Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noe 360-310-fn

Noe 360-310-fn

Would love to try this bullet in my ruger 77/357 for subsonic shooting. Any one has few bullets sitting around that they can sell me a sample lot to try before I buy a mold and find out my rifle doesn't like those?

Update:

Recieved bullets from a kind member on here, thank you sir.
    Loaded 20 of them or so to try out tomorrow.

Figured out quick that if I use a gascheck, it would bulge the cases to where brass won't go in the chamber. So that soaked up five rounds.

Loaded the rest with out checks but still sized and lubed.
    All same except for powder charge. 3.2 3.5 and 3.7 gr of titegroup. Want to start out light, this is kind of an uncharted territory for me here.

My nose punch is obviously wrong, but If all goes well I'll be ordering NOE mold and a punch to go with it.

Update:

Well the range trip was a success. Bullet is stable out of my set up, but it has to be driven 850fps or so.
    This is at 25 yards, looks like the middle hole is oblong, bullet might have been yawing. This was 3.2 gr of titegroup, right at 745fps.

Now for 50 yard targets
    Picture for 3.2 gr charge was corrupted. Muzzle velocity was 745fps, the most accurate load, all 5 were touching, but few holes where oblong.

This is 3.5 gr, MV of 765fps. Too hot of a load, sticky extraction.

And 3.7gr, MV 812 fps. Too hot of a load, sticky extraction and some primers where flattened.

Last edited by ButterNutZ; 12-20-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I don't think you'll be able to push those boolits fast enough to stabilize from a .357. They are meant for .358 Win and .35 Whelen size cartridges.

You'd have to get 1500-1600 fps out of them and I don't think a .357 case has enough capacity to push a 310 gr boolit that fast.

Even a 300gr boolit in a .44 mag case is hard to get going that fast.

I think your practical max for the .357 is about a 200 gr boolit.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Yeah I dont think thats right. Using multiple calculators that bullet is more then stable out of 1 and 16 twist barrel. Velocity between 800 and 1050 fps stability is between 1.56 and 1.7. So I'm not sure where you getting your data from, but it is wrong. Thanks for the input.

Will only stabilize at 1800 FPS in a 1 in 16 twist using the linked calculator. Bullet length is 1.219" and diameter is .360". You would need an 11.8 twist for 1000 FPS.

http://kwk.us/twist.html
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 12-10-2015 at 11:06 PM. Reason: clarity

Here is a calculator I used: http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Any who member here is sending me some to try, will find out shortly.

Please report back interested to hear how they shoot.

All twist calculations secondary to the bullet even chambering. Doubt the 77/357 is throated enough to take this without judicious nose sizing. About 1/10 is ideal for 200-250grs with 357 at subsonic velocity.

The 310 is a bore ride design, so I would think it will chamber.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Here is a link to a guy that tried 300 gr pills. He ended up not using them because of low velocity. But that wont bother me, anywhere from 850 and up will work.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...7685&start=100

Edit: 300 gr bullet in the link above looks just like the noe thumper.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterNutZ View Post
    Here is a link to a guy that tried 300 gr pills. He ended up not using them because of low velocity. But that wont bother me, anywhere from 850 and up will work.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...7685&start=100

Edit: 300 gr bullet in the link above looks just like the noe thumper.
    And if you read it closely, the one success story was with a custom throated 1/12 twist barrel.

I consider it a success story, OP mentions no tumbling or chambering problems using 300gr pill.

Vendor Sponsor

Do report back as I am anxious to hear your results, and may be interested if you want to sell the mould if it doesn't work.

I have a .35-303 that I want 300 gr Bore Rider Boolits for and was looking at that same mould. All the 35 cal rifle barrels IE .358Win, 35 Whelen and even my .35-303 are 1:13-1:15 twist rate. My barrel is 1:14 and I can run those same boolits up to 1600 fps easily.

Good Luck.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Weworked with 207 grn cast round nose bullets in a ruger security six with 4" barrel for my wifes bowling pin load. Whikle it was stable it was just barely. In testing a 2 sheets of couragated card board 11/2 fett apart told the story. Front cardboard sheet and target tight to it had round holes and good accuracy, the seconds sheets holes were oval or sideways hits where bullet started tunbling from first impact. These loads were in the 850-900 fps range. Worked great for throwing pins around but the added length of the 310 may be to much for standard rifling twist rates. Be carefull and work up slowly with those 310 grn bullets as the small capacity hevy for caliber bullet will peak quickly. Also watch for bulges in the cases as this bullet may seat deeper into case where walls are thicker.

Ill let you guys know how it goes.

updated first post.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Weworked with 207 grn cast round nose bullets in a ruger security six with 4" barrel for my wifes bowling pin load. Whikle it was stable it was just barely. In testing a 2 sheets of couragated card board 11/2 fett apart told the story. Front cardboard sheet and target tight to it had round holes and good accuracy, the seconds sheets holes were oval or sideways hits where bullet started tunbling from first impact. These loads were in the 850-900 fps range. Worked great for throwing pins around but the added length of the 310 may be to much for standard rifling twist rates. Be carefull and work up slowly with those 310 grn bullets as the small capacity hevy for caliber bullet will peak quickly. Also watch for bulges in the cases as this bullet may seat deeper into case where walls are thicker.

Your test method was flawed. Bullets,very unstable by nature, will tumble immediately up on contact with anything. I dont care if its flying straight when it leaves gun barrel, as soon as one nicks anything, it will tumble. So going by your statement, you had a very fine, stable shooting load! The second paper lies!

Never mind.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

There is an interesting thread here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...R-Whisper-250g

using up to 250grains
    ars longa, vita brevis

Post some targets
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Didn't have a chance till just now. I need someone to recommend a powder to try. I have titegroup, h110, 800-x and unique. What ya'll think would be a good load?