MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Old primers

Boolit Bub

Old primers

has anyone seen this primer be four someone left three boxes over the gun club for

Boolit Bub
    Sorry the pictures didn't go

Boolit Master
    Any chance The primers look like regular 209 but are shorter stubbier and have two lateral flashroles?

Boolit Bub
    The package says Eley 1B shotgun primers
    Nothing I've seen like this in my 45 years of reloading

Boolit Grand Master
    My google-foo isn't working very well tonight, but from what I found they are meant to reprime the battery cup that is normally used in shotgun primers.

I started reloading shotguns in 1976 or 77 and have never reprimed the primer.

Robert

Boolit Bub

Boolit Bub

Boolit Master
    This made me more curious. Looking at the shape of the primers the casing/hull should be an almost straight hole with a small step where the primer would stop before falling inside the case... Never seem these not even in books/pics. Just wondering. I have an almost full box of 5.45 (#50) primers meant for paper hulls of .410 and 32ga (12mm and 14mm in French parlance "carabine de jardin)) for which I have no use because there are no paper hulls here anymore. The fit the description i gave earlier (lateral flash hole etc). Maybe I could open one brass shell and shoot them in it then use it as wad cutter since it won't accept a 209 primer anymore (#50 is a bit wider).Keep your primer as relic or try to sell them as such to collectors...

Boolit Bub
    Those are Eley sure fire primer's meant for reloading the primer battery cup instead of replacing the whole primer ,They went into obsolesense 40 year's ago.

Boolit Master

Well, I sure learned something new today. I had never seen anything like this. Never heard of just replacing the battery cup.

Boolit Master
    Hi Charlie, how's going? I've read in my old books and manuals (mostly American) that CCI (if I remember right) sold years ago something like a berdan primer, used to recap the 209 primer. But these Eley's are surely out of anything I've seen or read about!

Up here in Canada CIL (Canadian Industries Ltd.) also marketed shotgun primers without the battery cups. A lot of the older shotshell presses were set up to deprime the inner primer from the battery cup of the 2 piece shotshell primer and then you seated one of these new primers into your old battery cup. This was common, especially with the old CIL paper hulled shotgun shells.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

CIL offered both these primers with just the primer and anvil, or the complete replacement shotshell primer in the battery cup. They were listed as the 4B & 4BP CIL primers.

(These must have been for those that were retired and had far more time to reload?)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Man
    I still have 1000 of the CCI's. They are marked "No.209 B Winchester size shotshell caps". They were also made in the 57 size for Remington hulls. I also have the tool to rseprime the Battery cups. It looks like a small arbor press.