Load DataWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: well how did i do

Boolit Master

well how did i do

I have been looking for a Garand something that my Dad may have carried in WW2 he was in 3 major battles
    Ardennes Rhineland and Central Eurpe well this is what i got its a 1944 SA with new CMP stock on it Attachment 159649Attachment 159650Attachment 159651
    now i just need to work up loads for it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

The first thing my father told me about a Garand (be careful you don't want grand thumb!) Then i showed him my pointer finger witch was cut and bruised.He told me during basic training the guys who knew everything learned they didn't when it slammed shut on there thumbs. By the way nice looking rifle have fun with it!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dpoe001 View Post
    The first thing my father told me about a Garand (be careful you don't want grand thumb!) Then i showed him my pointer finger witch was cut and bruised.He told me during basic training the guys who knew everything learned they didn't when it slammed shut on there thumbs. By the way nice looking rifle have fun with it!!!
    thanks for the tip little late but thanks i was looking at a Garand a few weeks ago and someone left the bolt back in the gun library at cabelas and my thumb just found its way into the mag-well and no this is not the same garand LOL Attachment 159652
    and it Hurt like a SOB

I think you did great!!!! Now you're part of the M1 Thumb Club!

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

just about impossible to get caught by the bolt when your loading it. the temptaion to stick your fingers in there for cleaning or otherwise while the bolt is locked back is what really gets ya!

Once is a good lesson indeed!
    Looking for USGI M1 and carbine rifle parts, please PM me.

...try it with a Ljungman

Boolit Master
    Nice!! Lots of good loads out there. I have great success with 47 grains IMR 4895 or IMR4604 under a 150 grain projectile (30-06 case). I get 2750 fps on the chronograph and everything cycles nicely.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    That load is a great one for jacketed, but probably too hot for cast. Try around 32-36 grains of IMR/H 4895 and 170-200 grain cast, size at 0.310, make sure they are not into the lands for OAL.

Dave

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Nice!! Lots of good loads out there. I have great success with 47 grains IMR 4895 or IMR4604 under a 150 grain projectile (30-06 case). I get 2750 fps on the chronograph and everything cycles nicely.
    thanks for that load but I am having a hard time finding published loads for it

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

M1 Loads

I have been looking for a Garand something that my Dad may have carried in WW2 he was in 3 major battles
    Super idea to get the rifle your father carried! Do you know what his unit was? If so, some quick research will quickly help you tie down the exact locations of his battles. I was in Bastogne last year and ran into a fellow following his father's footsteps in that battle.

thanks for that load but I am having a hard time finding published loads for it
    A quick search of this site will produce lots of loads for the M1 Garand.

Hornady now has a separate section in their later loading manuals just for the M1 Garand.

I've always liked the heavy boolit with medium speed powder formula for M1 Garand cast boolit loads. My favorite boolits for the M1 are the Lyman 311332, 311334 and the 311299. Either 4895 powders or a near equivalent with the heavy boolits will give you accuracy and reliability with the M1's action.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 has lots of data covering the heavier boolits and moderate/medium speed powders.

With my M1 Garands, accuracy and reliability all come together at about 1,800 to 1,900 fps. Working up to that level is easy and will quickly get you sorted out with the M1.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 02-01-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    ...try it with a Ljungman
    Im sure my hakim will make a trip to the ER a sure thing. Nice buy . Hope it shoots as good as it looks