MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zip Lock #5...

Boolit Master

Zip Lock #5...

it has been one of those days. I went to Wally World and bought a convection oven. Went to the plasticware dept, and spent ten minutes looking for the infamous #5. They had #'s 2,3,4 and 8. NO fives.

Drove down the street two miles to Shopko. Same sad story.

Then to the Dollar Store. Ditto.

The seven miles back to the other Wally World store. Every size but #5.

So two questions for the cognoscenti:

1. what are the exterior dimensions of the #5

and,

2. what makes the #5 so special

thanks gentlemen.

Got with Smoke 4320 and ordered the sample pack, and a thousand Airsoft 25 gram BB's.

I will be ready to swim with the Sharks in a week or so; IF I CAN FIND THE DANGED #5's.

Rich

Boolit Master
    It's not the size it's the plastic recycle code on the bottom.

Boolit Master
    I learn something new - every day!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Did Smoke tell you about the ZipLoc Twist n Loc small screw top containers? He said that is what he uses and they work fine for me. The lids do not come loose at the wrong time. Cool Whip and margarine tubs marked 5 work too. Just clamp down on those lids if you go that route............Mike

Boolit Master

Are these the ones you are using? Stumbled on the thread and was curious. Been using cool whip containers but always fearful of an oops.

Maybe thats where the phrase nickel bag came from
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

the generic #5s also work.

Be careful shaking them up and down. I've cracked a couple of lids when I shook them too hard.

do about 15 or so per batch
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    $6.99 is more than twice what my local Wallyworld has them for, when they have them.

I bought a couple Sterilite containers at Wally World with the lid that snaps down over a gasket. I think they were $3 each but they are a lot more stout than most of the other tupperware. They were PP, too. I don't know if PP generates more static or what, but if that's the material that works for people then who am I to argue with results? The big thing is getting containers with lids that fit securely, not just a weak slip fit. The last thing you want is for the lid to go flying when you're shaking.
    It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.

Boolit Master
    that may be, but each of the different numbered containers was a separate and distinct size.

Asking again, what are the exterior dimensions of the fabled #5?

Feel free to post a picture...

thanks,

Rich

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    that may be, but each of the different numbered containers was a separate and distinct size.

thanks,

Rich
    There is no fabled #5 it's the type of plastic that creates the static. I use several different sizes. In this case size does not matter. Look on the bottom for the number in the triangle.

Boolit Buddy
    I use what StuBach shows in post #5. Says they are 16 oz. and I shake 50 or a little more 230 grain 45's at a time. I would have never guessed if Smoke had not told me and they work best for me. I've had no problem with cracking so far. I have 6 containers each with a different powder and ASBB's I keep in them. I'm certain others use different containers with success as well. The ZipLoc's are usually relatively easy to find. I think I paid $3.49 per 3 pak. Started powder coating with a Cool Whip container and HF red though. Then added ASBB's to make the process more repeatably reliable for me. Some others don't bother with the BB's. Some I believe even use Ziplock bags.....Mike

Boolit Master
    Make sure the container is soft- after trying many different ones (all #5) I found yogurt, cottage cheese and butter tubs to work the best- the ones that feel hard to the touch are not durable- they will crack and spew powder all over. The butter-tub type need to have the lids help on firmly but they do not crack
    Loren

Boolit Master
    bdicki,

thanks. Can you tell me what the dimensions are on the containers you are using? I am trying to figure out how big a container I need.

Rich

Boolit Master
    I just bought some more at Walmart. Ziplock teist lok. They are taller than what I've seen on here. 3 pack for about 2 fitty

I found a whole bunch of polypropylene (#5) plastic containers at the thrift shop for a dollar each. They were rubbermaid brand with tight sealing red lids. Dropped one on the floor by mistake and didn't loose any bullets, bbs, or powder.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Find themat target or wally pr most markets in the same area as food storage bags. I like the screw on lids of the zip-lok, less chance the lid will pop off.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post

thanks,

Rich

The round zip loc containers with screw on lids come in two sizes, 2 cup and 4 cup. The 2 cup are shorter and come in a three pack, the 4 cup are taller and come in a two pack. Either will work, but the 2 cup is better because they take up less room and you don't have to reach in further to pull out the coated bullets. (and you get three for the price of two). Both are somewhat clear containers with blue tops and blue packageing. #5 is not marked anywhere on the packageing, only in the triangle on the bottom of the container. Hope this helps....

Boolit Master
    Oops....

Boolit Master
    Use two hands to hold the lid down. There is a shorter version of this style. I also use the small one pictured in post 5.