RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smokeless equivalent load for a Trapdoor

Banned
    i'd try unique first, then either rel7 or 4198.

if you had a lever gun or a ruger or a handi-rifle(like i do) i would try trail boss. tb has high pressure, so i would NOT use tb.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the help. I tried a load of 8gr Unique behind a 400gr slug and it seems print dead on at 100 yards. Pleasant to shoot too.

I do have a Marlin 1895 before they came with micro groove barrels and a Pedarsoli rolling block. I am going to use up the powder I have on hand before I try any Trail Boss since I don't have any!

Boolit Buddy

This was the recommendation of Ross Seyfried years ago and it worked well for me. Mild and accurate.

Use 40% of the BP load of either H4198 or IMR4198. For example 70 grains of BP would be 28 grains of 4198. I used a nice dacron wad.

Boolit Man
    If you go to accurate powder's website, you'll find a reloading manual that includes load data for trapdoor rifles. I have used 5744 on many an occasion in old trapdoors and it works well. Then I tried real black powder and I was hooked. Shoot smokeless if you want, but if you want a real hoot shoot the old warhorse with what the creaters of it intended. You'll be hooked too.

With smokeless and the trapdoor, you have to be really careful of not double charging your cases. You're dealing with small amounts of powder and it is rather easy to make a mistake and not realize it. Also use some soft lead bullets... you want the bullet to bump up to fill an oversize bore. Superhard cast bullets may or may not group depending on your bore condition. Don't use jacketed bullets, you'll erode your rifling very quickly.

Here's the link for accurate's reloading guide: http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

Good luck with the old warhorse.
    NRA-Life Member
    Dabbler in Holy Black and Heathen Smokeless

"There are very few situations in life that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives."

Boolit Buddy

I have used numerous powders and black; I currently use Blackhorn 209, which is a smokeless powder. Bulky - I fill the case with 37 gr., a 1/8" hard felt wad and a 405 grain boolit. Excellent accuracy.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

IMR 4198 is what I use in my trapdoor with a tuft of dacron over the powder.

Banned

without a doubt, aa5744 - imho it's currently the best smokeless intended to replicate trapdoor loads in modern replica rifles. i've used many pounds of that powder for .40-65, .45-70, and .45-90 before admitting there's truly nothing better for an old gun or modern replica than the real deal holy black. amen, my brothers of the stink pole.

i have also concluded that using wads or fillers of any kind with air spaced smokeless rounds is the kiss of death awaiting to occur for firearm or human. for 2016, even the quigley match will not allow double based powders loaded with wads/fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i have also concluded that using wads or fillers of any kind with air spaced smokeless rounds is the kiss of death awaiting to occur for firearm or human. for 2016, even the quigley match will not allow double based powders loaded with wads/fillers.
    Yes, they added that rule after some double base powder load incidents.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Yes, they added that rule after some double base powder load incidents.
    and it'll be interesting to see how they enforce that rule.

Boolit Master
    I used Larry Gibson's 25gr 5744 load with 3/4gr Dacron (polyester) fill under a Lee 405 hollow base with good results