Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a springfield 1911 in 9mm...and it jams on using a...

Boolit Master
    okay this is new to me...i does in fact lock the slide open with only one round.

but attached is a photo of the primer strikes i get.

bottom shell is a normal shell primer strike from a different gun for comparison.
    top 4 have one pierced primer....and 3 that are smeared!? ..yet they fired.

second photo is factory ammo fired.

the smeared ones look like there is no crater at all ...just a metal smear.
    yet the factory ammo craters normally.

3.1 grains of hogdons clays shouldn't be that hot...or is it?
    Last edited by mozeppa; 01-03-2016 at 06:26 PM.

Check firing pin for sticking due to dirt being bent, or a weak return spring. If the pin is slow to retract the case will drag as it slides uo the breachface. This will also cause the smears on the primers Limp wristing with light loads can cause this problem also. If all else fails try a new mag. I'd try a Wilson Combat.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

I have had the same issue with my springfield 9mm. Had to up the charge to get it running better. Also had some machine gun brass that had a thick rim. Works much better now.

Boolit Master
    its brand new and been cleaned... less than 400 rounds thru it.

primer dents look normal with factory loads...only my loads smear.

i have 16 mecgar new mags ...a wilson won't change anything.

Boolit Master
    Mozeppa how does the velocity of your loads compare to the factory loads? Light loads can cause this problem because the slide is slowed down. Might need a slightly softer recoil spring for those loads? Also in post 22...I'm puddy sure the "return spring" Boogieman is referencing is the firing pin return spring and yes a weak one will cause exactly the issue you have. The firing pin is still engaged with the primer as the pistol is trying to eject it. Good catch Boogieman. A too stiff (for your loads) mainspring/hammer spring can also cause problems. It overpowers the firing pin spring. Audie...the Oldfart.

Boolit Master
    the factory loads seem a bit more robust than mine....but not much

as i don't have a chrony, that's my best guess.

are firing pins usually subject to being weak from brand new?

Boolit Buddy

In the photo, the case rim is not sliding up behind the extractor. I had the same problem. There are two things to look at. One is the extractor tension. Too much tension will cause this. Second is the magazine. As the nose of the round starts up the ramp the case rim should pop out of the ears of the magazine so that the round will pop up behind the extractor. If the case rim doesn't release at the proper time the round will jam just like your pic shows. My factory mag ran fine but my new Wilson ETM's jammed like this. The difference in the two mags was that the Wilson held the rim of the case longer than the factory mag. I ended up filing back the ears to match my factory mag and it runs like a top now. Just saying that if the slide will lock back on empty then increasing load charge is not your answer. The slide is cycling full length. One way to check if it's a mag problem is to load a dummy round (no powder or primer). Seat the bullet about 1/16" deeper than normal and see if it will pop up behind the extractor. When a 1911 feeds that case should snap up behind the extractor hook just as the nose of the bullet reaches the top of the feed ramp. Looks like yours is hitting the top of the chamber before it releases.

Boolit Grand Master
    The photo is of someone else's jam, not his.

Even the photo given cannot be an extractor issue as the jammed case's rim is nowhere near the extractor nor has it been launched toward it yet. The extractor cannot influence what has not reached it.

Yes springs can go soft rather quickly I've had new replacement springs that were weak & took a set in less than 100 rounds. A full set of new springs are cheap to try & if you shoot much .you will need them later. JMB designed the 1911 around the 45acp which is longer than the 9mm, this makes the 9mm a little more touchy as to springs & OAL for 100% feeding. An earlier post suggested extractor tension problems That would my first thought also. There are instructions on the web on how to adjust an extractor. Wilson Combat is a good one. Many u-tube experts have one problem they know so much that just isn't true
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by flyingrhino View Post
    When a 1911 feeds that case should snap up behind the extractor hook just as the nose of the bullet reaches the top of the feed ramp.
    The round being fed does not magically "snap" up behind the extractor hook. The stack in the magazine being pushed up with the magazine spring is what pushes the case head upward and into place behind the extractor hook. As soon as the rim clears the lips, the round BELOW the round being fed pushes it up.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

A couple of quick questions:

When the jam happens does it leave a smiley face by the mouth of the rim of the case?
    After the jam happens can you push the slide forward/closed?
    After the jam happens does it take allot of force to push the slide forward/closed?