Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BB94 in 375 Winchester

Boolit Grand Master

It's a Top Eject, BB047XXX.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, we seem to have several new threads on 375s now! More reading and reasearchin, almost as good as casting ans shooting,, well better than TV anyway.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

The 375 and 38-55 are two of my favorite cartridges but for most folks they just don't make sense. They each have their quirks and strong points. I enjoy the history of both cartridges, their similarities and differences.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    Ive really found I use my 375win as a 38-55... for what it is the 375 hot rod can be almost too much!? but id prefer to have the 375bb 94 as opposed to a 38-55, just if the need be to hot rod it..

would love to see photos of some big critters shot with either!

S3W

Boolit Master
    Sambar375WCF , I agree. I like the idea that I do not have to be concerned about "shooting it loose" with hunting loads. Knowing that it is overbuilt for what I want, without undue weight penatly, is ideal in my mind.
    I jumped on the NOE buy for the 375449, I'm #10 on the list so the run will be scheduled soon. For now I will work with the Lee 250gr, really hope it shoots well.
    I made a plug gage for 2.125 case length and my chamber is about .015 too short for the "long 38-55s. I am still going with the long brass(100 anyway) and trim to fit my actual chamber depth. That should eat up some of the throat length and the thinner neck will let me work with boolits up to .380 at least.
    I measured the reformed 30-30 neck thickness and it is only.001 less than the 375 Winchester at .011, still enough room for a .378 boolit. Going nuts waiting for my dies and mold, I just can't enjoy pulling the trigger at $2 a pop when I can load them for 10 to 16 cents a piece. The rest of the factory loads will pay for my loading/casting hardware with change left over!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

I jumped on the GB as well, didn't realize interest had grown. Thanks for the alert. I have a good Lyman 375449 for my 375 Win and the (fairly) new Lyman 380681 for my 38-55's but the NOE mould in a PB/GC combo will give me more flexibility. I can't figure out if my 38-55's like the 380681 but I know the 375449 is a proven design. My Lyman 375449 drops an excellent boolit for the 375 but it's too small for my 38-55's. I'd also like to be able to cast PB's for my BB. The 38-55's have no use for a GC as far as velocity goes but sometimes a GC just shoots better.

Boolit Master
    That was what I was thinking, with a GC option I can use them if needed for accuracy or for a softer alloy to hunt with. Still have the PB ones for general use. Have you experimented much with size on the 375 Winchester. I just ordered a .378 H&I and am having swecond thoughts. I was going to start out on the smallish end and open it if needed, but then I know it has a big throat and ... oh well.. Any way Midway and TOW have 38-55 Starline in stock. TOW is less than midway!

Boolit Grand Master

Which case length, 2.125? I like doing business with TOW but I'm addicted to their knife kits, lol.
    I've done absolutely no experimenting with the Lyman 375449 in my BB. Sized it to .379, lubed the two lower grooves, installed a GC and loaded it over 32 grs of Rx7. YMMV but this initial load exceeded my expectations so I loaded another 50 rds and put that project to bed.

Boolit Master
    Yes 2.125 length, may have he shorter too.Ordered 50 of them and 12 english flints, yeah strange combination I like knives too, always collecting scrap steel for the forge, have a desk full of O1 and A2 scrap drops.
    That is the load I am planning to hunt with if it shoots resonable. I like RL7 and use it in several different rounds so I keep an 8LBer around.

The Winchester84BB rifles are nice...

The top eject models unlike other post-64 '94 do not have Steel plated cast receivers.
    They are STEEL like the pre-64 and the later 94AE rifles...

But if you decide on metallic slghts (Lyman or Williams) do be aware that the 94BB's require a different mounting base
    to clear the wider vertical reinforcing rib for the locking bar in the action.

Compare it to a Non-BB 94 and you'll understand what I mean... and you'll be able to spot a Winchester 94BB at a distance ever more...

AD

Boolit Mold
    This is true above mate regarding the Willaims sight, although I have a standard one on mine an never bothered changing the right one, it works fine with a slight offset I guess.... shot a duck at 150m thru the peeps on a dam bank yesterday, so im happy enough for the bigger critters hehe.

good to know they are strong steel actions...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    There is an "Active Group Buy" going on at NOE for a 375449 mould clone designed to drop .379 minimal. Both PB and gas-check designs are available (even combos), along with hollow-point options in the RG styles.
    You would be hard pressed to find a better choice for the 375 Win in a BB lever action.
    The RCBS 37-250 works well, too.
    The Win BB 375 is a fun gun. I'm very happy with mine.
    What is this "Active Group Buy" going on at NOE for a 375449 mould clone called? Is it now a stock mold? I checked the active group buys and didn't find a .379 mold buy.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    What is this "Active Group Buy" going on at NOE for a 375449 mould clone called? Is it now a stock mold? I checked the active group buys and didn't find a .379 mold buy.

379-279-FN (379449) is in the "Last Call" sub-forum. It was moved recently and scheduled... You can still get in on it.

Boolit Master

379-279-FN (379449) is in the "Last Call" sub-forum. It was moved recently and scheduled... You can still get in on it.
    Thanks! I ordered a 2 cavity GC aluminum mold. Brass is nicer to look at but I doubt that I will wear out aluminum.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post

has a smoother action than most post 64 Winchesters I've played with.

The BB94's had forged steel receivers, and not receivers made via sintering, like all the other 1964-to-1983 Model 94's - which was stronger, and happily also polished up nicer the the sintered receivers (ergo, a very nice blue job).

Boolit Master
    Where is this sub forum.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

I had an immaculate one in a top eject about 20 years ago. If I had a list of five guns I'd like to have back, it would be on the list.
    A great cast bullet cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Well I have been shooting it some with the Lee 255 gr. This BB94 is more 38-55 than 375Win in measurments. It has a .377 bore and 2.110 chamber depth. I trimmed the long 38-55 starline to 2.100 and loaded a case full (34gr) of AA4064 behind the Lee plain base boolit. Shoots well and really thumps the tin cans and rocks, this things a ball I will get it on paper next week. The rest of this week is dedicated to the TN state skeet shoot with my son. By the way, 6ft of water will not stop that boolit on 8.5 gr of unique! No more testing in the pool

I bought my BB94 early in 79 (BB0029XX) and I'm shooting a LBT 380-225 LFN GC really well. I'd like a heavier bullet like the 379-279 and was wondering how that is working out for the members that are using it in both the PB and GC versions. Also for those who are casting the 379-279 what diameter are those bullets dropping at out of the molds with your alloy?
    Last edited by RAD57; 02-15-2016 at 08:04 AM.