Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Mag 25 Furnace

I order a Lyman mag 25 from cheaper than dirt for $215. + tax and shipping came out to $250.00. I had bought a very nice Lyman #61 and I am having a ball casting with it, so looking for more fun with the mag 25

Any picture yet?

Boolit Master
    I ordered a Mag 25 from CTD yesterday.They are apparently in stock.

Boolit Master
    Ordered mine from 'Grab-a-gun' $222 delivered. Gotta wait until Christmas to use it. It's going to be too cold then. I have one though. Looks nice, big.

Boolit Master
    I received mine from CTD.I haven't opened the box yet.Been too busy.

Boolit Mold
    As of today's date, (12/21/15) Grab-a-gun referenced by zombie wolf, still has two in stock. At a higher price though. $242 plus $5.99 shipping.

Boolit Mold
    I bought a Mag-25 back in September, and have cast probably 4K rounds thru it. Love the foundry pot, and PID control, but hated the mold guide that came with it. Could not believe Lyman would make such deceptive claims about mold fit. (Lee molds were claimed by Lyman to fit). I had to completely remove the guide and start over. I slotted the mold table in four places for bolts, and bought aluminum channel to fabricate my own guides that can be adjusted on both left and right side of table. Will accept any mold that I own now. If I knew how to place pics on this site, I would do it, but I don't. Great pot but very poor mold guide design. Really, how hard would it have been for a design engineer to purchase different molds that Lyman was claiming would fit, measure them and make a guide that would be compatible. Not rocket science. I was very disappointed in the mold guide, due to the hours, and expense of having to make it work after spending that much money on the pot.

Maiden fire up!
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

I hear you on the mould guide! My first casting session was going to be using my NOE mould for .30-06. It does not fit in the mould guide, it's about 1/16" too wide. I guess I will just freehand it like I had done with my Lee.

Like the previous post I will need to pick up some aluminum channel for some modifications.

Life is full of little challenges.

Boolit Buddy
    Received and set up my new Mag25 just after Christmas. Only two casting sessions with it and it went great. Like others, the mold guide is a bit too narrow. Haven't figured out how I want to modify it, but I will. Probably just spit it and add adjusting slots at the rear. Since I mostly use Lyman, RCBS & Saeco molds it works well with, I had no problems. My LBT and Lee 6-cavities are too wide. This replaced my 35 year old Lyman Mag20 which finally gave up the ghost. Mine seems to keep the temp within 2-4 degrees. As the temp came up to the set temp, I was expecting it to swing quite a bit over, but... unlike what I've heard about other controllers, it stopped at about 11º over, then cooled to about 2º under then went to about 6º over and finally settled in ±2º. Back to casting properly filled out bullets... Adding in 2lb ingots dropped temp about 25º, then went thru the same cycling process to return to the ±2º. Between the 2 sessons, I cast about 1,000 bullets of varying weights and sizes, from a 4 cavity Lyman .30cal, a double cavity 350gr .40cal, and several .45cals in a variety of weights.

I considered the RCBS Pro-Melt, but at nearly $100 more, I'd have to retrain myself in operating the pot using different hands for holding the molds, breaking them open and lifting the lever.

Color me "Orange"... er "Gray"!
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Man
    I ordered my LymanMag25 from Cabela's on Aug 7, 2015. Cabala's contacted me a couple times and asked if I wanted my money back or keep it on back order. I stayed with the back order and I received on Jan 9, 2016. I haven't used it yet. I am glad I waited on the backorder of $207. Does anybody know why these things are so hard to come by?

Boolit Master
    They aren't now...everyone has them in stock. Not for $207 though. Brownells has them for $241.00 on sale...
    [

That mold guide is a real pain. I have a lot of NOE mounds and they are all about a 16th too wide. Sooner or later someone will offer a replacement guide...I hope!

Boolit Master
    Is the mold guide removable?
    [

Boolit Mold
    Wonder if anyone has come up with a "Mod" for the Lyman Mag 25 Mould Guide. My H&G 6 Cavity
    moulds will not fit at all, would have to modify the whole works to get that done. Thanks!!
    Wally

Boolit Mold

Mag 25 Mould guide

Called Lyman today and their Customer Service says that they have heard this
    problem with the Mould Guide and they are sorry, but do not have a "MOD" for
    the Mag 25 Lead Furnace and that I could return it. I asked if the Lyman Tech
    people looked into this when they were in the planning stages for the lyman
    Mag 25 and the unstable Mould Guide. No answer For that. I would have to
    Modify for my own Moulds.
    mayhaw2

Boolit Mold
    I still wonder if anybody offers or has made an insulating cover.

Finally (March 12) picked up my Lyman pot from Cabela's at $207 + tax or $220 out the door. I'm hoping, given the delay, that any necessary production changes have been made but maybe just ways to make it cheaper?

Nothing useful to report. My moulds are all Lyman, Redding Saeco or Ohaus/RCBS and I expect them all to work with little or no more modification than I'm willing to make.

Next stop at the toaster oven counter to setup for plastic.

Boolit Master
    Had my guide machined out around 1/8". Works now.

Hi Folks, have been trying to buy a Mag25 from Lymans for several months,no response,except a email with a ticket number.IS it so hard to buy from the Lyman factory?

Vendor Sponsor

Problem with Lyman is customer service sucks big time.
    My main holdoff from buying a 25 is exactly that. Waiting to see the early buyers issues
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!