Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Best Hemostats?

Boolit Buddy

Best Hemostats?

I've been using needle nosed pliers to remove my boolits from my PC. I find it...annoying and challenging.

Supposebly medical hemostats are the way to go.

Which ones? What length? Curved? Springs? Let's hear some opinions on what makes this task easier.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    8" total length, 45 degree curved...no springs. Best there is. I have several sizes and shapes and that one is the best for pick-n-set from coolwhip and Ziplok bowls!

Hemos have deep cut teeth in the jaws that allow excellent gentle hold on lead boolits. And the make excellent heat sinks for any of you that build electronics heat-sensitive things with soldering irons. They lock closed with three different grips.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I use a pair of 6" curved. Also have a set of of straights, but prefer the curved for picking boolits out of the tub.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Buddy

Same here edler7.Curved by far the best.

Boolit Master

Attachment 153364Our local Wally world has hemostats back in the "fishing section." Advertised to remove hooks from fish. They are curved, have the "teeth" that lock the hemostats and serrations at the tips.

(My buddy had to get in the picture, he always wants to be involved)
    Last edited by Hickok; 11-15-2015 at 08:07 AM.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    Nice looking guard dog Hickok, I love Yorkies. And Yup, curved or angled hemostats work better than strait ones and much better than pliers. Gp

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Attachment 153364Our local Wally world has hemostats back in the "fishing section." Advertised to remove hooks from fish. They are curved, have the "teeth" that lock the hemostats and serrations at the tips.

(My buddy had to get in the picture, he always wants to be involved)
    I use the same.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I use the same as listed above, they're quite cheap at harbor freight. If memory serves it's well under 10 bucks.

Ebner

Boolit Buddy
    use a tweezers way easier and faster than clumsy pliers and clampy things

Boolit Master

I use hemostats for various things, but I'm always misplacing them. So, I ordered a 10-pack of assorted ones off of eBay. Looking on eBay right now, I see them going for $14 -- I don't remember what I paid, but it probably wasn't any more than that. I still misplace them, but since there are so many laying around, I'm more likely to stumble across one when I searching.

At that price, you don't feel guilty bending or grinding one down to make it just the right shape for some specialized task.

I've heard it said that if you leave them in visible in your car, you should make sure that you have some solder and a soldering iron handy so that some cop doesn't think they are drug paraphernalia. Supposedly, the pot smokers have been known to use them as "roach clips". We always used them as heat sinks while soldering.

Boolit Master

Stop by your local Veterinarian, those hemostats wear out quicker than you may think, the clinic my wife worked at used to toss them a couple times a year. After a while they just don't close down tight enough to hold a needle or suture material any longer even with the handle locks, but work great for little fiddly things in the shop.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

These are approx. 40 years old, and were issued to me at work for terminating wires in telephone exchanges. They were custom made at the time because nothing like this was available commercially. Red fibre handles, drilled for the hemostat arms which were epoxied in. The tubing acted as a spring, to keep the jaws apart.

Unfortunately, after all these years a few days ago I broke them - I was a bit heavy-handed and should have known better - and I was gutted!! Fortunately, ebay found me a replacement pair (all of $4) and this time I went with the curved tips. Not quite as fine as the original, but should still do the job. I find them invaluable for all sorts of things....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tweezers 1a.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	153599

Boolit Buddy
    I switched to nitrile gloves and won't look back,I just did some .22 cal. pellets for my AR primer only rounds, no problem.

CC

I don't have a yorkie but think they are the cutest dogs ever.

Oh...And I like shorter hemo's..less shake and easier to get that small area without nicking driving bands

Boolit Master
    I just took my hemostats to the bench grinder and took off the teeth in the tip area. Also founded off the edges. They work much better and don't have the teeth marks on the boolits.