WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Loop Levers

Pepe Ray: PM Replied, sorry it's already long gone.

izzyjoe: Is it Mule Man's original Muleloop? I'd wouldn't call his large loops, they are more like "glove loops". Although he makes a Chuck Connors Rifleman loop too.

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm an odd duck. I replaced the OEM lever on my 1895 GG, the original lever used to pound my middle finger. I replaced it with the Wild West Guns large loop lever & had no more issues, I can also fit my gloved hand into the loop(mitten,with seperate trigger finger). I like mine, except only for the fact the fit into the original Boyt case for the gun, is damn close to not fitting.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaster View Post
    I'm thinking about looking for one for my Marin 30-30 because i have an injury to a tendon that prevents me from straightening out my finger. I can fit it into the standard loop but not without dificulty. I don't realy like the look of them but i'm thinking it might be more comfortable. Besides it might be cool to be able to twirl.
    I saw one for a Winchester on E-bay this morning. It sold for $37.00 in bid. There were also some for the 336 Marlin. I also saw some on an other site for the 336 Marlin, but they were quite expensive, like $149.00.
    Someone on here said to be carefull about twirling a 20" barreled 94 because it can cut your armpit, well he is right. When I was young I was 6' 3" tall and I have long arms and the 20" barrel will just barley go under my arm pit. By the way I have shrank quite a bit, I am 6' 1/2" now. Don't LOL we all shrink in heigth as we get old, some more than others.

Boolit Grand Master

For those of you that want to twirl, do not under any circumstance try it with a loaded gun! The reason is that to twirl and load you need a modified action. A standard action as you spin the bullet nose drops down and as you come around it catches and either the gun goes south or you end up with a loaded gun jammed in your arm pit. The guns that were made for this had a stud and spring installed in the top of the action to guide the bullet nose. This also IMHO weakened the chamber area and made the guns only fit for light loads. I have somewhere the aritcle in Gun's Magazine from way back when by Rod Redwing, "I taught the Rifleman to Shoot", and the plans for modifying the guns.

I can't say i either like or dislike the large loop. I have no use for one myself but I have one on my traapper 357 because iit came with one and i haven't found a plain lever for it yet.

Boolit Mold
    Hey i was just joking about "twirling", seems very dangerous to me. Are you guys realy doing that? I would like to have a little more room inside my lever though. I do like to shoot that rifle. maybe i'll start seriously looking. thanks for the input.

Boolit Master

And if you're going to do that, you NEED to have your thumb alongside the stock, NOT over the comb............

Man lots of mention of the Duke here, none of you guys old enough to have watched Chuck Conners as Lucas McCain, The Rifleman?

Art

Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    First off ,you don't throw down front of rifle. You drop your arm thats connected to the hand thats connected to the lever. Then you push your arm forward to get the rifle moving around in a circle. As the muzzle comes forward, the action will cycle. Although, if you are trying this with a 20" bbl, theres a good chance you will get cut by the front sight as it passes below your armpit.
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim357 View Post
    First off ,you don't throw down front of rifle. You drop your arm thats connected to the hand thats connected to the lever. Then you push your arm forward to get the rifle moving around in a circle. As the muzzle comes forward, the action will cycle. Although, if you are trying this with a 20" bbl, theres a good chance you will get cut by the front sight as it passes below your armpit.
    a BIG THANKS!

I tried it with a ( 16" ) Trapper, with the regular Barrel, a Chiappa .357 16", Large loop lever is on order ... hope it comes soon!

Your info was what I was looking for ... How to START that dam*** cycle????

Hermann

DPU = dumbest possible User ... :P

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    And if you're going to do that, you NEED to have your thumb alongside the stock, NOT over the comb............

Man lots of mention of the Duke here, none of you guys old enough to have watched Chuck Conners as Lucas McCain, The Rifleman?

Art
    IIRC his gun had a pin fitted, so the rifle would fire on closing the action?

Was quite spectacular to watch, but in "normal" cycling, not twirling ... that was just too slow.

Hermann

Retired to South Carolina for the grandkids!
    I've bought big loop Levers because they were used at a good price, or on the shelf at the store and I didn't want to wait for a special order.

Either way, I bought another Lever, and was happy. And yeah, those big loops don't always fit right inside the case...
    John
    Winchester ‘92s & 94s

“President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”

"Life brings us sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

DRC on ebay has them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251228687632...84.m1438.l2649
    They are big enough for gloves but not big loop levers
    Last edited by chuck4570; 02-20-2013 at 06:49 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    They used to sell two 16 1/2" barrelled 94 Winchesters her in Australia. The 'Trapper' had a normal loop and the 'Wrangler' had a large loop. Haven't seen any Wranglers for a long time.

here is a link to a guy who is a big Rifleman fan and makes a business out of doing shows and converting rifles, etc. Lots of good video clips on the site.

I noticed that he doesn't do a full twirl, but uses the big loop to 'drop cock' the rifle I suppose you would call it.

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-20-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: D'Oh! Forgot the link!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I am old enough to remember watching The Rifleman and the Duke, as I recall Wayne started spinning in the original Stagecoach movie that was made in1939. Chuck Connor as I remember did not spin like the Duke he rather cocked it by flipping foward and then firing rapidly closing the lever, the lever had a screw poking through which tripped the trigger as it was closing. Although that was only how the show opened, he might have spun it during the show itself. I have both a Henry large loop 22, and a older Rossi .45 1892 large loop carbine. It is much easier to spin the 22 than the 45. Like I said earlier I have never done either one loaded, and certainly have no plans to try it, but I have to admit I have thought many times about installing that little screw in the lever.

I don't like the looks either, but I don't live in Maine, Minnesota or any of the other cold-weather states. So I appreciate those who need the larger loops for weather and/or health reasons.

I just wish I could get some videos of the "Duke-Chuck Practice Sessions." You guys are missing out on producing some Youtube hits! I tried it once and my arms and legs are way too short!

Boolit Master

I have one because it came on my Rossi Ranch Hand Pistol. I have no issues with it. Some John Wayne trivia

http://www.ranch26bar.com/DUKERIFLE.html
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

I was 10 when the Rifleman series came out in 1958! Lucas McCaine did the drop cock but not a full twirl usually (at least that's what I remember) The Duke did the full twirl a couple of times. The scene in Rooster Cogburn is a memory I will take to the grave! He had the reins in his mouth and I could never figure out why Americans ever used split reins. Us Aussies use one long rein and if you drop it or let go of it, it is just there in front of the saddle, easy peasy. Split reins are seen now in Australia as American Saddles become popular. Aussie saddles never had saddle horns and were generally higher in the back.

I have often wondered if you couldn't just weld in a loop using steel strap with the TIG (which I now have, but don't know how to drive and the night school fees are incredible now, a lost resourse). Has anyone ever done this?

The latter series of the 'Rifleman' used a flat bottomed loop which is apparently superior.

I had a Rifleman cap rifle which had small flip up lever on the inside of the trigger guard. Pop it down, single shots, flip it up, good to go making lots of noise. Seemed a lot more sensible than the screw idea. I would have thought that it would have been better to have a screw that bottoms out in exactly the right sopt for rapid shots, that was it could be engaged quickly and easily.The screws I see on the Rifleman's rifles all seem to have a lot of thread either way.

I can't remember how the rifleman cycled the lever, but Mike DiMuzio ( http://www.riflemansrifle.com/ ) cycles it with the lever between the ring and middle finger (a Vulcan Salute?). He sure is good with it though!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I too had one of those Rifleman cap guns and remenber the lever, I have thought about putting a lever like I rember, the lever would have to be sort of a pivoting "U" channel wrapping around the bottom of the trigger guard so when its open, the edge of the lever would trip the trigger, the 2 problems I see are you would have to drill a hole for the lever to pivot and you would have to have some sort of indents on the sides of the "U" to tightly hold the lever closed and when the lever was open those same indents would stop the lever from closing, all this is well above me metal working skills. On the other hand it seems quite easy to figure out the angle through the trigger guard drill a hole, tap it and put in a Allen Head set screw squirt a dab of blue locktite and you could adjust the length of the set screw with a Allen key when you wanted to engage the lever fire function.

The flip up lever on my cap rifle was a small piece of angle.

I think the way to go would be to fit a screw and wind it in until it just tripped the trigger reliably without going too far and bottoming out, putting force on the trigger which would cause all sorts of problems down the track. Once this length is determined, a lock nut placed on the thread or even better, a screw the correct length be fitted, so that no set up was required and you could just screw it in until it bottomed out and you would be good to go. Don't want rapid fire? Back it off a few turns or completely unscrew it.

I get the impression that there is a bit more to it than just altering the lever.

The final shape of the John Wayne rifle would probably be the best set up. The picture is on the link above. Sort of big loop, but triangular almost.

The rifle I would like to convert is a 1908 built 19" Octangular barrel Winchester, but the barrel might be a tad heavy for optimum twirling, drop cocking.

My 44Mag SS Rossi which I hardly ever use would probably be a better bet, especially if I trimmed the barrel to 18" and re-chambered to 44Special or 44/40. There is another guy on another board who campaigns using Black Powder and he calls the 44Mag, the 44 Extra Long Russian.

I was also thinking (trouble is,I do a lot more thunking than doin' ) that one of the new rebounding hammers might be the go for a safer alternative to twirling. You have to have you finger actually on the trigger to set them off don't you? HaHa! We need a 92 Winchester with a Glock trigger for safe twirling! Twirling with a screw through the trigger guard that is designed to trip the trigger is a pretty scary thought. I noticed that Mike DiMuzio only twirls after blasting his targets, i.e, on an empty rifle.

Maybe some practice with a very heavy jacket and wax or glue bullets??? I have heard for many years about how unsafe it is, much the same as exploding mag tubes, but I never heard of anyone who actually shot himself or blew up a mag tube. Not saying that I want to be the first, just like to check it out a bit more.

I have a marlin 1895, and find its lever a bit small and uncomfortable to use, not too bad, only when I think about it, and I also like the look of the levers that are SLIGHTLY oversize, but some of those real big ones, I agree, just look dang unnatural
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

IMHO, these are a great help to those of us who wear gloves and have large hands.....Just my
    2( worth . I have them on all of my hunting guns-1894,1895, 94 Winnie . makes a big difference when I'm shooting 45/70 hunting loads. No more bruised fingers, I'm just an old guy, that doesn't like anymore pain than necessary
    I don't care how (it) looks to others, I'm not watching westerns, I hunt meat, and the big bears hunt me and my meat !!!! not aimed at anyone in particular......I'm just a hunter here in Alaska,
    had mine made before they became something for people to play with. Enjoy
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

I've bought several "big loop" leverguns - but soon switched out the levers for standard loop levers, swapping with other forum members that had what I wanted, and also wanted a big loop for their rifles. .

That way, TWO people were happy, me and the fella I swapped levers with. .

And, NO, I never even thought of getting beat out of a lever - IME, most forum/board members are honorable folks. .