RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HiPoint carbine

HiPoint carbine

Lately I have been thinking of getting one of these. I know, they are butt ugly but everything I read is positive. Owners tell how great they are.
    Just wondering if anyone has dropped the action into some nice walnut.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    Lately I have been thinking of getting one of these. I know, they are butt ugly but everything I read is positive. Owners tell how great they are.
    Just wondering if anyone has dropped the action into some nice walnut.
    I have not really had mine apart but I don't think you could put it in a wood stock, the stock seems to be part of the action. I am not too thrilled with trigger either. I am happy with the gun overall, it is more accurate than I expected and is not fussy about ammo.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, a good trigger would be nice, but for what you pay for it, its not bad. Eaten everything I have fed it

Boolit Master

I have a good friend, who had a terrible life, bad family, violence, dirty dangerous jobs, been shot and stabbed, both trying to help someone else whom was being assulted, one time on a delivery job 3 young punks tried to rob him with ball bats, he gave them the beatings of their life and then drove them to a hospital.....anyhow, he's anyhow hi point fanatic, has a vest for his dog that carries one of his carbines and ammo.and mags.....he has all three flavors of rifle and carbine, says he can't break them, can feed them anything and they are so ugly he can't give them away and no one would steal em, says the same about his dog and his truck....he is correct on all counts.

Banned

I have never seen one in walnut.
    I have also never seen one fail to feed or shoot pretty good unless you use the aftermarket magazines.
    they are uglyish to many but they work.
    I have been looking at the 45 rifle version to go with the 9mm I have.
    all I seem to find are the new tactical type stocks and I just want the plain one.

the only thing I can complain about mine is the magazine capacity [which seems to be the biggest complaint amongst their owners]

I bought a .40 S&W (4095-TS) and have had quite a bit of fun with it. It's surprisingly accurate, but even more surprisingly heavy. I'm glad it doesn't have a grade AAAA walnut stock because then I wouldn't be able to toss it on the bench after sending a few pounds of lead down range. I disassembled it completly, including all of the stock components, and had it back together in about an hour. I don't believe that'll ever be necessary again, just wanted to see what it was all about. Get one in your favorite caliber and have some fun.

Boolit Mold
    I have one, a 4595. Ugly as heck but reliable as heck also. Eats anything I feed it, plenty accurate and I don't mind if it gets dinged up a little. There are plenty of after market triggers and many other parts ad well. The only con is the 9 round mags. This would be a perfect little csrbine if it had 30 round mags.

Get it you won't be disappointed.

Banned

What everyone else said. They're absolutely horrible pieces of junk except they're extremely accurate and unbelievably reliable. Buy three if you have the chance.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus

Friend has one, as mentioned reliable as heck and the first thing she grabs if the dogs alert. There are some mag holders to clip 2 together and all else fails if you run out of ammo it is heavy enough and well built enough to be used as a club. I have a C9 HiPoint pistol, same thing, I have ran 1500 rounds through it and other than swabbing out the barrel once I haven't cleaned it! Look for HiPoint test videos on youtube, they tried to destroy one... note tried!

Banned

It's on my list of things to get eventually, not sure which caliber, but leaning towards 9mm for brass availability.

Not to change the subject, but anyone have experience with the Citadel carbines in 9mm? They use Beretta 92 mags I'm told and aren't quite so weird looking as the high points, I'm sure they cost more. Seems like it would be similar in usefulness, I don't plan on using the rail systems to tack a bunch of stuff on one.

Boolit Master

My son has one,in 45,I think I like it more than him.Yes it will shoot anything you put in it.I plan to get one for myself,or trade him for his.Agreed on everything said so far,but would like to add..if only standard 1911 mags would fit.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Banned
    Bought a 4595 and purchased several large capacity magazines. Had to tweak the mags slightly to get them to work. Accurate little carbine and fun to shoot for all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Yeah, a good trigger would be nice, but for what you pay for it, its not bad. Eaten everything I have fed it
    Is there anyway to tweak the trigger?

What gear said, and I did buy 3 a .40sw and a pair of 9mm's.

I have the stock to drop it into, wife brought it home from the second hand store, ebony forend tip, recoil pad, the whole deal.

But, it would take a LOT of very careful inletting. And the HiPoints go together with cross pins.
    And you still have the steel shroud over the action making it the worlds ugliest gun.

But, a good tool does not have to be pretty. Ever seen a well loved, well used and abused pipe wrench look pretty?
    No pink bows, half the paint gone, some rust, but man can that thing turn a pipe.

For me the HiPoint carbines are the same way.

Ugly as sin, rock solid bet the farm dependable. Very accurate at reasonable distances. My 9mm's outshoot my .40sw at distance. But at the 20 foot mark on the indoor pistol range one mag out of the .40sw will make a 2" black stick on target disappear. I mean there is dang little black showing after 10 shots in the bull have chewed things up.

You could write your name with that thing if you wanted to burn the ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Man, ...

This thread just made about about $700 leave my pocket. Ordered one in .40 and another in .45.

Can't wait to get them.

Got a 995 in a multi gun deal and thought it was uglier than our east Texas pulp wood haulers--then took it to the range with some of the grand kids. To this day they like it better than anything in the safe to play with. I have a kel tec with 9mm glock mags, a Thompson in 45 and a Camp 9 and they like the "ugly beast" best. We even use it with the aftermarket mags after patiently "tuning" the lips a little. Function before form.

It also travels with Mama Bear and I in the fifth wheel--stick in the closet and it is backup to whatever handgun we are carrying at the time. If it is stolen, I don't loose much. Heck, I am looking for one in .40 Smith now--need a carbine for all the pistol calibers we load and shoot.

One concession is that I don't keep it in the big safe with all the fine blued finish and shiny walnut stocks. That way it does not get a complex when shunned by the "pretty" set of guns. Just store it with the working, saddle worn guns and every one is happy.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Moderator Emeritus

I had a older style carbine in 40.
    As everyone else proclaimed, it cycled all the ammo I fed it, and was accurate enough for a pistol caliber carbine. I sold it at my auction last year, as I decided I am not a fan of pistol caliber carbines. I'd rather shoot a rifle caliber rifle. Exception:my Marlin 1894s in 41 mag...but to be honest, a hot load of H110 and the RD 255gr RF...it's almost a rifle caliber
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I doubt I would own a HP pistol, but I too own a 4095. It's a fun plinker! I had a little problem when it was new (burr in the chamber!!), sent it back, HP fixed and returned it within weeks. Runs like a champ now.

Boolit Master

Oh heck I bought the 45 and the 40 no one had the 9 at the time , shoots , feeds all the cast , ugly as sin , I would not put good wood on one , they are what they are a reliable pistol caliber short rifle , shoot them more then the old thompson .

Break a part , your fault , call them they send new part no complaints and no charge , Have seen one case head separation in a hi point 40 pistol , extractor and spring and a unhooked spring and back to running , Did not hurt it at all , they are tough and ugly, for fun cheap plinkers , they are hard to beat

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I've wanted to buy a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in .40 S&W, love the way that it folds in half

https://youtu.be/DM0IXG_TBTA
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...