Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: com.virus

Boolit Master

I've been an IT professional for about 25 years. All computers made in the last 10 years started out as pretty good performers. Today's ultra fast will be an also-ran in 5 years and not everyone can afford to upgrade constantly. For the vast majority that don't upgrade regularly Norton makes decent computers into pigs. Just my professional opinion. Avast! and Malwarebytes can run concurrently and both have free versions for home use. Their definition files are the same for free and paid programs so they will detect the same intrusions. The paid versions offer more ability to configure but don't always offer more ways to intercept intrusions so I've gone with the free versions on my home computers for years.

We use Symantec Endpoint Protection at work and it's pretty effective but I think Avast! and Malwarebytes are more agile in their response to new bugs and in their predictive programming that detects new undefined threats. We often have to wait 24-48 hours to get patches for newly discovered threats with SEP.

AVG seems to be about as effective as Avast! I am not a fan of Norton because it does slow down otherwise perfectly operating computers that may not be top of the line, latest and greatest with tons of RAM and SSD hard drives. I put Norton on my home desktop computer a few years ago and took it off within days because of the performance issues. Avast!, Malwarebytes and AVG don't consume a lot of resources and have had no perceptible impact on properly operating machines even if a few years old.

Running multiple antivirus programs is always a bad idea because each will likely detect the definition files of the other as viruses. One antivirus program and one anti-malware program can be run concurrently.

Apple products are not immune to bugs and as they become a larger portion of the market they are also a bigger target for virus and malware authors.

These are my favorites from the past few years:

Antivirus: www.avast.com

Anti-Spy/Ad-ware:

Super Antispyware: www.superantispyware.com

Malwarebytes: www.malwarebytes.org

Spybot Search and Destroy: www.security.kolla.de

Lavasoft Ad-Aware: www.lavasoft.com

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Download for free at www.timpc.com or www.filehippo.com
    Three utilities, CCleaner , Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntispyware.
    Follow the instructions to install, I went to Tim's Computers site and downloaded, use for computers at office and at home. This stuff seems to work.
    Gary

Boolit Master

I am trying a new one called Avira Free Antivirus 2016, even recommended by Consumer Reports. So far so go.....
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    + 1 for Linux. Both Debian and Ubuntu Free and 6 years with no virus.

Boolit Buddy
    Bitdefender: the free version. It is not a resource pig and is always rated very highly for protection.

Used to use AVAST, but it was becoming a tracker and resource pig. Cannot recommend it.

Vendor Sponsor

While on vacation in Florida last week, my gf's father's HP laptop was really sick, slugged to the hip in malware so bad it couldn't even run.

I installed Eset Nod32 64bit version and let it run. It found 135 instances of malware and suspect applications and cleaned it up pretty good. 43.6gb worth of temp files deleted let it start breating easier, and a defrag with Piriform had it running better than it was when new. Of course we uninstalled a few proggys he never used, and neutered the startup tab in task manager that had everything and it's brother loading and running on boot, ugh...

Give software engineers a fast dual core/quad core processor, and they find a way to slug it down to the speed of a 486 every time.

Just for kicks I d/l the Jan 2016 Microsoft Anti-spyware removal tool which is usually pretty good, and after running Nod32 the M$ tool did not find one suspect file.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I use Trend Micro. I bought a 20 year no cost update for less than $50 a couple of years ago. I can add up to ten computers to it. I get regular updates on the latest threats and month end reports with the number of tracking threats tuned away, viruses and malware threats addressed etc. It even tells me which sites they come from. They keep updating services too. Recently I got a free update that allows me to hover over a link before I open the page in 3-5 second it tells me of there is a danger within the link. It's effective enough that it recently became the main provider at my place of employment. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the advice, David2011

Linux "Mint" user .... using a linux system , it goes on and on and .........
    Oh , did I mention "versatile" ? , such a variety of systems to choose from ....
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Grand Master
    Reminds me of "who makes the best revolver?"......

I've used about everything previously mentioned, I've never had a problem, but some (like Norton) really suck up resources. I've been using Bitdefender for the last year or so and hardly notice it's installed.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore