MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Had to Try

Boolit Man

Had to Try

I have been reading all of the powder coating threads for a while and one of the things that I noticed, was that it seems that the process is becoming fairly well refined as to what works and what does not work. This of course starts generating the "I am the expert, and you have to do it my way" responses.

Just to make sure that I don't dig too deep of a hole, let me say that I think that the "experts" have probably earned the right to be called experts by putting in a lot of time experimenting to determine what does work. I just sometimes get a little frustrated with the way some of the "expert" answers are phrased.

Well, last Sunday I decided that I needed to try this powder coating out. I ordered three pounds of powder from Prismatic, I had a toaster oven That I could use (I remembered not to use the house oven, because if you do the world spins backwards and we all fall off), I went out to get some airsoft BB's (they have to be black ones....just because), some number five bowls, a hemostat (sorry I have sinned here, I am using a 8 inch long medical tweezers with a bent end), and some non stick foil (shinny side down). Today I had all of the required supplies and was able to powder coat my first Boolits.......... I just wanted to say thanks to all of you that have pioneered this process, and to tell you that even if I think the answers could have been worded a little better, they are absolutely correct.

Oh ya.....here is my first attempt, I am very happy with how they turned out, and how easy the process is if you follow the experts advice!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Green 45.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	156947

Thank you
    Life is tough......Even tougher when you're stupid

Boolit Master
    I like the grey ones kind of gives them a more natural look

Boolit Master

We're all learning here. One of the nice things about this forum
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    There is adequate info here to learn the process and gather the ''necessary'' items to get a person started. There is even info here that will take a person farther in the process. A person really wanting to learn will wade through the distractions we have here from time to time. I believe it is worth the effort. Sometimes egos drive the process. Sometimes people who don't know their idea can't work prove their ideas are valid, despite what group think dictates won't work. We are people. There are biases and emotional conflicts. Yet through all of this the process has advanced to a point where an average Joe or Joanna can jump in and begin to enjoy the benefits of these alternative boolit coatings that are trying to become mainstream.

My good friend is not interested in the developing process. He only wants to know what is easiest best way to do it. This place would drive him nuts if he read here very often. I thought I could figure it out by reading here and give him what he wanted. Well, so far I haven't been able to give him the definitive report he would like. I give him a batch of boolits to try occasionally. He liked the last batch he shot and he now has loaded a new batch I gave him.

We don't all have to do it the same way. Do it the way that suits each of us best whether it is waxy lubes, plating, powder coatings, etc. There is no need to ''prove'' to someone else that MY method is the absolute best. It simply suits me.

Biases and egos. They wont go away. Ever. Learn to look thru them or around them. The information for success is here if you are willing. And some of those biases and egos have contributed very much to what has evolved as a process that most of us can easily use to make our shooting more enjoyable and I suspect more economical.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Very well stated Mike.

One thing that ageing has taught me is when listening to advice (or reading it) is to take it all in process it and weed out the BS but also to keep an open mind. If you approach information in this way you have the greatest opportunity to come away with something useful.

One of my personal pet peeves are blanket statements. While there are some set in stone rules on things most of the time there are many ways to accomplish positive results.

Motor

I don't care who came up with an idea.Don't care which method is best.The "experts"have done enough to KNOW what DOES work and what DOES NOT work.I for one BELIEVE that all the time spent READING what works and what doesn't was time well spent.That goes not only for PC but all the cast boolit projects and general reloading.Mind I've done less than a dozen powder coating sessions all the dry tumble type...all one coat....and oh my.....ALL worked except the one with a powder NOT on the "these work"list and I knew that one was going to be iffy from the start.
    I'm NOT an expert.Just one who reads the instructions.Someday I may have a fail but think I'm off to a good start and its thanks to the "experts".Especially the ones who took their time to write down what works or not so us johnny come latelies can do it without all the trial and error headaches.

Banned

I like the fact this place is here and even the grumpy sarcastic ones amongst us [me included] will actually share their findings.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I like the fact this place is here and even the grumpy sarcastic ones amongst us [me included] will actually share their findings.
    And this is exactly the point I was trying to make. This is a great place to learn, and sometimes we have to leave our egos at the door.
    Life is tough......Even tougher when you're stupid

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately, we do ''not'' have to leave our egos or biases at the door, but if we want to help this information go mainstream and make it as easy as possible for new people checking in to see what all the hubbub is about then we will do exactly what you said. I've been told in my younger days that I could be a real ***. Certainly nothing I would want to put on display here. I think I am getting better as I get older.

I've learned I wasn't nearly as smart as I once thought I was. I've learned to forgive myself and others. Being wrong sometimes is the price of living. Being arrogantly wrong is what I still feel guilty about. No one benefits from their arrogance in the end.

Discussions are a search for truth; even multiple truths. Arguments benefit no one. Ideas will either be proven out, or not. And yes one person may prove an idea out for themselves while another considers the same idea a failure for themselves. There may be some small nuanced difference neither of them is aware of. These will be discovered and worked out over time.

Big egos and biases only slow the process..........Mike

Love Life
    Great job!! The process is nowhere near as complicated as some make it out to be. I mean, all one does is toss powder in a dish with bb's and bullets and shake it up. Oh, and bake it too.

Boolit Master

I'm one of those guys who says "just give me the basics and I'll tweak it myself!"

Those look great. I bet they will shoot great also.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.