MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Pork and Squash

Boolit Master

Pork and Squash

As there is no shortage of good pork priced right these days and I have a goodly pile of squash on hand..... Does anyone have a good recipe to put the two together in a dish?? You know, kinda like a stew or something?
    Thanks
    ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Moderator Emeritus

Pork sausage stuffed baked squash...

Boolit Bub
    Puerco con Calabasa
    3-4lbs Boneless pork in 1" cubes 1 Bay leaf
    Salt ½C Catsup
    Flour ½tsp Black pepper
    ½C Shortening 1T Chili powder
    5C Yellow squash C Picante sauce
    1 Large onion, halved & sliced 6-8C Water
    ½tsp Whole comino (cumin seed) 1tsp Salt
    1tsp Garlic, minced 2C Chicken broth

Wash squash, remove ends and slice in half lengthwise. Slice halves crosswise into ¼” thick slices, reserve.

Lightly salt the pork chunks and dredge in flour. Melt shortening in heavy Dutch oven, add meat and onion. When meat is grey to light brown, pull to sides and stir about ¼C flour into pan drippings to make roux. Stir constantly until light brown, then pull meat back into roux and stir together. Add broth, catsup, picante sauce, and enough water to maintain a rich gravy. Add spices, squash, and the teaspoon of salt. Cover and simmer slowly about 1½ hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the advice,
    I tried something and it wasn't too bad. Will have to work on the seasonings.

Cubed up 1.5 pounds of pork loin about 3/4" size. Cut peel off a good hard squash (I used Australian Butter squash) and cut into 1" squares about 3/8" thick to kinda resemble dumplings to make equal volumn to pork. Browned the pork and added some onion and sauteed til soft. Added the squash along with 3/4 cup orange juice, 3/4 cup dry white wine and 1/4 cup honey. Pick your own seasoning. Set covered on low heat to simmer and checked back every 20 minutes until squash was tender and liquid mostly gone. Serve as is or with some white rice.

Seasoning I used was a mix of things including salt, pepper, chipotle pepper, & cumin.

ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Moderator Emeritus

A little Mexican oregano...

Vendor Sponsor

My gf used to stuff acorn squash with a sausage and stuffing mixture that is to DIE for! OMG it is delicious. She made it into a casserole and baked it in a 9x13 baking dish once using different kind of squash cut into cubes and the same sausage stuffing mixture and it was just as good. I will ask her for the recipe.

Edit: Here is the recipe she used for the acorn squash, and to make it into a casserole with other squash like butternut, she simply cubed the butternut squash and pre baked it 20-30mins, then combined the ingredients and cooked squash in a baking dish and follow directions for baking.

STUFFED AUTUMN ACORN SQUASH
    2 acorn squash
    8 oz. butter, melted (1 stick)
    1 lb. mild Italian sausage
    1 box stuffing mix
    1 1/2 c. chicken broth
    8 ea. mushrooms
    1/2 c. yellow onion
    1/2 c. corn
    1/4 c. red bell pepper
    1/4 c. toasted pine nuts
    3 ea. cloves garlic, minced
    2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

Cut squash in half and hollow out inside stings and seeds. (save seeds for roasting)

Par-cook in a pan with 1" of water, cut sides down for 20 minutes at 350°F.

Meanwhile, sauté onions, corn and bell pepper until softened, add mushrooms and garlic half-way through.

In a bowl, mix together raw sausage, uncooked stuffing mix, broth, 1/2 stick of melted butter, sautéed vegetables, pine nuts and parsley. Season with pepper (use caution when seasoning, stuffing mix may be overly salty).

Remove squash from oven, drain pan, flip squash and brush with melted butter. Fill cavities with stuffing mix.

Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour or until squash is tender.

Remove foil after 1 hour and continue to bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-25-2015 at 09:26 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.