WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measures

Powder Measures

As I get back into loading metallics, I have tried Lee dippers and more recently a
    Lyman 55. Thinking of adding another measure for another powder. Anything better than the L55 for "fluffy powders" like Unique or is the L55 as good as it gets? The dippers are not very consistent either. Thanks

Sam, You'll generally find most powder measures will throw consistent charges of ball powders, but have varying degrees of success with extruded/stick powders, e.g. IMR 4064 and IMR 4350 and flake powders, e.g., Unique, Red Dot, Green Dot. For loading one of those, in this instance, Unique, I use a Lyman pistol powder measure with a full set of "rotors." Once you establish how much of a given powder [each cavity of a] rotor throws*, you can easily and accurately charge your pistol and/or rifle cases. I.e., you can do so if the bullet weight and suggested charge(s) in a good reloading manual are very close to what your rotors throw. Thus, I use one rotor to throw 4.4 gr. charges of Unique with a Lee tumble lube SWC CB for my .38 Spl. and a different one to throw 12.0 gr. charges of Unique for 175 - 195 gr. gas checked CB's in my .30-06.

Even though the Lyman pistol powder measure comes with a data sheet for many powder - rotor combinations, I've never found that data to be accurate. In other words, you still need to weigh, average, and record! at least 30 charges per rotor for a given powder.

*The larger rotors (deeper cavities) have a single cavity

Boolit Master
    For pistol amounts of flake powders, such as Red Dot, I've had good consistency with an older Redding measure that has the micrometer cavity. Another one I fortunately did not sell because I just resurrected it, is an old Ohaus Du-O-Measure. The Ohaus also has a rifle cavity that works well.

For stick powders, the key is consistency. And even with perfect consistency, you should expect plus/minus .1-.2 grains.

Richard

I use an old Lyman measure and a Lee Perfect Powder Measure to meter powders like Accurate No. 5, Bullseye, and Unique, and once set up and test/verified by throwing and weighing multiple charges they are very accurate. I re-test them every couple of hundred rounds. I use them for most of my handgun calibers, but for rifle cartridges I weigh each and every one on a Lyman balance beam scale. Just old fashioned I guess, but still have all my fingers and eyes.

Banned

The Belding & Mull will, with proper use, throw zero charges of stick powder too.

Yes, the L55 is great for W231, WSF, etc. and since I am only loading light target loads for pistol, the L55 is probably good enough for Unique. I will probably buy a second one since I am now familiar with it. I do double check all charges by eye and weigh a couple from every batch of 50. Am primarily a shot gunner and thus have significant quantities of Unique, Clays, Green Dot, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Powder measures need to be operated consistantly every time to get consistant results. I have and use these for diffrent applications or needs. Redding br-30 does good with most ball and flake powders along with smaller stick powders, RCBS uniflow depending on drum flake powders are okay balls good and stick powders may need to be trickled. Belding And Mull good with almost all powders ( mine are used with black powder) but is also require 2 hand operation. I have a couple harrels that are great measures with all powders but pricy also. I havent used one in awhile but for strickly pistol loads the rcbs little Dandy is good. One thing is measures seem to work better mid point of there range. A measure to throw 0-30 grns will normally work great around 15grn charges. Using a big drum cavity for 5-6 grn charges of pistol powder dont always fill consistantly. same as a small cavity drum for 40-50 grn charges. If possible find a measurethat your charges are about mid point or use set bushings. Sometimes a cupped face on the rod helps but limits lower end charges also. The biggest thing is the consistancy of operation, throw charges wieghing each one thru several hoppers of powders to learn this consistancy and how measure likes to be operated.

Boolit Grand Master

You have to work on a consistent, repeatable , unvarying technique with either dippers or the 55 measure . The technique is the secrete....nothing else will achieve consistent charges.
    Takes practice to nail it down, but once you do you will be surprised how your charges will improve.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master

Since you asked about Unique, I have a 55, an RCBS uniflo, a Pacific Pistol Powder Measure (slide style) and a Bair Pistol Powder measure. Unique has bridged in all of them, providing inconsistent loading. I only use my B&M (Belding and Mull) when loading Unique simply because I can see a full measure that I dump into the case. No chance of bridging.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

You might give the Lee Auto Drum a serious look. This guy did quite a few YouTube videos on the Auto Drum, including performance/accuracy using flake powders at 7:43 into this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th6kgFgQ47U

I just picked up my second Auto Drum so now I have one dedicated to both small and large drums. I think Lee did a really good job with this product.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    You might give the Lee Auto Drum a serious look. This guy did quite a few YouTube videos on the Auto Drum, including performance/accuracy using flake powders at 7:43 into this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th6kgFgQ47U

I just picked up my second Auto Drum so now I have one dedicated to both small and large drums. I think Lee did a really good job with this product.
    I’ve seen all of his videos on the Lee Auto Drum and it still seems to have trouble with Unique, but not nearly the trouble I have with my RCBS Uniflow. Using a single stage press now, but am considering a Lee Turret press and if I do, I will be getting the Lee Auto Drum.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and More Ammo

Boolit Grand Master

I have a review of the Lee Auto Drum here. Mine is not a good one. I seem to be the exception when it comes to performance. I bought a second one but haven't had time to test it.

Most of the reviews have it as +-.1 w/ some larger swings from time to time. I have a PAD and it throws the same exact charge every single time. I guess people don't mind it not throwing the same charge every time.

I'm not familiar with the PAD. Can you provide more detail?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Pro Auto Disk. You are limited w/ charge weights because of the holes. But they have always worked well for me. It does leak w/ fine ball powders which is it's one fault.

Boolit Buddy
    My go to for flake powder is a lee dipper and rcbs trickler. Might be a little time consuming, but inconsistency bugs me.

Boolit Grand Master

You can fine tune fixed rotors with a little masking tape. Put a small piece in and trim eges even on a slightly heavy on until you have just what you want. Once done leave it for next time. Or you can start with next size smaller and polish out to exactly what you want also. If you go this route be sure to label Id the modified rotor or disc hole so its known at a glance

Boolit Master
    I agree with country gent about the RCBS Little Dandy measure when loading for pistols. It is the only powder measure that I trust and don't check every time with a scale. It throws very accurate loads of Unique and Bullseye that are exact each time.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

B&M works well. Quick-Measure also works for weights greater than around 6gr.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Bub
    Second on the B&M powder measure.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Lee Auto Pro measure and find it works very well. To prevent leaking with very fine powders like WC820 I change out the elastormer seal in it. If you have the double disk set it provides many different charge weights. If still not enough melt a little candle wax on the side of one of the holes. Then if you need to just cut as much out as you need with a pocket knife. I mark the hole with a white correction fluid 'cuz once you use it and it gets graphite on it you will not know which hole you modified.
    I am thinking about buying the new Lee drum Measure to add to my measures.