Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Jacketed slug success, finally

Jacketed slug success, finally

I know these are not cast slugs, but I have learned so much from this forum, I thought I'd post my results. Pictured is my 650 grain swaged slug. It did not do well with a roll crimp. It was tearing the hull, greatly effecting accuracy. A fold crimp for this particular slug was the answer. I was rewarded with a 4 inch 4 shot group at 90 yards. These were shot out of my H&R ush with red dot scope. I loaded with federal hull, 4227, 1 bpgs, and 1 fs12. Nice load at 1450 fps, but wow that load is dirty. I'm only getting .003 case head expansion, so I think I can speed them up a bit. Maybe that will clean the load up. But I don't think I'm going to get in much more powder There is room for improvement, for sure. D

Attachment 161035 Attachment 161036

Banned

"A fold crimp for this particular slug was the answer. I was rewarded with a 4 inch 4 shot group at 90 yards."

I figured that was the way to go. 3,035 ft lbs, that is a serious slug you got going. I really like it. The result are more than good.

Thanks for the help jmort. I'm quite pleased.. I think I got some adjusting to do on my new mec loader. Crimps not exactly factory desirable yet. But I'll get it worked out. D

Banned

I have come to conclude that crimps need neither be pretty or perfect. Who would not want ultra-slick looking fold crimp? But, the 4 shot group you got is really good. Seems like you got the crimp about "perfect."

I've got about 1/8 compression on the flex seal, I can see it flattened out a little through the hull. I've got a couple of rounds sitting on the bench just to see if crimp opens up..so far, so good..

In Remembrance

How did you make the slug? Im very interested in those!
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

I take it you will not be deer hunting this fall with a pistol caliber rifle. Nice work! Is your slug groove diameter?

BB

These slugs are swaged..basically no different than any other swaged bullet just larger. Jacket with pre sized core, seat core, then point form..these particular slugs are not groove diameter. These are .725, the largest measurement I can get on my USH is .727. That being said, these slugs are tough. I believe I'm going to have to add an annealing step into the process. By the time I size the jacket and run it into the dies a couple of times, it really gets work hardened. I had a squib load I had to tap back out of barrel with a dowel, slug was well engraved and i encountered quite a bit of resistance. D

Interesting choice for powder. How did this slug start its life?

Ideally I'd like to find a different powder. Powder fowling is bad, lots left in the barrel. But as everyone knows certain powder availability is hit or miss. I would like to find a bit bulkier powder, then put a generous hollow point on the slug to make it longer, and move into a 3 inch case with same components. Get it closer into that pesky forcing cone. I'm sure accuracy can still be improved..Reloader 17 has been mentioned quite a bit, but i still haven't found a jug to try yet. D

Boolit Master

Got alliant Steel? Generally lower pressure loads.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

No steel. But I did find some longshot and 800x.

I've been getting a number of pm's and questions about how I've been making my slugs. I can post a step by step pictorial here if you guys want. Or over in swaging section. Kinda outline the process and materials. Feedback? D

Quote Originally Posted by uncle dino View Post
    I've been getting a number of pm's and questions about how I've been making my slugs. I can post a step by step pictorial here if you guys want. Or over in swaging section. Kinda outline the process and materials. Feedback? D
    I would love to hear it.

In Remembrance

either place is fine, but if you do it in swageing can you link to it here?
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

If a 2 3/4" plastic base federal hull with a 209a primer, Ive got an old IMR pdf that calls for 25 grn 800x in a wad cup with 1 1/2 oz lead shot...11,000 psi. Generally (grn of salt taken here) the slug would produce less pressure. But since you mentioned the tight fit would maybe load 24 grn and about 20' of string on the trigger. oNce the bullet is engraved pressure should not be issue, as a fellow here told me regarding my zinc slugs, a mallet and dowel are low ft/lbs compared to 10,000 psi. Be safe!
    http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR..._reloading.pdf

Also the 800x will take up less space to help with your crimp. Hand weigh as it won't meter. If you shoot and the hull ejects normally, prolly ok. Use hulls with good legible headstamp and use that to see if hull flattened significantly.
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 02-17-2016 at 08:32 PM. Reason: addition
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill