Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Pan lube my already TL'ed bullets?

Boolit Buddy

Pan lube my already TL'ed bullets?

Hello everyone. Our weather today here in South Central KY was sunny and brisk. I finally got outside a bit, and of course that inspires me to finally get back to the range. Fantastic.
    Last year I began casting my own, with bunches of patience and help from the wonderful people here. Thank you again so very much.
    In casting for my shooting hobby I have no choice but to stay within my very limited budget, and I chose tumble lubing exclusively. I can't afford the expense of pressure lubing. I use the 45-45-10 recipe talked about here, and like it a lot. I cast, lube, size then re-lube as taught.
    I only use Trail Boss powder and like the ease of use it allows as well as the lower velocities it offers.
    My trouble is that the bullets I cast from WW for my Ruger 77/357 carbine ( my favorite rifle for many reasons) seem to be running out of lube by the time they get to the last 3 inches of the barrel. After about 10 shots from a clean barrel , the 50 yard 3/4 inch groups begin opening up to 2 1/2 inches until I scrub the bore again.
    I use a 140 grain RCBS 38-140-CM mold, and size to .358. There's only one grease groove in this bullet.
    All my current bullets have already been tumble lubed and are awaiting my loading.
    My question is can I now additionally pan lube the sized and tumble lubed slugs I have on hand? Maybe that would help out in the deteriorating group trouble if indeed the slugs are running out of lube. Would I have to re-size all the slugs again after pan lubing? or would they sort of pop out ready to use? I've never tried pan lubing but have watched several Youtube videos about the process.
    Thank you again everyone so very much. I did try searching here before asking, but I couldn't find a clear, specific answer. If there's a link to a thread about what I'm asking, please feel free to direct me instead of rehashing an old topic.
    If changing lube methods doesn't work all I know to do is to see about lapping my barrel, which I have strongly considered many times though I don't see any obvious leading in any one specific area. Don
    Last edited by Tallbald; 02-18-2016 at 11:51 PM.

Boolit Master

I switched to pc, but you can certainly add more layers of lube. Is it a tl mold? Of course you can tl either, but the micro grooves seem to carry more of the to lube. I have dip lubed the driving bands on pc'd tl style bullets for a 06 just as a little insurance. I use Bill's and just dip the bands and set the bullet on wax paper to dry. Repeat as needed.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

Have you slugged your bore? Is boolit fit good (0.001" to 0.002" over groove diameter)? If the boolits are undersize at all you may be getting some gas cutting resulting in that leading.

Is the boolit plain base or gas check and if GC are you using gas checks?

Yes, you should be able to dip lube as jcren points out or pan lube though the pan lubing might melt off the tumble lube... which shouldn't matter anyway as it will just become part of the pan lube.

Longbow

Banned

I would just pain lube or dip lube. [use a bees-wax based lube]
    then run through the sizer.
    I'd also double check your boolit diameter.

Boolit Master
    How much neck tension do you have?
    I ended up in the same predicament once and didn't think much of it until I noticed my overall length was shrinking. Turned the excess lube was working it's way up as the boolits were seating and it filled the nose punch, causing each one to seat a little deeper than the last.
    You won't have to re-size them but if you're seating them in a press, watch for excess lube. If your case necks are loose enough to thumb-seat you won't have a problem.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

As R5R pointed out, check the diameter of the sized CB's as the size that dies are marked are not always correct. I have had San Diego made Star dies that size smaller than marked as well as the last 3 Lee dies I bought. I use a micrometer to measure but good quality verniers can work in a pinch. It is quite easy to open up sizing dies and there are a number of posts on this forum to describe the method. If you get stuck feel free to pm me.

Pa(i)n lubing does work but is a labor of love. Dip lubing does work but is a little messy and I would recommend you try either to see if the lubing works and then it is decision time. Considering your limited budget you may want to consider another mold more suited to TL such as those from Lee. I have a number of custom made (Ranch Dog) rifle molds that use the TL grooves and these work perfectly with Lee Alox, 45-45-10 or BLL fired from my Marlin micro-groove rifles.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I would just pain lube or dip lube. [use a bees-wax based lube]
    then run through the sizer.
    I'd also double check your boolit diameter.
    I fully concur with the above save for the need of sizing if the bullet fits. Pan lubing won't benefit a tumble lube bullet much so sould recommend investing an a good grease groove bullet.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

He is using a grease groove bullet, guys. They're already tumble lubed and he's asking about pan lubing on top of that.

Yes, it will work fine. I've fired thousands of rifle boolits first tumbled in Alox and then dipped in my molten waxy lube mixture. And I've dipped boolits in liquid Alox, which as I recall is Ranch Dog's preferred method of lubing his microbanded gas check boolits.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."