MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Plain base velocity?

Boolit Master

Plain base velocity?

I am wanting to come close to a factory load for my Ruger NO.1 in 450-400 Nitro Express. Accurate has a plain base design that looks close to the factory loads bullet shape. It would be great to not have to work with two designs one for low velocity fun to shoot loads and another for factory velocity. Factory load velocity is about 2150 to 2200 fps. Will I be able to reach this velocity with Pat's Plain Base Check Maker and Accurate's plain base mold? Anyone gone to this velocity with plain base checks?

Boolit Master

I would research paper patch bullets.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Bub
    I've never shot a .450-400 Nitro Express, let along loaded for one. However I am currently experimenting with Pat Marlin's Checkmaker in .22 Hornet and getting excellent accuracy at around 2200 fps. Some points I might pass along:

1. Be patient and LEARN -- there is a lot of skill to using the Checkmaker. For example, feed the strips silver side up -- the natural curvature of the can makes the strips feed much easier. Pat's directions tell you if the strip hangs up, KISS it with the cutter. If you lift the cutter just enough for the strip to react, that will usually free up a hung strip.

2. If disks are not perfectly seated in the base unit, they'll be spoiled -- pull the base unit out of the ram when loading disks at first. With time you'll be able to seat them quickly, but at first it will be slow going.

3. Use a Lee Sizer, and feed the gas-checked bullets in BASE FIRST.

Boolit Master
    Vern that was just what I wanted to know. I did not care what cartridge someone was shooting just if they were able to get to 2200 fps with the plain base checks. Thanks for the tips on working with Pat's Plain Base Check Maker.

Banned

I have never made any, but have used those plain based gas checks in a .351 WSL, they aork pretty well to 1800 FPS or so, as fast as I've pushed them. Good advice on pushing the bullets through base first, that is what I ended up doing.

It is probably because it uses an undersized bullet, but mine fit a bit lose. I stuck them on with a dab of bullet lube so they'd get through the sizing process and that seems to work, but I would get occasional weird, bad flyers and I suspected it was the check coming off in flight. You may not have that problem if you're not using a seriously undersized bullet like I was.

Wow, a .45 caliber rifle at 2200 FPS, I don't wanna think about it. Been shooting plain based just fine in a .45-70, but have stuck with Trapdoor level loads and that's enough for me.

Banned
    I've run short 30 cal bullets in lino to 1700 a few times and accuracy stayed good over quite a few shots.but I'd eventually get a few wild ones down the road.

I have started to go away from copper gas checks and gas check shanked boolits. I have 1 left and it is a 6mm, which may be getting changed over to PB in the future. I have also gotten into PB gas checks using Pat Marlin's gas check makers as well. I basically drive down the road and find lonely cans, wash them, cut them into strips, punch out disks, then make cups out of them for the boolits. Hasn't let me down yet and it is a wonderful relaxing stress reliever on a crappy weather day. Anyway, I have pushed my 32 Win SPL to 2149 fps on average and my .405 Win to 1960 fps on average with the checked PB boolits. So, yes, it is possible to go 2200 fps and above, it'll just depend on what type of accuracy you want. Good luck and stay safe.

Accurate mold re-designed by me for a PB (original started as a GC mold):

Cast, checked and lubed, and heat treated for load testing:

32 Win SPL boolits ready to check, disks in flipper top:

Checked boolits waiting heat treating and lubing: