MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Venison and GMO corn

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Jpholla View Post
    Possibly, but not all these "brain diseases" affect "old people" and also, while a larger percentage of the population is living to be older, there have always been people living to be old, and before around the 1950's these types of diseases were much, much rarer.
    And those who DID live to be older were much, much rarer as well.

Along these lines think of the overall picture. My dad smoked all of his life, and lived to the age of 80, but very few smokers live to 80.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    And those who DID live to be older were much, much rarer as well.

Are you kidding me? You just admonished me for mowing my lawn and cutting my hair in another post and gave lip service to God. Did you ever check the ages in Genesis? Also, much of modern improvement in longevity is from eliminating infant mortality. There were lots of old people 100-200 years ago but infant mortality was high. It skews the averages.
    Rule 303

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    Are you kidding me? You just admonished me for mowing my lawn and cutting my hair in another post and gave lip service to God. Did you ever check the ages in Genesis? Also, much of modern improvement in longevity is from eliminating infant mortality. There were lots of old people 100-200 years ago but infant mortality was high. It skews the averages.
    No I was not kidding. This is after a 1 minute Google search.

~http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science_of_longevity/2013/09/life_expectancy_history_public_health_and_medical_ advances_that_lead_to.html

~Photo courtesy of Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services
    The most important difference between the world today and 150 years ago isn’t airplane flight or nuclear weapons or the Internet. It’s lifespan. We used to live 35 or 40 years on average in the United States, but now we live almost 80. We used to get one life. Now we get two.

Laura Helmuth Laura Helmuth is Slate's science and health editor.

You may well be living your second life already. Have you ever had some health problem that could have killed you if you’d been born in an earlier era? Leave aside for a minute the probabilistic ways you would have died in the past—the smallpox that didn’t kill you because it was eradicated by a massive global vaccine drive, the cholera you never contracted because you drink filtered and chemically treated water. Did some specific medical treatment save your life? It’s a fun conversation starter: Why are you not dead yet? It turns out almost everybody has a story, but we rarely hear them; life-saving treatments have become routine. I asked around, and here is a small sample of what would have killed my friends and acquaintances:

Neither you nor I have any idea what the average was in the time of Genesis.

You claiming "lots" is nothing more that a subjective term. Lots has no meaning as to numbers.

admonish

[ad-mon-ish] /ædˈmɒn ɪʃ/
    Spell Syllables

verb (used with object) 1. to caution, advise, or counsel against something.

2. to reprove or scold, especially in a mild and good-willed manner: The teacher admonished him about excessive noise.

There is the meaning of admonish, all I was doing was pointing out the lack of your logic, no scolding involved.

Hey, even I mow my yard, or at least I used to.

Boolit Master
    jcwit, Actually I am 54 and, no, I have never been saved by modern medicine. I have had many people I know die, often I think modern medicine and modern lifestyles helped them along, and am now growing my own food with heirloom seeds, no less. The last time I saw a doctor was long ago. You have handled this verbal jousting well so I will stop now but with one exception. If you look at Genesis and actually believe it, rather than thinking it a fairy tale, the normal lifespans back than were incredible to a modern mind.

By the way, the first to clothe man wasn't man, it was God. That is a passage worth looking at and thinking about. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin. What did God clothe them with? It wasn't fig leaves.

I'll stop now. I'm not much for arguing but have been looking into this GMO issue the last year and find it disturbing. Peace.
    Rule 303

jcwit, Actually I am 54 and, no, I have never been saved by modern medicine. I have had many people I know die, often I think modern medicine and modern lifestyles helped them along, and am now growing my own food with heirloom seeds, no less. The last time I saw a doctor was long ago. You have handled this verbal jousting well so I will stop now but with one exception. If you look at Genesis and actually believe it, rather than thinking it a fairy tale, the normal lifespans back than were incredible to a modern mind.

By the way, the first to clothe man wasn't man, it was God. That is a passage worth looking at and thinking about. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin. What did God clothe them with? It wasn't fig leaves.

I'll stop now. I'm not much for arguing but have been looking into this GMO issue the last year and find it disturbing. Peace.
    I have been saved by Faith & modern medicine, had polio at the age of 13, parents were told I'd likely not live, I did, I was told I'd never walk again, I did, in fact I served 8 years in the U.S. Army. Way back in 2000 came down with cancer, Faith & modern medicine brought thru a sickness the Dr. said I never live thru 2 months.

I also believe in Genesis, but no one has any idea what the average life span of the average person living at that time was, whether one of the tribes or not.

Yes God clothed man & woman with skins, it is written in the book as such. Genesis 3:21

Man has invented many things, meds incl. with the mind God has given him.

Wow!!! This thing BLEW UP!!! Agriculture is agriculture folks. If you're gonna whine about it make sure not to do it with a mouthful of food. JW

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    Wow!!! This thing BLEW UP!!! Agriculture is agriculture folks. If you're gonna whine about it make sure not to do it with a mouthful of food. JW
    That it is, and how right you are................

Gentlemen, The BT in GMO BT corn stands for bacillus thuringiensis, a naturally occurring bacteria in soil that has insecticidal properties. Corn was modified to produce this bacteria to control corn ear worms and rootworms. If you've ever husked sweet corn and found ear worms in the kernals you might feel differently about the use of BT corn. The root worms attack and destroy the corn's root system. This leads to much lower yields because the corn cannot absorb nutrients from the soil and the corn plant root system cannot support the plant. It simply falls over and dies. 20 Years ago we controlled root worms on the corn by using Organo Phosphate Pesticides. This stuff was so deadly that 2 teaspoons full would kill a full grown cow in about a half hour. People cried and whined about these terrible insecticides and their indiscriminate killing of earthworms and other beneficial insecticides. In response geneticists came up with BT corn that produced a relatively harmless, corm worm specific, natural bacterium. For their efforts and the dollars they invested they get only belly aching from those who don't know the background and progress this represents. By the way, bacillus thuringiensis bacterium has had the approval for ORGANIC FARM use for over 50 years. Organic farmers may apply the bacterium directly to soils and crops with wheeled equipment and crop dusting planes. So much for organic purity.

This goes right along with RBST free milk. All milk from all mammals contains Somatatrophins. The milk from ALL cows contains, appropriately named, Bovine Somatatrophin (BST). In the 1980s Monsanto developed a way to manufacture synthetic BST. They did this in much the same way that we manufacture human insulin. The BST producing gene is spliced to a fast growing bacteria. The bacteria is killed by pasteurization leaving behind the recombinant BST (rBST). Cows injected with rBST eat more feed and produce more milk. This is done in the same sized facilities, requiring the same capital investment with the same labor cost as that cow producing less milk. BST and rBST are virtually indistinguishable in milk both in structure and quantity. More importantly, both are simple proteins that are completely digested in the human stomach with NO hormonal properties. The resulting efficiencies are one of the things that keep some farmers farming. Consumers want the best food, bug free, GMO free, hormone free, disease free, etc. And they want it cheap. Sorry folks. No such thing as a free lunch.

Sorry for the rant but I worked as farmer from the age of about 6 until I was 32. Then, for the last 30 years, I have worked in on farm quality control for a major food manufacturer. It gets really frustrating to listen to the buzzwords come and go, to watch farmers continuously try to meet consumer expectations and get no compensation for trying to do so. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

In Remembrance
    Possibly, but not all these "brain diseases" affect "old people" and also, while a larger percentage of the population is living to be older, there have always been people living to be old, and before around the 1950's these types of diseases were much, much rarer.
    Lots of things to think about comparing an old person in the fifties, to an older one these days .
    Just an example, how many old guys in the fifties spent a few drug induced years back around 1910 or so.
    By the same token, how many hyper kids were drugged back then to calm them down? Progress has up sides, as well as downsides.
    I have read where medical proffessional folks consider alzheimers (spelling) to be a man made disease, mostly caused by visiting doctors too much. I don't know if there is any science or truth to that, but years ago, folks seldem went to the doctor when they had a splinter in their finger, and it is common these days.

Boolit Master
    A more specifically defined type of GMO is a "Transgenic Organism". This is an organism whose genetic makeup has been altered by the addition of genetic material from another, unrelated organism.

​Does this mean that Bruce Jenner is also a GMO??

Banned

God created every plant on earth and every chemical we use to treat them. God also created cancer and every other disease. God didn't want us to live here forever he wants us to come back to him in heaven. Ever think that maybe these side effects and diseases they cause aren't part of Gods plan to slow the population growth until we come up with better ways to feed the earths population?

People put way more thought into staying alive then they do on how to spend the time they have here doing what Jesus said we must. If your the type that stresses over everything you eat and breath then your probably not going to live a bit longer then some layed back fat guy that smokes. Stress kills as much or more then cancer does. I figure I have on shot on earth. Ive made it 60 years and if you would have asked me at 20 if I would have made it this far id have probably laughed in your face. Personaly id rather live 70 years eating food that tastes great, having an occasional beer and enjoying life then I would if I made 80 eating rabbit food and running around with a doctors mask on to filter the pollution and germs. Genetically altered plants are NEEDED to feed the population of the earth and will be need even more in the future. Sure you can say maybe we have to many people and should address that but I doubt if your going to volunteer to help those numbers.

Two very thoughtful and informative posts without all the fear mongering in earlier posts. Thanks very much to Rockydog & Lloyd Smale for their posts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Two very thoughtful and informative posts without all the fear mongering in earlier posts. Thanks very much to Rockydog & Lloyd Smale for their posts.
    +1 From a soils chemist and farmer

Boolit Buddy
    Gmo corn is selling for less than $4 a bushel and organic corn is over $12........ Now if everyone decided to go organic we would cut supply by about 2/3 because of the gmo benifits. Now while world demand goes up and supply goes down what do you think your bag of corn chips is going to cost, or pork, Beef, you name it. Bet the average lifespan goes down due to starvation because you were worried about getting cancer when you were 75.

Boolit Master
    When we overpopulate the earth, God (in the form of Mother Nature) will sort things out! Just like the animals that run a circle every 7 years (or so). The key to a manageable population lies in education. Just look at who is over producing offspring. China took a stab at population control using legislation and as far as I can see, that has not worked too well. Personally, I do not worry too much about when my end will come, but I do try to use common sense and the health benefits "man" has developed. I have no intention of going before I have no other choice. That said, I do believe a person should have the right to choose to die with dignity, rather than being kept alive just for the sake of prolonging life.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Not so fast. Psalm 90, written around 1000BC, says "Seventy is the measure of our years, or eighty for those who are strong."

Low average life span had a lot to do with infant mortality and childhood diseases that have largely been stopped by immunization. Those diseases are making a comeback because some are afraid of vaccines because celebrities with no medical or scientific knowledge told them they should be.

Are autism and Parkinson's really more common now? We've learned a lot since the 1950s, so we diagnose specific things that used to go under generic labels. Also, there have been changes in criteria for diagnosing these diseases. Autism in particular covers a very wide range.

So is it worse or are we just more aware than we used to be? In either case I'm grilling a steak tonight from a cow that undoubtedly ate GMO corn and I won't lose a wink of sleep over it.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Save the trees!

Moderator Emeritus

Except that they have discovered that GMO crops are not producing more than standard hybrids!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    God created every plant on earth and every chemical we use to treat them. God also created cancer and every other disease. God didn't want us to live here forever he wants us to come back to him in heaven. Ever think that maybe these side effects and diseases they cause aren't part of Gods plan to slow the population growth until we come up with better ways to feed the earths population?

People put way more thought into staying alive then they do on how to spend the time they have here doing what Jesus said we must. If your the type that stresses over everything you eat and breath then your probably not going to live a bit longer then some layed back fat guy that smokes. Stress kills as much or more then cancer does. I figure I have on shot on earth. Ive made it 60 years and if you would have asked me at 20 if I would have made it this far id have probably laughed in your face. Personaly id rather live 70 years eating food that tastes great, having an occasional beer and enjoying life then I would if I made 80 eating rabbit food and running around with a doctors mask on to filter the pollution and germs. Genetically altered plants are NEEDED to feed the population of the earth and will be need even more in the future. Sure you can say maybe we have to many people and should address that but I doubt if your going to volunteer to help those numbers.