RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chronograph Reccomendations

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Did you receive conformation of this? Everyone I know got the email about backordered parts and how it wouldn't ship until around Christmas.
    I received the same e-mail. The unit arrived last week just before I was admitted to the hospital with pancreatitis. I'll write up a little ops report after my next range trip.

Boolit Master
    Have they updated the electronics on Oehler 35 at all? There is no doubt that it is the best design around but electronics have really come quite a ways since the 35 was introduced.
    [

I just picked up a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital and am very happy with it.

http://www.competitionelectronics.co...hrono-digital/
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Today I finally got out to test the Labradar for a second time. The first time the unit would not read my bullets fired from my Remington 40X in 22Lr. due to not enough muzzle blast with Norma TAC-22 ammo.

Today I tested it with a microphone attachment that is used for pellet guns and arrows, and everything worked great. In the attached picture you can see the microphone on the right side of the unit just in front and to the side of the muzzle, the chronograph reads 1080 fps muzzle velocity in the picture. I got additional readings at 10,20,30,40 50 yards that I set it to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8325.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	153036

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    Today I finally got out to test the Labradar for a second time. The first time the unit would not read my bullets fired from my Remington 40X in 22Lr. due to not enough muzzle blast with Norma TAC-22 ammo.

Today I tested it with a microphone attachment that is used for pellet guns and arrows, and everything worked great. In the attached picture you can see the microphone on the right side of the unit just in front and to the side of the muzzle, the chronograph reads 1080 fps muzzle velocity in the picture. I got additional readings at 10,20,30,40 50 yards that I set it to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8325.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	153036
    Great write-up! Did you test to see max range the .22 would get picked up by the radar? I haven't had a chance to try mine yet as I'm still on the mend but your report has got me itching to try it out!!

Boolit Master
    Actually I was doing a torque test more than anything, you can see the Wheeler FAT wrench on the bench.

The Norma TAC-22 averaged 1071 fps. with a high of 1092 fps., and a low of 1042 fps. and a extreme spread of 49.94 with a 9.45 S.D.. This was for 76 shots.

Last week I was shooting this gun with the TAC-22 at 200 and 300 yards and managed a 6 shot group at 200 yards of just barely over 2" with a slight vertical stringing which is why I am doing the torque test in order to see if I can mitigate some of it. Last week it was a challenge with all the wind, but today was great but I only shot at 100 yards on paper.

Hopefully I will get some more cooperation with mother nature as to having no wind. Today the wind was very light 2-3 mph but with the overcast sky's I had no mirage to read.

My goal is to find the best torque for the bedding screws with this ammo and confirm my zeros from 25 yards all the way to 300 yards,and make up a drop/windage card in 25 yard increments. I also want a drop/windage card in 5 yard increments for the first 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    Caldwell is good. Mine is very sturdy and works great. Come with IR light bars that really help when the light isn't perfect. Price was very good at MidwayUSA
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

There is no doubt that it is the best design around but electronics have really come quite a ways since the 35 was introduced.
    I'm not sure what would need to be updated. The sky screens are simply an electrical switch that start and stop a clock in the chronograph. They are very reliable as is the chronograph itself. The last thing Oehler needs to do is "update" it ala Widows Vista,2000, 8.1 etc. As soon as you shoot it gives you velocity instantly and when you're done with a string gives you high,low,average velocity and standard deviation. If you have the 35P it prints it out for you. I like mine.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I have a CED Millennium M2 that works great, but you still have to put your target out then align your gun with the target, and then fiddle with aligning the screens at the right height so the bullet passes over both photoelectric eyes and then hope the light is good enough to read the velocity.

There are two kinds of people that own chronographs, one that has shot theirs and one that is going to.

What I really like with my new LabRadar is I do not have anything align or shoot over and works in all light conditions. Check out how long it takes to set up and record velocities at this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4a37bqY1SM

Boolit Master

Had a chance to test the LabRadar today and I am impressed. It tracked 55gr .223 bullets at 3400 FPS out to a maximum range of 65 yards. It's nice to be able to select multiple ranges to display the velocity for, but the Muzzle velocity is really all I'm interested in. It is very easy to set up and use and there's no chance of shooting it!!! I'll try the .308 and .338 next weekend.

Boolit Master
    I went out and used my LabRadar again today shooting my 40X 22Lr., at first I set the longest distance for 60 yards then reset it for 75 yards and it read the velocities. I was elated that it read the 22Lr. bullet at 75 yards, so I again reset the distances for 10,25,50,75, and 100 yards and again was elated that it was able to still give me velocity readings.

The velocity readings I got today for 42 shots of Norma TAC-22 was
    1071.91 fps. M.V.
    1088.37 High
    1055.95 Low
    32.43 E.S.
    7.87 S.D.
    931.2 fps at 100 yards.

TheCelt, if you go into the TRK folder it will break down the velocities for each shot giving time of flight, velocity, and distance. One of my shots was recorded at 109.99 yards. This is a lot better then putting a second chronograph down range and shooting over it to get a single reading.

Boolit Master

I went out and used my LabRadar again today shooting my 40X 22Lr., at first I set the longest distance for 60 yards then reset it for 75 yards and it read the velocities. I was elated that it read the 22Lr. bullet at 75 yards, so I again reset the distances for 10,25,50,75, and 100 yards and again was elated that it was able to still give me velocity readings.

The velocity readings I got today for 42 shots of Norma TAC-22 was
    1071.91 fps. M.V.
    1088.37 High
    1055.95 Low
    32.43 E.S.
    7.87 S.D.
    931.2 fps at 100 yards.

TheCelt, if you go into the TRK folder it will break down the velocities for each shot giving time of flight, velocity, and distance. One of my shots was recorded at 109.99 yards. This is a lot better then putting a second chronograph down range and shooting over it to get a single reading.

Hey Doc, Thanks for the info on the TRK folder!!! This was the first time I worked with the unit and I've got to climb the learning curve a little. I am very impressed with the TAC-22 performance! The ES and SD are the best I've seen for 22LR! All in all I think this new chronograph is going to be a game changer.

Boolit Grand Master

These reviews of the Labradar are making me upset I'm on the waiting list

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    These reviews of the Labradar are making me upset I'm on the waiting list
    After I got the last e-mail about the parts backorder I almost cancelled my order, I have been waiting about 2 years for the darned thing to go on the market! I'm glad I didn't, and I think you'll be pleased when you get yours!!!! If you are up for a road trip come on down to NW Florida and you can use mine!!!

Boolit Grand Master

If you got the email about the parts backorder but have received a unit they must be working their way down the list. That gives me hope. It's nice to see they are working in the field. I have no problem being patient and waiting. Hopefully they start shipping again around Christmas.

Boolit Master
    I would recommend that you buy the rechargeable battery and the microphone for air guns and arrows. When I first tried to use the unit the muzzle blast from the 20" barrel with the TAC-22 was not enough to start the unit. It works great now!

Look at the picture that I posted in post #45 and you can see the microphone hanging off the right side just in front and to the side of my muzzle.

Boolit Master

I would recommend that you buy the rechargeable battery and the microphone for air guns and arrows. When I first tried to use the unit the muzzle blast from the 20" barrel with the TAC-22 was not enough to start the unit. It works great now!

Look at the picture that I posted in post #45 and you can see the microphone hanging off the right side just in front and to the side of my muzzle.
    I did get the rechargeable battery pack and have found that I could really use the microphone, I'll get that as soon as the sticker shock wears off!!!!

My Ohler 35P was very good for several years then the brain went out; need to send it in for repairs but been to lazy to pack it up. The Ohlers are a pain to set up at ranges and like most all chrono's tough to align on target quickly making others impatient if the range is busy. Mostly, I would just shoot thru mine for velocity not worrying about a target, then set up my targets for accuracy purposes and site-in. My Sons have used the Ohler here at home shooting arrows, pellet rifles and sometimes their 22 rifles.
    - Also have two of the Competition Electronics that IMO work great, easy to set up and no issues with either after many years. At $129. (there is a $99. one as well) I can't say anything negative about them. One 9 volt battery last me all summer. This is all I take to the range for the past 6-7 years. If mine quit Their would be another on order soon but so far, have not had any failures.

GC45
    Last edited by gc45; 11-17-2015 at 01:16 PM. Reason: error

Boolit Master
    Today I took my LabRadar out again and this time I set the distance for the velocity readings at 25,50,75,100, and 125 yards. I was rewarded with enough readings at 125 yards to get a average of 901 fps, with a MV of 1062 fps at 40 degrees.

I love that it takes only about one minuet to set up taking my time.

Boolit Master

I remember a few years back where some LEOs who were operating RADAR guns (to supplement their department's coffers) were being diagnosed with testicular cancer. Those RADAR units were supposedly "safe" also.