MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 4500 problem

Boolit Bub

Lyman 4500 problem

So I tried to size and lube some 30 cal. Bullets. Took a lot of force to push bullet down. Then it took a hammer to get it out.I asked on here about it and we came to the conclusion I was trying to size to far down.ok I didn't mess with it any more until yesterday. I have bullets that dropped .460-.461 trying to size to .459 they are still getting stuck. They have lube on them. I'm so frustrated with this thing I just want to throw it in the trash and pan lube. I will post video tonight if I can.

Getting stuck with different sizing dies in it from the sounds of it ...hmmm pre-lubing the first couple helped me with ease of sizing and I'm going to assume that you have the pivot points on the linkage lubed which leaves me thinking that you may be trying to size too deep ...I'm also hoping that you have it mounted solidly to something
    Another thought ...how hard are they ? A for instance would be water quenched boolits get a whole lot harder to size as they age ,by having to really pull down on them also can swage them ,excess lead would extrude into the lube holes and then requiring extra effort to either resize or even start back up ,and the upstroke on these had less leverage than the downstrokes,suggest a lil love tap with a nonmarring hammer on the bottom of the yoke as you're pulling up and try adjusting the bullet stop to bare minimum needed
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Bub
    I'm using wheel weights. I did water quench and they have been sitting for a couple months. I will try pouring some today.

Moderator Emeritus

Fryboy has supplied some great advice, I would like to add one thing...I'm guessing by your question, post count, and join date, you are new to sizing boolits? and further guessing you are using brand new dies ?

If so, I'll offer my recent experience, I've ordered about 4 brand new Lyman brand dies in the last couple years. Two of them had visible machining lines inside the die, and needed to be polished (or returned).

This is how I found out...
    I installed a brand new .402 in a Lyman 45. I will admit I didn't pre-lube the boolits, as a matter of fact, I cleaned the die, which had some light grease in it. The first boolit got stuck, I had to remove the die, and use a hammer and brass punch to extract the boolit (the Lyman 45 is not a strong press and I didn't want to break anything). I re-installed the Die, I then pre-lubed a new boolit, that boolit got stuck. I had to again remove the die. I then preceeded to clean up the die, and look inside...Machining lines, I polished them with a wooden dowel and 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, by hand. Problem solved, I have since checked any new die I buy...as I stated above, I found another one which would have caused problems if I hadn't polished it first.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I will take a look at that too jonB thanx

Boolit Bub
    Now I'm really pissed. Why can it not work right. I see videos of guys using them no problem on YouTube. Mine breaks. Seriously I'm lifting up with one arm. I'm not that strong.

Moderator Emeritus

Oh no, that's a bummer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Buddy
    That is a bummer. I started having problems with the bullets taking a lot more force than usual to push back out of my 450. After a little checking I found that one of the through bolts on the linkage was cracked and almost separated. Replaced the bolts and all was fine again.

Just something else to check especially after applying that much force. On my 450 the threads ended right where the linkage tied in making a weak spot. When I replaced the bolts I made sure that there was just enough thread to get the nut on properly so there was solid material at the shear point. I think I used a longer bolt and ran the threads back to the right spot with a die.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have a handle just like that not sure why I am saving it. I made myself a new handle since lyman thinks its something that is not under any kind of warranty. You have gotten some great advice already one thing I would do is check alinement of everything make sure the die and punch are in line and your not pushing a bullet in sideways.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master
    I did the same thing to mine sizing quenched 45/70 boolits. I repaired the handle and now size them immediately after casting. Quenched WW alloy can be up to 26 BHN after aging a few weeks.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Bub
    Well I welded up the handle last night. Cast some new boolits. I still water dropped them. The ran them in the sizer. Still getting stuck. Then one of the bolts broke like someone stated again. I wasn't lifting hard with the lever. I was just beating on the bottom with a dead blow hammer. Is it because I'm water dropping my boolits.

Moderator Emeritus

It sure seems like it'd be the boolit hardness or a rough die.

If you try sizing some boolits that weren't water dropped in a die that has been polished, and extracting the sized boolit is still difficult, then maybe there is a defect in the press, misaligned linkage or something??? I'm just guessing here.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Buddy
    What top punch are you using? Does it match the boolit nose?
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

What's the size of bullet you are casting?
    Please measure it with a calipers or micrometer.

What's the size of your sizing die? Is it old or new?

You may need to use 2 sizing dies to get to your desired bullet size.

I had a problem when I was sizing for a new mold. The mold was bigger than my other molds. It took more effort to size the water quenched bullets. I changed my sizing die to a larger size and everything got easier. My barrel needed a bigger bullet anyway.

Boolit Bub
    Bullets dropping 460-461. Sizing die is .459 . Looked at sizing die. I couldn't see any lines or machining marks.

Boolit Bub
    Could the sizer die be undersized
    Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth. Sherlock Holmes

Boolit Bub
    Top punch came with mold from noe

Boolit Buddy

What are the size of the bullets after u have got them unstuck?

Boolit Master
    The casting the handle screws into was ground too close to the hole on mine and broke sizing water dropped 44 mag boolits down .003. I cut a new one out of 1/4" steel strap with more meat around the bolts. I added an inch or two to the handle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sizer.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Try smearing bullet with something like lanolin..or a good case lube before running into die. What lube are you using in the 4500?