MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High volume lead smelting advice wanted

Just a redneck idea that I have had rolling around in my head for a while. My son and I have talked about finding a sail boat keel to smelt. We thought about using a cast iron bathtub with several propane burners under it to melt the large chunks. What thoughts do y'all have about that idea? Is it going to be one of those "hold my beer, I want to try something" things?
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Moderator Emeritus

I would think a cast iron bathtub full of lead, or even half full, would exceed the structural strength of the tub. I have visions of molten lead streams flowing from the shattered cast iron tub...........

Even a propane tank smelting pot will easily hold about 150 pounds of molten lead, if that gives you a reference point. Cast iron tubs are designed to hold about 400 pounds of human and water, so you'd exceed that in short order I would think. Cast iron is also very brittle, and not particularly thick in those tubs, and I don't have any idea what the porcelain would do under the heat and weight conditions it would have to endure.

For large smelting operations, a welded pot from 1/4" plate steel would be stronger, provided the welder does a good job. I'd also probably go with maybe 3/8" plate for the bottom. It certainly doesn't have to be round, so a rectangular vessel would work fine, as long as the supports are constructed in such a manner as to hold about twice the weight you figure you'll put in it. A bottom pour spout, or even a side pour spout, would be much preferable to ladling, in my opinion. I'm currently ladling from two propane pots with a 5 pound capacity ladle and it gets tiring after several hours..

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ashhoe View Post
    That's one heck of an indoor range!
    If I can still do math correctly, that's 284.1196347031963 180gr bullets per hour. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 6 months.
    That's a lot of bullets.
    for 1 position maybe its 15 to 20 positions??

Thanks for the Gibbs slap Mr. ReloaderFred. Sometimes I over think stuff and sometimes I way under think them. As you so kindly pointed out, I have not thought out the bath tub idea very well. I can't imagine what even a half full bath tub of lead would weigh. Thanks for pulling my head out.

Moderator Emeritus

Not a problem. I'd hate to see anyone get badly burned from an accident.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Hay jeepvet, ever think about using an old horizontal air compressor tank? Add some better legs and a big burner or two and you could even use the moisture drain as a bottom pour! Even a small craftsmen 20-30 gallon tank would make a nice pot and hold quite a bit.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Or a 100 lb propane tank, sliced lengthwise? It would probably need extra legs under it, of course, and several burners along its length. Perhaps you could call it a "Frankensmelter"!

Boolit Master
    Attached are photos of my bottom pour smelting pot made out of an old propane cylinder. I can melt over 200 pounds of clean ingots fairly quick.
    Attachment 160617

I built a smelting pot out of a 25 pound propane tank much like the one that Dragonheart shows in post #28. mine is not quite as pretty because it is naked, but it works great. This is the thread I started when I built it. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-Smelting-Pot

It holds a lot of lead and is awesome for wheel weights. But my son and I were talking about a sail boat keel. In order to get one of those into my pot it would have to be cut into pretty small chunks. Being a tad lazy, I was looking for something that would be safe, easy to make, cheap and big so that we would not have to make so many cuts.

This is probably just a dream but sometimes big money and a lot of fun come from small dreams. It is kind of hard to find a sail boat keel in the dead center of Texas. Fun to think about anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

Another source for big chunks of lead is the counter balances for forklifts. If you know of a company that salvages old forklifts, that may be another option for you, and they don't float on water...........

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Polishmike View Post
    Got a Satan smelter coming. Thanks guys!

Smelting, casting, sizing, coating (hi-tek) should keep 2-3 guys employed full time.
    That seems small for what you are doing. I did the same thing as you melting down indoor range scrap. About a thousand pounds a week. I used a 20 gallon pot that was used to melt lino type from a print shop. Holds 3 5 gallon buckets of range scrap = 300lbs or so of clean lead. The jackets etc take up a lot of room the bigger the mouth the better. Have anyway to use natural gas? Where are you located i may need a new job
    You may want to look at adding some antimonty to your mix also my range scrap was only around 10bhn.

Vendor Sponsor

Polish Mike: another thought is to just smelt the lead a little more frequently. like once a month or so instead of waiting 6 months.

But it sounds like you already have the process sussed out.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Polish Mike: another thought is to just smelt the lead a little more frequently. like once a month or so instead of waiting 6 months.

But it sounds like you already have the process sussed out.

Randy
    The rubber trap gets mined every 6 months. It costs too much to have it done more frequently then that.

I'll post pictures once everything starts moving along. Im going to do a few batches in the fish fryer next week just to get an idea of where the hardness is with this stuff. I assume it is going to be pretty low as most of this stuff is jacketed target ammo.

Boolit Bub
    Welcome to the forum.
    What part of the world are you in?

I would recommend 2 pots one for refining and one for alloying. You will need to alloy the lead to make good bullets, the fill out will be difficult with the auto-cast machines. It will need to be VERY clean for the casters pot. So it does not clog the small dripper orifices. Fluxing with a powder flux is best for the machines from my experience.

A great lead smelter is a old bear brewing stand for heating the modified brew kegs. lead weights 94lbs per gallon so a 20qt stainless pot from local groceries store that is only about $15 will hold about 470lbs but safely 300-350lbs with plenty of room to stir and mix this is what i use. with the big $50 bayou banjo burner it will melt around 2000 lbs of ingredients a day. my brew stand has 3 of the burners but i only use one and have a dross bucket on one and a tool shelf on the other so if i need to i can go full crazy and bust out all 3 and the 15.5 gallon kegs and brew up . . 15X94='s ahh to much at once times 3. . yep to much to even care to do the math.

With the ballisti-cast machine did you get it with carrier bars that will allow you to use magma molds? the factory do not fit magma molds now they are special order only. and magma molds are often for sale at good prices and in very usable shape but finding a used and not destroyed B-C mold for the machine forget about it like it never happened because it will never happen.

Buy a lubing sizer you will hit several walls with the coating and if you look you will find plenty of users here who are going back to lube from years of coating and perfecting there technique. I personally hear from a lot of my customers that they tried coated bullets from several different companies and are totally un-happy. some love them. some hate them. lube is going to win in the end.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgtonory View Post
    That seems small for what you are doing. I did the same thing as you melting down indoor range scrap. About a thousand pounds a week. I used a 20 gallon pot that was used to melt lino type from a print shop. Holds 3 5 gallon buckets of range scrap = 300lbs or so of clean lead. The jackets etc take up a lot of room the bigger the mouth the better. Have anyway to use natural gas? Where are you located i may need a new job
    You may want to look at adding some antimonty to your mix also my range scrap was only around 10bhn.
    I watched the Satin video and have to agree it's small in compairson to my propane tank and I think it's going to take a long time to process your lead. the small pot looks like it would be great if you are processing mainly lead with little else in the mix, but I have processed several thousand pounds of range lead dredgings and I get a lot of jackets, plastic, sand, etc in the mix. Volume wise you will be skimming off way more than you will get back in lead, so a large pot gives you the necessary room to work. From the time I turn on the heat I am pouring lead in about 45 minutes. I don't fill my pot completely keeping it to a little over two hundred pounds of ingots. My biggest problem is I only have five 4 pound ingot molds, which slows my process as I am waiting for them to cool enough to pour more.

Boolit Grand Master

One advantage to a big pot size is if production is wanted and enough ingot moulds are available 2 people can be pouring ingots at the same time. Another big plus is a 100-150 lb pot and a 400-500lb pot is there is more alloy in the big pot for more ingots all the same blend. Blending the largest batch possible can be a big plus when casting large runs of bullets or batches of ammo. Its easier to tune adjust set ups every 500 lbs than every 150 when the alloy might chamge slightly. Another trick is if your casting pot holds 10 ingots use 2 ingots from 5 batches and you know have a batch of alloy of much greater amount. To do this each pot needs to be issued a lot number as to pot ran from and stamped into ingot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    One advantage to a big pot size is if production is wanted and enough ingot moulds are available 2 people can be pouring ingots at the same time. Another big plus is a 100-150 lb pot and a 400-500lb pot is there is more alloy in the big pot for more ingots all the same blend. Blending the largest batch possible can be a big plus when casting large runs of bullets or batches of ammo. Its easier to tune adjust set ups every 500 lbs than every 150 when the alloy might chamge slightly. Another trick is if your casting pot holds 10 ingots use 2 ingots from 5 batches and you know have a batch of alloy of much greater amount. To do this each pot needs to be issued a lot number as to pot ran from and stamped into ingot.
    Good post, thanks.
    I know when I started melting down large quantities of identical ingots it made a big difference in maintaining the uniformity of my bullet weight.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I watched the Satin video and have to agree it's small in compairson to my propane tank and I think it's going to take a long time to process your lead. the small pot looks like it would be great if you are processing mainly lead with little else in the mix, but I have processed several thousand pounds of range lead dredgings and I get a lot of jackets, plastic, sand, etc in the mix. Volume wise you will be skimming off way more than you will get back in lead, so a large pot gives you the necessary room to work. From the time I turn on the heat I am pouring lead in about 45 minutes. I don't fill my pot completely keeping it to a little over two hundred pounds of ingots. My biggest problem is I only have five 4 pound ingot molds, which slows my process as I am waiting for them to cool enough to pour more.

The pot in the video is a 45lb model. I got the 200.

Boolit Master
    If you have access to an area that you can burn wood to melt the lead, it can be very cheap and you get some pretty good heat out of it too. I got a large house propane tank, cut about 1/3 off it. Got a 44 gallon drum and cut about 1/3 height too. Cut a hole in the 44 gallon drum to allow the propane tank to slip in and weld it in place. Cut a hole for a flue and one for adding wood.

I used this to melt indoor range scrap, it worked VERY fast, i feel i got a lot more heat out of the wood fire than i would have from any easily available propane burners. Also, the fuel was free.

I didn't have full days to melt it, but i did a good 500kgs worth in a day, that was working on my own with limited ingot molds. You can never have enough molds when doing a melt like that.

That is a serious range getting that much lead in only 6 months

Boolit Grand Master

Hard to believe it would be more cost effective to hire a man to smelt than buying virgin alloy by the pallet.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks