Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good news...bad news

Boolit Buddy

Good news...bad news

Been lurking for a little while and just got into casting. I could use an assist.

Bad news- I bought 350lbs of lead off craigslist for $250 and it turns out its not lead.

Good news-based on the melting point/appearance im pretty sure its pure tin. Obviously well worth what i paid for it.

What the heck am i supposed to do with that much tin. The only thing i can think of is buck shot for plinking with the 12ga.

1) sell some, buy lead
    2) trade some for lead

Boolit Master
    hell no!!! if youre near st louis, ill take a chunk off ya !!!

Perma-Banned

Thought you were gonna say it was GOLD...

Boolit Master

Terrible waste of valuable, expensive resources when something else would do as well or better ... tin is not as efficient as lead/tin/antimony mix for shot. Any of us casters would be helped with the tin and you would be helped with something more suited to your needs. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    If it's tin, you've hit the Gold Mine.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

I'll trade you 25lbs COWW for 25lbs if it 100%tin

Boolit Buddy
    Other than re-listing on ebay/craigslist whats the best way to sell...i poured some of it into mini muffin ingots and the rest is still in 60-80lb chunks.

Boolit Master
    You should have it assayed or checked with an XRF gun before declaring it to be pure tin. It is not impossible but very unlikely that you got 350 lbs of tin... unless it was a case of the widow cleaning out the garage, it's not likely someone would have that much tin and think it was lead.

Boolit Master
    Start by filling out your profile. Then start reading posts and contributing to them. While you learn time will pass and next thing you know 30 days have gone by. Start listing it up here in the swap and sell section. You will make friends fast and help others out here Along with making some money to buy more lead. Dont sell it all keep some. Hope this helps you out. Welcome out of the shadows and into the light of the forum.

Boolit Grand Master

You have enough tin there to make 7000 lbs of 20-1 alloy. Tin as scrap or cheap can be hard to find. Make a rough estimite of what you need for life with your alloy double it and sell or trade the rest for lead. Wheel wieghts lino type pure could all be used with this to create just the alloy you want.

Boolit Buddy
    Dumb question...lets assume i'm wrong about the tin...considsering what i paid for it is there a chance i overpaid and if so what type of metal would it be?

Boolit Grand Master

It all depends on what you actually have.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    PM typz2slo.
    He's a very good guy that could be a very big help with your situation. I'm sure he can give you invaluable info in very short order.

has anyone considered someone might have unloaded a bunch of zinc on him, people can be real jerks and have no moral capacity, I agree that you should call some salvages and find one that will use there spectrophy????? gun on it to find out for real exactly what it is. but I hope you just got a great deal on tin. I sure could use some. none to be had round here and not the time for me to be able to buy it anyway. good luck!
    Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy
    Definitly not zinc unless im missing something...measured temp as soon as some melted...460 degrees

Boolit Master
    Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Pure tin from rotometals sells for $20 per pound last time I looked. You paid $.71 per pound for the metal you bought.
    You could cast it into muffins or whatever and get at least, as a wild guess, $5/pound.

IF it is close to pure Tin.

You need to find out what it is. There's a guy here that has offered to alalyze a sample for a 1-pound ingot of lead, he has access to the analyzer where he works.

contact a member here BNE for sending him a 1 or 2 LB ingot.
    He will run x ray on the lead and let you know the mix, he keeps the lead as a fee.
    fast and cheap to get done PM him.

Probly solder. (If it ain't zinc)
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Goose18557 View Post
    Dumb question...lets assume i'm wrong about the tin...considsering what i paid for it is there a chance i overpaid and if so what type of metal would it be?
    Zinc would be the most likely thing id guess but you never know
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum