RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: How big is too big?

Boolit Bub

How big is too big?

I have just started shooting pc boolits. After pcing they measure .401-.403. My sig p226 .40 barrel was slugged at .400. Occasionally I see one that measures up to .406. Is that going to cause a great increase in pressure? My .401 lee sizing die actually sizes to .400 and I have had boolits hit the paper broad side sized down that low. I assume shooting .406 is that big of a deal but how big is too big?

Size your boolits after PC'ing to the size you want. A Lee sizer can be polished out to a larger size with an electric drill, split wooden dowel and sandpaper pretty quickly.

Boolit Master

Too big can cause chambering issues. I had the same problem with key-holing when I stared out with the 40S&W using a Lee sizer die marked .401" that was sizing to .400". Opening it up to size at .401" cured that problem.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

As mentioned before, the extra size can cause chambering problems. It will not cause over pressure issues. It takes very little pressure to swage a boolit down a couple of thousandths. Your gun won't even notice assuming it will chamber at the larger size.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the help. Never thought about opening up the sizing die. It is now .402 and everything works great

I love it when a plan comes together.

You can open up your sizer with a wooden dowel, wet/dry sandpaper and a little oil. I opened up my Lee push through .314" sizing die to 0.315" for my 91/30 pretty easily this way. Do a search on this site for instructions.

Boolit Bub
    That is exactly what I did

Yep, being able to freely chamber and extract the unfired cartridges is what's important. As long as you can do that you're golden.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Grand Master

Jes a FWIW post (and not meant to be a hijack. My mind jes went to bullet size and pressure and thought of this). Folks are talking about lead bullet size and over pressure. I saw an extensive article on a rimfire rifle chambered in 22 lr but with a barrel, in .17 cal. (it would prolly take me 10 days to find it, if I looked). The bullet was swaged down the .005" and the cases extracted/ejected normally. The elongated bullets actually penetrated much better than "normal" 22 ammo and there was a velocity increase...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I started loading .40 cal. for my KelTec Sub2K and I went straight for the .401 Lyman dies and cast and sized a pile of them.......Turns out they were keyholing and leading badly (too small). I then cast a bunch more and just tumble lube Aloxed them and shot them "as cast". They shoot straight and they also are quite accurate with just a slight lead wash that wipes right out. I want to try to PC them and then size them back to .401 and see if that will make a difference. My theory echoes the ones above.....If it fits big try to shoot it. My .40 cal. ammo passes the "plunk test", but some are a little tight going in. They shoot great though.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    What does PC or PCing mean. I got no clue

Boolit Master

When I first saw the title, "How big is too big?" I just thought, "HUH?"

PC=Powder coating.

David

('cause Politically Correct is fightin' words here.)
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

PC - Powder Coating. A good application of poly on cast boolits that prevents leading. Good.
    PC - Political Correctness (or Public Cowardice). Keeping yer mouth shut for fear of "offending" someone. Load of *#!@$#@!!!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys

Boolit Mold
    Power coating is the best