Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with Savage 219 in 30-30.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't like the idea of a filled screw hole over the chamber. It might be perfectly safe, but what if it lets go?

Is the barrel on a .30-30 219 thick enough to drill and install a full length liner? The muzzle of my .22 Hornet is only 9/16" (rough measurement).

Robert

Banned

I kind of feel the same way. I figured it'd be cheap enough to try, and if it didn't work out, could always have it drilled out and relined later.

I'm sure it's big enough for a liner, which is why I bought it. I also considered, and bought one, using one of these chamber inserts to shoot .32 S&W rounds through it. Haven't tried it yet.

In the end, I'll most likely have it relined, been thinking .38 Special or .357 Magnum would be the sensible choice, but it isn't really a sensible project.

Among other impulse buys I have made, I found a 20 gauge barrel that had been badly sawed off short (I think it's still well within legality) and badly painted with something. No bead on it. I'd originally thought to use it as a barrel stubb for a Rook rifle project, but have been thinking a short, open choked shotgun that can easily be broken in have would probably fit in the Givi top box on my Enduro bike, so it might have some value for trips poking around out in the country. I'll have to square up the muzzle and install a bead, but shouldn't be too hard.

Banned

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage 219 squirrels.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	160105

The photo is dark because it was just at dusk after sitting for 20 minutes or so. Both these were head shots (sometimes I'm better than I am) with cast .22 Hornet loads. I bought it locally a couple of years ago and it has endeared itself to me very quickly.

That WFN bullet in .22 Hornet has killing power way beyond its paper ballistics in my experience so far with it. It has kind of made me wonder whether a .32 S&W rifle would really be an advantage, I simply can't see it being any more effective on small critters and would use more lead per shot. It would have the advantage if I were to carry a pistol along of the same caliber, assuming I could develop a load that shot well in both.

In Remembrance

richodge66. I see from your photo that your 219 has a scope mounted. I would like to know what sort of mount was used so I might get mine done likewise. When I got my .30-30 model 219 is came with a 12 gauge extra barrel that has a poly choke type choke on it. I am looking to sell it reasonable if someone wanted it.Robert

Banned

The mount was already on it, it's one of the side mounts Weaver made for many things and I had to move some metal between the rings to get it to clear the adjustments on the scope I used. I had a real nice little Burris 4X I got from somewhere that is perfect for this rifle and it works well.

Just for kicks and because I had one lying around, a Weaver base for the H&R rifles is the right contour for the 219, though the one I have is a hair long to clear the rear sight (can be easily cut off) so I'd think it would be nothing for a guy to drill and tap a 219 for one of those which would be better than this side mount.

The .22 Hornet would have a lot of metal to drill and tap, I'd have to look at a .30-30 to see, but I would think it could be done easily. I noticed sisterjim had a top base mount on his, he might know more than me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine also has the side mount, which works well enough, but the scope is off-center to the bore line.

Brownell's Weaver chart says that the #12 and #30 top mount bases are what it takes for the 219; I would have went that way if mine wasn't already drilled and tapped for the side mount.

It doesn't take a very deep hole to get all the holding power needed when using 6-48 screws.

Robert

Banned

Some were made grovved like .22 rimfires. Not sure how that would work for .30-30, but the loads I shoot in the Hornet wouldn't shake one loose with that set up.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    The 219 L has tip off, but I drilled and tapped it anyway, as I did some really hot 30-30 loads in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sav 219L 30-30 drilled and tapped Weaver #74 shortened drilled and extra slots 3-14-2010.jpg   Sav 219L 30-30 with scope mounted 3-14-2010.jpg  

scope base

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	219viii.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	160273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040957.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	160274

"I noticed sisterjim had a top base mount on his, he might know more than me."

All I know I gleaned from here. The base is for a TC Encore from CCOP, I fitted it by rubbing it on emery paper that was layed on top of the breach. I used Goodsteel instructions from his sticky in gunsmithing section to the letter and sweated on the base. It has held for a year hot and cold; not heavy loads but reassuringly solid if you tap it.

Boolit Master

I've got a 220 20 ga. and found a 219 .30-30 barrel for it. The combo works just fine. I shoot a 150 gr loverin for general target work and get 50 yard groups just under 3/4 inch. I'm thinking about a light load with a round ball for squirrels. Anyone tried that?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I've got a 220 20 ga. and found a 219 .30-30 barrel for it. The combo works just fine. I shoot a 150 gr loverin for general target work and get 50 yard groups just under 3/4 inch. I'm thinking about a light load with a round ball for squirrels. Anyone tried that?
    As luck would have it, I hinted to the wife and she picked up on it, that I wanted a pretty little 220 in a local shop for Christmas, then today won a .30-30 barrel for it on gunbroker. Seems a .30-30 is one of those things I always have room for one more of. The barrel I won won't work on my 219s (doesn't have that little stud that cocks it on the 219). I hope it shoots as well as yours.

A while back, I tried some wadcutters designed for the .32 S&W Long I cast up in an old H&R .30-30 with five grains of Bullseye and it was pretty much one hole accurate at 25 yards, definitely good enough for small game. I'd guess a round ball would work just as well, maybe better.