Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screws for gas checks?

in Remebrance
    You have to use a barrel with a left hand twist to keep the screw tight. Accelerating down a right hand twist would cause the screw to loosen and fall out in flight. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master
    Imagine if this had become the norm? We'd all be talking about taking our favorite 'screwdrivers' to the range.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    That is a new one on me! Why bother with the added expense, time, weight, and general "what the he##"? That screw would sure mess up the dynamic balance of a boolit!!!

I cannot imagine anyone wasting time doing that when GC's are so simple to put on!

Pictures and data are definitely required on this "screwed-up" boolit!!!!!!!

banger
    I think the question could just as easily be why Lyman so soon gave up n them. I think it might sometimes be made to work, but then gas-checks can usually and more easily be made to work. Items on sale have to be suitable for the purpose a purchaser can reasonably be expected to put to them, which if all the good jokes haven't been used up by the time I post this, is screwing. What does it matter for that if a manufacturer makes a change of a couple of hundredths in the screws you depend on, or if the mass removed by the Philips screwdriver slot is a couple of hundredths off-center? But it matters in a bullet.

Nobody with a hobby is likely to have a cast-iron defense against accusations of wasting time. If you feel driven to try this, though, try a search on eBay for Chicago screws, used for document binding.. They usually have a 9mm head, and if that is exact (see above), it is .354in. You would only have to drill any mould (preferably nose-pour) and insert a piece of stainless or oxidized machine screw to hold a nut which will be left in the bullet when the screw is removed. I believe the Chicago screw thread is usually 3mm. coarse. They are sometimes known as sex bolts or barrel nuts, perhaps because the term "sex nut" was already taken.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Chro..._BmLs6TPNbvaDA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_bolt

Boolit Master
    Speakin' of "screw threads" I think this one is ready for a thread chaser...

This thread is twisted

Boolit Master

Do you suppose that this is where the idiom "a loose screw" came from?

Discussion between two shooters: "yeah, Barney over there had a good group going until he got a loose screw"

Or "I was screwing around with a new load the other day"…

… I know my reloading time would go so much faster if I had one of those automatic screwing machines…

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    Probably its a Obama design. Screwed up the bottom.

Boolit Master

I could use a chaser!

Banned

I've heard of putting a sheet metal screw in the HP end. Suppose to make for faster expansion, I.E. Split the bullet up for fragmentation. Even heard it makes a lead round able to penetrate light armor.

Never heard of using a (any) screw as a base & I've done a lot of weird things with boolits.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I was going to buy one of these molds when they came out but I didn't want to get screwed.

Never heard of such a thing? With all the folks on here who have a mold "fetish" and collect them . . . seems like someone should have one of these. Or maybe they never got off the gourd and to the general buying public? No pictures of this type of mold / boolit floating around? Not debating their existence . . . there have been a lot of things tried over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I was going to buy one of these molds when they came out but I didn't want to get screwed.

Never heard of such a thing? With all the folks on here who have a mold "fetish" and collect them . . . seems like someone should have one of these. Or maybe they never got off the gourd and to the general buying public? No pictures of this type of mold / boolit floating around? Not debating their existence . . . there have been a lot of things tried over the years.
    Pictures of a bullet being screwed? Hmmm, somehow I think that would be something for the shrink to hear.

Boolit Grand Master

NO, Thank You!!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Handloader's amaze me! There is no end to what they are willing to try I guess to save a couple penny's. How many different home brew bullet lube do we have here? How about those powder coating's? We have the materials to cast and shoot good bullet's for the rest of our life but we are looking for something to replace the thing that never failed us! Jacketed handloader's, mostly hunter's, find ton's of ways to squeak another .065" improvement in their load that is already shooting 3/4"!

This screw idea really floor's me. Where would you get a brass wood screw the right size to go down the barrel and not dig on the barrel? I got two box's of gas check's when I started fooling with cast bullet's in a rifle, 1000 to a box, they just aren't that expensive! yet I read on here several time's about people that make then out of aluminum pop can's! probably the same guy that buy's the $75+ mold instead of the $20 Lee mold! Correct me if I'm wrong but a Lee mold and a $100 mold throwing the same style bullet do the same job in very usable fashion!

The jacketed guy's proclaim that you need to adjust the bullet seating depth in and out to find the sweet spot and improve accuracy. Actually my though is if your rifle is shooting into an inch and a half, your time is better spent earning to shoot what you have! All this kind of stuff amaze's me!