Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD Products
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fave 45/70, moderate velocity diy lube?

Moderator Emeritus

I got a fair sized sample of MML+S from 357Maximum, but I have never done any cold weather shooting testing with it. That lube sample would definitely need a heater on a lubesizer, if the room temp is 55ºF.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I got a fair sized sample of MML+S from 357Maximum, but I have never done any cold weather shooting testing with it. That lube sample would definitely need a heater on a lubesizer, if the room temp is 55ºF.
    OK, thanks, Jon. I wonder if I screwed up the Ben's red somehow - it's supposed to be for warmer weather, by which I'd presume, it's supposed to be a bit harder than, say, the MML, but I found it needed no heat at all, filled out and went through well, on my old 450 (since busted, another story). Good to know, though, that the heater is advised with the MML. Cabela's has them, though they're going for $20 more than other places I'm seeing (not surprising, in my experience).

edit: FWIW, these are groups this last April, 425 WLNGC's from Accurate, and Ben's.

39.7 grains IME 4198 (above) is what I settled on, even though I got slightly better group at 39.3:

-similar results by +/- 0.2 grains 39.3-40.1, but 39.7 grains showed the best chrony stats, so went with it. 1700 fps or so.
    Last edited by huntinlever; 09-29-2015 at 02:37 PM.
    -Paul

Ben's Red followed by a light coat of BLL. It just works.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    two lubes.

the mml would be a great hunting lube for what you want, it was developed specifically for the Michigan hunting season.

a swap for general shooting and such then a couple of sight in shots with the mml and use it to hunt with is what most of us in the cold climates do.

oh those store-boughts are [99% of the time] lubes made with micro-wax, a little carnuba and coloring in it.
    it's designed to stay in the lube grooves and look good.
    Runfive, to revisit this, this approach makes perfect sense to me. The only reason I've not implemented it is because I have only one luber (got the 4500, w/ heater), and dealing with changing out lubes, even seasonally, seemed like more trouble than it was worth, if one lube does serviceably well across the seasons. How does one deal with one machine, and multiple lubes on a trial basis?

I'm very happy with Ben's, very happy, but curiosity also has me wanting to try out some MML, and I have the ingredients now. So would love to know what people do in this situation.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tailhunter View Post
    Ben's Red followed by a light coat of BLL. It just works.
    I've read this elsewhere too, Tail. Thanks for the post.
    -Paul

Banned

"gatofeo" lube.

with the typical .45-70 tin:lead alloy un-checked bullet, gato lube works superbly for both black powder and smokeless (such as aa5744) cartridges, travelling upwards of 1300+fps. it's also my go-to lube for .45acp lead.

by weight ....

1 part mutton tallow (dixie gun works)
    1 part canning wax (gulf wax)
    1/2 part pure beeswax (found just about everywhere)

melt all three ingredients double boiler style, i.e. - put the parts in a jar or can, put that container in a pot of water, heat the water.

to get the lube on the boolits i do dip lubing - fast 'n' thorough.

adjust the amount of beeswax for really hot or cold climates.

I have no experience with this lube and severe cold weather but all my 45/70 castings get "simple green", works very well.

Boolit Master

I highly recommend bringing a tow strap (no chain, too dangerous) with you and 2 shovels as part of your critical gear. Do it just as you would bring your gun and ammo. Especially NE WI and Upper Peninsula MI, as there is plenty of lake affect snow every day, and I mean every day.
    The temperature is a **** shoot, sometimes it's way below zero other years I've seen it above.
    The other lube is TAC 1, it was developed for WI

Speed Green or its equivalent
    or
    LOTAK or its equivalent.