Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: My Traditions Hawken Needs a Trigger

My Traditions Hawken Needs a Trigger

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	155207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	114.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	155208

A few months back I made a trade that had a Traditions .50 caliber St. Louis Hawken kit as part of the deal. The project went fairly smoothly and turned out pretty well. However, the trigger group (assembly) was missing a spring and I have not been able to locate a replacement. Also I am not all that impressed with the design/quality of this component.

Does anyone know where I might find a replacement or aftermarket trigger assembly for my project? This is my first muzzle loading rifle and I would really like to get it shooting.

Perma-Banned
    CVA triggers would be the same. T/C or Davis Deerslayer triggers could likely be made to work.

Thanks _ I'll check them out.

Perma-Banned
    Deer Creek Products sells CVA parts & shows the Hawken triggers as available for 32 bucks.

www.deercreekproducts.net/store

As you bought a Kit as the manufacturer of said kit for the missing part.

BTW great work

Boolit Buddy

Traditions is still in business, right? I bet if you contacted them you could get one, maybe for free. Doesn't hurt to ask. EDIT- I misread your original post. You're wanting an improved design trigger it seems. I have a Traditions Hawken, it has double set triggers. They work great.
    Last edited by N4AUD; 12-08-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: I misread the OP
    INFIDEL

Boolit Master
    If they are the same as CVA, IIRC the bridle set up lock plate is for double set and the non-bridal type for single trigger. Did you propane that wood or stain application?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    If they are the same as CVA, IIRC the bridle set up lock plate is for double set and the non-bridal type for single trigger. Did you propane that wood or stain application?
    Don't know about the bridle thing. But usually a tumbler with a fly is designed for either a set type trigger or simple type trigger. Whereas a tumbler without a fly is usually for simple type trigger.

Boolit Master
    As far as where to buy a double-set replacement trigger. That would require some computer time surfing the net for a parts site. Your probably better off in your trying to replace the lost spring than retrofitting a whole different brand of trigger assembly. L&R makes replacement triggers. See what they think/offer. Or perhaps give some thought to the suggestions N4AUD or Bubba 50 stated earlier.

Boolit Master
    With some inletting, relieving, grinding and bedding compound most any ML trigger (set type or simple) can be made to work in that gun. Looking at the photo, it appears to have a double (set) trigger. That means the lock's tumbler will likely have a fly.

For fixing the trigger you have… if you can't find a direct factory replacement spring, I'd try calling some of the ML and ML parts suppliers to see what kind of small springs they have. I'd bet small springs are out there that could be modified a little to work. Also, simply replacing the trigger won't change what the lock is (good, bad or ugly)… they both work in concert to make the gun fire. I think I'd try to get the existing trigger operational and working correctly first. Then, if not satisfied, see about a complete replacement.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 12-09-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Banned

i built a traditions sorta-hawken .50 flinter kit a month or so ago and had issues with both the ds trigger and lock sear. i called traditions (they're in ct) and they replaced the defective sear and boogered ds trigger spring. call 'em up!

Boolit Bub
    Call either Traditions or The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio.