MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Updating my Tru-Line Jr to utilize a 7/8 carbide sizing die.

Boolit Buddy

Updating my Tru-Line Jr to utilize a 7/8 carbide sizing die.

I happened upon a spare turret at a gunshow, I think I paid 3 $ for it. I had my BIL machine one of the holes for 7/8-14. I used a dremel to get some clearance for the lock ring.

I have dies for some pistol calibers, some with FL dies, but lubing cases and the force required to resize has discouraged me from utilizing the T-L Jr for loading pistol. I was a bit skeptical, just how much improvement would a carbide die make.

Opening up the turret for a 7/8 die doesn't leave much of the boss. This will depend on the casting, but on mine it had disappeared completely for about 1/3 of the circumference.

I tried it out and it works well, easily sizing 44 Mag and 357 Mag cases. On a normal 7/8 press you don't really appreciate the advantage of a carbide die, but in the T-L Jr, it's pretty amazing. I set my T-L Jr up for 357 and it works pretty slick.

I checked Ebay, and it appears as if the person that makes or made 7/8 turrets for the T-L Jr isn't selling them on Ebay any more. My brother in law owns a machine shop, and has the equipment to do the modification. Not that it's complicated, enlarge the hole and tap for 7/8-14, the "trick" is to have the hole indexed to the other holes and to have the treads square with the plate. He gave me some lip, told me that "More information would have meant less Dremel work". My Bad.

It's not that obvious in the picture, but the original paint on the turret doesn't match the "Hemi Orange" I used on the restored press. Perhaps it's time to restore my T-L Jr Gen I, and repaint this turret at the same time.

Update: After using it to reload ammunition, and removing the handle after each session, it became apparent that a slight bend to the handle was in order. I've seen the bent handle trick before, but I wanted to keep the press "as issued". Space is a premium in my shop, and I have to walk real close to the press to get by. The bent handle lets me keep the handle in the press and have room to walk by. It works great, and the only function that is a bit funky is seating primers. The ergo for that was better with the straight handle.

Last edited by nitro-express; 01-23-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: add picture of handle mod

I was thinking about making some replacement turrets for a Tru-line that I have. A good friend and mentor has a CNC machine shop and I do some programming. Others talked me out of it though and I am going to save up for a lee classic turret.

Two things were deal breakers for me... I didn't have the shell holders that I needed (needed 4 of them), and at $20 ea. you can get two lee turrets for the price of one shell holder! The other thing was that even though I neck size with a collet die, there just isn't the height there for easy loading of rifle cartridges, and that is 95% of what I load

I think they are really neat little presses for those that load pistol. Good to know that the carbide sizer works so well with the limited leverage.

-Dragon

Boolit Master
    I have loaded .44 special/mag, .45 acp, .45 CowBoy Special and .32 H&R Magnum on my converted Tru-Line Jr., I still lube the sizing ring with a Q-tip about every 7 or 8 cases. It's easier on the old girl.

These days mine is set up most of the time for my .32's. I love this little press and find using it to be very relaxing. Even chasing spent primers (no collection system.) does not bother me.

The True-line Jr. is a fine little piece of history that I am glad to have updated and extended it's useful life!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10712811_10205257176058338_5723044975506089944_n.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	157323
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Buddy
    To gain a little extra room (or material another turret later) you can use the die nuts that Dillon sells for their 650 / 1050 press.

The Dillon are 1 inch, instead of the Lee 1-1/8 inch.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 of them, one set up for 32-20 using 7/8 dies in a new turret a friend made me. The other I want to setup for 32HR/SWL/327 with 7/8 dies. You have given me the idea to just open my extra turret to 7/8 ,, Gotta go home and do some measuring,, Thanks
    These are great little presses to desicate to a favorite small round, my 32-20 setup has been a charm!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    I've thought about the same thing... a dedicated press for my little 32s with one 7/8 X 14 station for a TC sizing die... that shouldn't overtax my little Jr. Now I've just got to get a round tuit!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Brasse View Post
    To gain a little extra room (or material another turret later) you can use the die nuts that Dillon sells for their 650 / 1050 press.

The Dillon are 1 inch, instead of the Lee 1-1/8 inch.
    That would have saved me a bit of Dremel time getting some clearance. Thanks for that tip.

Nice work on the Tru-line.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dragon View Post
    I was thinking about making some replacement turrets for a Tru-line that I have. A good friend and mentor has a CNC machine shop and I do some programming. Others talked me out of it though and I am going to save up for a lee classic turret.

Two things were deal breakers for me... I didn't have the shell holders that I needed (needed 4 of them), and at $20 ea. you can get two lee turrets for the price of one shell holder! The other thing was that even though I neck size with a collet die, there just isn't the height there for easy loading of rifle cartridges, and that is 95% of what I load

I think they are really neat little presses for those that load pistol. Good to know that the carbide sizer works so well with the limited leverage.

-Dragon
    If you want to pursue this, sounds like you have a ready made market for 5-6 of them, right here. With the CNC, 6, or so, is every bit as easy as one, no? I'll take one!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

The Tru-line has already traveled to it's new home so I no longer have a pattern to use for measurements

Quote Originally Posted by nitro-express View Post
    I used a dremel to get some clearance for the lock ring.
    If maintaining originality is important, you might check out the Dillon lock dies. They are much smaller than others, and may eliminate the need to dremel some clearance.