Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Garage contruction has started

Moderator Emeritus

No longer allowed in MN, idiots were pouring oil into them...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Anchors came with a large hex shape welded on the bottoms. 2 inches in diameter, pull that out and the house is going to be gone too! Those bolts are 1" diameter!
    Caught it !!

I couldn't see the bottom of those anchors in the grass. You're right, if that gets pulled up you have bigger problems.

Moderator Emeritus

Yeah I should have mowed once more but longer the grass is going into deep freeze the better it winters over. My lawn is always one of the first to green up. Just hope the manufacturer gets that tower here before snow!

Moderator Emeritus

I got the garage door programmed for the stops on Tuesday. Started on the ceiling conduit after the garage door and ran out of light on Tuesday too! Was to cold and wet yesterday and with 2 windows still missing I couldn't put any heat in there that helped with a 40mph wind.

They came today and put in the last 2 windows(had to work around stuff I had to start moving in) and got the wall insulation in along with the inside purlins for the liner steel. Next time they come back they put on the liner steel and blow insulation in the ceiling then things are done for this year.

The long aluminum things are four antennas for 144mhz and 1 for 432mhz(ham radio!) and the aluminum tubes are for the H frame to hold the four 144mhz antennas. Also can see my corn auger on the floor(I took it off its rolling frame for storage, it will get a heavy duty set of wall hangers to go on) and my new cherry picker that I use for heavy lifting like the above auger. I held off moving stuff in but they were forecasting ice/rain and I did not need the antennas sitting in slush. Can see the start of the wiring conduit on the ceiling, will pick away at that more this weekend. I need to get a new fish tape for pulling wire too. Friend borrowed my old one and he brought it back all snarled and bent up...

Boolit Grand Master

Looking good!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Watch that thermos bottle as the company told me they no longer honor the lifetime guarantee.

Yes I have at least 4 I should have sent back but now will go to the scrap yard instead.

Now tell us how the heating project is progressing?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Moderator Emeritus

Haven't decided on a heater yet... I have a backup propane heater I use for the house that is 40,000 BTU and as heavily insulated as that garage is going to be it will be enough to make it comfortable on the days I need to work out there. Really cold weather I may fire it up and let it run for 4-5 hours then shut it down just to keep things above freezing. Soon as the door was closed today heat from the slab still curing raised the temp in there 10 degrees! The guy working today said he doesn't heat his garage at all and it stayed above freezing last winter and it was about the same size as mine. I am going to put a recording thermometer out there and track temps this winter and see how it goes. Windows are all double pane too!

Boolit Master

I insulated my garage,but have yet to purchase a heater and can tell you that unless the temps remain in the mid teens or less for more that a couple of days it stays above freezing in there. You will not need much to heat your new garages long as the doors and windows are fairly tight.

Moderator Emeritus

Windows are all double pane, door is R16. After 2 inches of rain the guys didn't have any other jobs they could work on so I won the lets go finish lottery. All that is left is blow insulation into the attic space. All the wall steel is up, window and door trim in, everything caulked... View from the open garage door. I would have taken the picture from further back but it was pouring rain! All the material was soaking wet as it was brought in so I am going to heat it tomorrow to dry it out inside.

This has been a great build Mary.
    What all will go in there?

Boolit Grand Master

Sure looks smaller when you close it in, doesn't it!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Sure looks smaller when you close it in, doesn't it!
    Sure does.....

how many outlets did u install and other data outlets if any?

Moderator Emeritus

Just starting on the wiring, going to all be surface mounted in conduit for easy changes. No need for data out there, my cell phone has unlimited data for the little I may need it out there plus my wireless network can be picked up in there.

Truck is going in there along with the lawn equipment(mower and snowblower), and my wood shop. I often need wood pieces for the laser and now I will have space to work on stuff without needing to drag a table saw out on the deck if I need to cut a sheet of plywood. Current shop is the 12x16 shed off my deck that also holds all the lawn chairs, tables, smoker, Weber grills... No room to even turn around in there!

Banned
    That's a nice set up! I like the metal interior. Bright, fire resistant, will not rot and easier to install than sheet rock. With that light colored finish and those windows you will not need as much lighting.

Any thoughts of sealing that concrete floor after it cures completely?

Moderator Emeritus

I am thinking one of the epoxy floor coatings so I can get oil off easy. Now that I have a garage I know a friend will be over to do his oil changes in it. His garage is to low to jack up a truck or van in.

Banned
    Those epoxy finishes are nice. Easy to clean up and tough. You can add sand to the epoxy to make it non-slip but then you can't use a squeegee to push water out the door as well and it's harder to sweep up dust. I'd go with the epoxy without the grit.

I do think the concrete must be completely cured before you apply them. If you plan on using epoxy try to keep oil off the floor until you can get it down.

That's a nice building you have ! Good job !

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Might want to put down a large plastic tarp till the concrete warms up enough for the epoxy to properly cure as well.

Check on the cure conditions on your selected epoxy and in the meantime decide if you want a clear coat or possibly if available white for cleaning up .
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Generally it is 30 - 90 days cure for concrete to coat. Read the application instructions, they should have all the details in there..

I did a 26x40. Not big enough!!! 2 old 60's fords and 2 jeeps + all my hoarding stuff=full. Hopefully adding on in a few years.