RepackboxTitan ReloadingMCD ProductsInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2

Thread: Any new makers for old school Lyman gas checks?

Any new makers for old school Lyman gas checks?

I ran out of old Lyman gas checks and bought a box of Hornady. They seem to require a tremendous about of force to get on and the tip of the bullet is getting marked up. I see from searching the forum that Hornady and Lyman checks are identical now. I much prefer the traditional Lyman type. Is there a current maker of old-school Lyman checks?

Traditional Lyman Checks were of the slip fit style. There are a couple of people out there making slip fit checks including us. We do offering something a little different though. We provide multiple sizes within a caliber to provide optimal fit. To figure out the best thickness check out how to determine gas check thickness (I think its a sticky here) or there is a calculator on our website. Happy hunting!
    John

I don't suppose you know how thick the old Lyman 8mm gas checks were (for 323470)? I not, can go home and measure.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wadcutter View Post
    I ran out of old Lyman gas checks and bought a box of Hornady. They seem to require a tremendous about of force to get on and the tip of the bullet is getting marked up. I see from searching the forum that Hornady and Lyman checks are identical now. I much prefer the traditional Lyman type. Is there a current maker of old-school Lyman checks?
    What size do you need? I took these .45 cal checks in on a trade and they won't work on my Lee .452-c300 bullets. I think they are Lyman but I'm not sure. They measure .014 thickness. Must be close to 500 in this box.

Have you tried Gater gas checks? I find I like them much better then the others...

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Doc Holliday View Post
    Have you tried Gater gas checks? I find I like them much better then the others...
    They appear to be crimp on according to their website.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, Gator checks crimp on.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance

Crimp on stay on the boolit better, all the way to the target. The slip on tend to separate from the boolit at erratic times affecting accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Not to crash the party but since you're discussing gas checks and gator is mentioned - where is the best place to buy them at the best price + shipping? Looking for 8mm (8 X 57) and I'd kind of like to try some gator GC just to say I have.

Boolit Man
    I have got the best price and service on Gator checks from Blammer @Blammersboard.com he is also a member here.

Slip on gas checks work just fine,as long as all of them come off in flight, or stay on until the target. The trouble some come off and some stay on. That is why the crimp on gas check came into being.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I always get mine from Blammer. Not only a member but truly a good guy as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

NOE also sells Gator checks.
    If you use gas checks of thinner material make sure that when they are installed that the are tight on the shank and as large on the outside dimension as what you are sizing the boolit to.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    What size do you need? I took these .45 cal checks in on a trade and they won't work on my Lee .452-c300 bullets. I think they are Lyman but I'm not sure. They measure .014 thickness. Must be close to 500 in this box.
    Sir those look like Hornady GC to me,even the box matches Hornady's box,just saying
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here