do fail, or thermostats stop working well.
    I have suggested to many in the past, that they should have some sort of visual dial type thermometer, as a reference, when oven is working OK.
    As you go past oven, if this thermometer is showing weird readings, it is time to investigate, and before you get too far with stuff that fails.
    If you have wipe off, simply fix heating/baking oven, and give a few another cook at your normal time in oven..
    If you try and re-coat the ones that fail with wipe tests, the solvent based coating will simply strip off previous coat.
    If the re-baking works, and re-baked coating passes wipe test, and also passes smash test, only then, and only then, re-coat, dry again and bake.

Boolit Master
    I now have a Spare Rex C100 PID that only has a K sensor attached to it. I run the probe into the oven and use this to check the temp of the oven when working. Really easy to setup and use. verifies temp perfectly.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Just ordered one,should be here in a week. Pat

Boolit Master
    Just had a batch of zombie green fail on me this weekend. Came out dark almost black but acetone dissolved the coating right back off. Looks like I need to turn the temp up?

Boolit Master
    From what I have experienced when the coating goes dark like you are describing it is from too much heat. You are running a pid on your oven right? Seems like I remember you ordering one. What does it show?
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    PID thermocouple is stuck in lead at the moment will have to order another for the oven. I'd had it set at 400f and working fine for the last few months but i rearranged to make room for the PID. Since I was reusing the bowl for swirling the boolits in I couldn't tell if the darker color was from some leftover black pigment or the heat. So if the heat is too high, then bake for longer? I'll have to mess around with it again it looks like.

Boolit Master
    I use a separate container for tumbling each color. If you mixed two by mistake then you may have figured out why it was dark. If it wiped off that easy then indeed the temp may need to be raised.It seems like I remember Hi-Tek saying it was not a good idea to mix colors,I may be wrong. That extra thermocouple will save you a lot of trouble. I never had any luck going by the dial or those little oven thermometers from wal-mart. All they are is a flat spring. Some guy on here bought a $20.00 multimeter and used that to keep an eye on his temp. I followed his lead and it works great. Would like to get a pid as soon as I save up a little more money.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    I use a separate container for tumbling each color. If you mixed two by mistake then you may have figured out why it was dark. If it wiped off that easy then indeed the temp may need to be raised.It seems like I remember Hi-Tek saying it was not a good idea to mix colors,I may be wrong. That extra thermocouple will save you a lot of trouble. I never had any luck going by the dial or those little oven thermometers from wal-mart. All they are is a flat spring. Some guy on here bought a $20.00 multimeter and used that to keep an eye on his temp. I followed his lead and it works great. Would like to get a pid as soon as I save up a little more money.
    Thanks, I'll cast another lb or 2 to test with this afternoon and try the zombie green in a new container.

Boolit Master
    Mixing colours is no problem. But your colour will be anything. Black with any other colour (except gold) will be horse poo colour.
    If it is wiping back to bare lead, then, yes, your oven is too cool. Mine was only getting to about 150 Deg C when the thermostat ccrapped itself.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Hey guys.
    Has anyone used hi-Tek in a lon barreled 45/70?
    I should have a nice 1874 pedersoli sharps coming in a couple of days. I was wondering if hi-Tek is up to task.
    I bet it would be. I'm going to keep the loads moderate around 1500 fps with a 405.
    Just wondering if the 34" barrel would give any fits with the coatings.

I also hear that pedersoli uses either a gain twist or a tapered rifling to maintain accuracy with a lead boolit. Not sure if that will cause issues either.
    Guess there's one way to find out.