Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMCD Products
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Shaving

Boolit Grand Master

Up until a few months ago I'd been wearing a neatly trimmed full beard. When I shaved it was the first time I'd seen my ugly mug in almost eight years. I had to comply with a strict grooming policy for 25 years, hated shaving then. Still do. I use the cheapest doubles and Colgate or Barbasol aerosol. I think I may still have a mug & brush around here, just don't feel it's worth the trouble.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I just use a weedwhacker on it once a month -- whether it needs it or not. In other words, about as often as I check my mail.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    When I was shaving I used a Norelco electric, which shot this shaving goop out, followed up by a Mach 3. I literally jammed the electric into my face because it won't hurt you. And the Mach 3 was to get it all the way down. By far the fastest way I found to shave.

I stopped shaving because I did the math and I work out in the elements. Say it takes you 5 minutes a day to shave times 7 days times 52 weeks equals 30 hours spent shaving per year. Multiply that by years spent shaving. That's a lot of wasted time shaving. I'd rather do other things. I have a habit of doing the same thing w/ other time wasters like how many weeks I've spent commuting to and from work
    I shave in 30 seconds while sitting on the toilet. Still laughing about this post.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    One thing I learned about when shaving with a DE razor is don't think of it as shaving, think of it as beard removal. Remove a little each time. I shave 2-3 times before I call it good on a work day. If I'm going out somewhere special it's 3-4 times. I don't try to cut too deep, so to speak. I just want it smooth.
    My wife is a nurse and on occasion when they need to shave someone at work that has been on heavy blood thinners instead of shaving cream they use Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion. I have tried it as home but it really clogs up the razor.

Boolit Buddy

If you're really cheap, you can fill a mason jar up with isopropyl alcohol and drop your razor in that an put a lid on it. I have razors that have lasted 8-9 months before becoming dull. Its the rust that kills your blades.
    Further to that, try getting a badger hair brush and some fancy pre-shave oil followed by shave cream and you can get the closest shave ever with a good old one blade safety razor.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I turn wooden handles and insert a badger brush - turn a razor handle and screw on a head (your choice of type) and turn the upright of the holder for the set - $80! Just the high quality brush is $25. I'm at work now, I'll have to come back to this to get the shaving creme I use - it is the best I've found and have been using it for years.
    What I am using for shave creme is from The Body Shop and it is their Maca Root Shave Cream. I throw the top away and let it harden, a can lasts more than a year.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    I use a twin blade disposable from dollar shave club. Works for me at 3 bucks month.
    Same here, except I only shave once or twice a week and took the every other month delivery option.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Take good care of that Fat Boy, if you happen to still have the box and papers it came with and it is in excellent shape, it's value is in the hundreds.

Even just by itself and in good condition many collectors will pay up to $50/$60 bucks.
    No box , no papers, Dad used it everyday and didn't think about it ever becoming a "collectible ".
    I went on line and was amazed at the prices.... $50.00 to $500.00 depending on condition and box/papers. WOW ! I had no idea.
    I cleaned it up real good, put a drop of oil down in the adjustment mechanism, and will give it a little respect when I use it.
    Thanks for the heads up,
    Gary

Boolit Master

I tried using a straight razor but obviously didn't get it honed well. It was crazy sharp, but I couldn't get a good pass with it. For years I used Edge, but never liked it much and needed after shave for razor burn. I hated shaving, and electrics tore my face up even worse.

Then my mother sent me the Caswell Massey Greenbrier shave bowl and soap, and that stuff is wonderful! I bought a nice brush from Macy's display for The Art of Shaving, and I use a cheap store-brand two bladed disposable razor to shave, as long as it has a lubricating strip. With the Caswell Massey soap I have no razor burn and never need after shave. I use the same razor for two to three months. I am careful to clean out the blade after every use under running water and I blow it dry.

I think the simple truth of it is I don't have a dense or hard beard, so I can get away with shaving habits that would send most men crying out of the bathroom. I would like to learn a straight razor someday, because it just looks cool. My father occasionally used one, but watching him convinced me not to try for years! (He wasn't very good...)

Bulldogger

Boolit Grand Master

The straight razor was designed for someone else to shave me! I have no desire to reverse it's intended use.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    The straight razor was designed for someone else to shave me! I have no desire to reverse it's intended use.
    I don't even trust my own self with a sharp object at my jugular vein. Why should I trust someone else???

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I run a cheap double or triple blade in the shower . My beard is pretty soft to the touch but hard on razors . Cut pass ,rinse ,cut pass, rinse, cut pass, rinse ...... about 25 x to get around my face then cut against grain to clean it up same thing cut rinse. I completely gave up on shaving about 3 yr ago and just run a trimmer to keep it neat , although that may change soon there's just so much "snow" in the yard ,it makes the blone,black and red look bad.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Mold
    I have a full beard, so only need to shave the neck. I use Harry's, and would pay their price even if i had to shave my whole body.

Boolit Master
    My whiskers are like barbed wire. I used to scrap a cartridge in 4 or 5 shaves (and I shave in the shower). Even though I'm retired and only shave about 3 times a week I can't stand the idea of paying $50.00+ for maybe 6 or 7 months worth of "Fusion" cartridges.

About 2 months ago I remembered that I had Grandpa's straight razor put away someplace. Found it in one of the drawers of my rolltop desk and with a bit of study determined it was made in 1840 (give or take 3 years).
    A little nervous about using an 1840 ivory scaled (handled) family heirloom, I bought a mid-priced Dovo, did my research, bought the needed stones and strops and despite shaky hands have started straight razor shaving. Had to laugh when I looked in the mirror and saw my shaky hands dragging an insanely sharp blade down my neck. It looked like a scene from a horror movie.
    Also bought two double edged razors; a new Parker and a very well kept used Gillette "Fat Boy". The "Fat Boy" came with an assortment of about 100 blades.

After only 4 or 5 shaves using the straight razor followed by the Gillette adjustable, I've found that I now enjoy something I used to detest; shaving. Also, as jcwit pointed out, old razors, particularly some of the old Gillette adjustable and Aristocrat models climb in value; even those that have been reworked and re-plated.

I have 2 teenage sons in the house who just started shaving in past few months and when all the cartridges have been used up by them they will start using double edge razors. My wife is already using the double edge razors and likes them. She says on top of the shave being more customizable (with the adjustable) she likes the idea of going through 15 cents worth of blades per week as opposed to $1.50 in cartridges.
    I won't be buying any more cartridges.

I also feel better about spending money on durable goods that my sons will inherit, rather than expendable goods that go into the trash.

I did end up putting a fresh edge on Great, Great Granddad's straight razor and have used it 3 or 4 times. It's a strange and good feeling using my ancestor's 175 year old straight razor.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Worked on the process for many years, works FAR better than all the other ways I
    have tried.

Hot shower, dry body and hair but leave face wet. Get out the Edge and wet face
    again with hot water, then slather with Edge. Brush teeth for two full minutes to
    let the beard soak up more moisture from the gel and the water before the gel.

THEN shave with cheap Bic or Schick double edge throw away razor. Clean out
    by knocking it hard on the sink, rinsing and knock out hard again. Lots of beard
    pieces come out from between the blades. Leave razor out to dry. I get months
    of use out of a cheap two blade razor.

if I short cut the process, shave is less pleasant, blades last dramatically
    shorter time. The key is to give the beard a LOT of time to get really wet
    and stay wet, it will dry out rapidly without the Edge gel foam. Getting off
    track, like feeding the cats (2-3 minutes) after shower and before latheing
    wrecks the whole thing.

I have used a good bristle brush, have several and like them, just too slow
    for me, trying to get through this as quickly as possible, while doing it right.

If I just walk in, wash face and lather up, then shave, I get a rough shave
    and razors last maybe 3-4 uses before shot. The long soaking process
    detailed above is necessary and works for me.
    Last edited by MtGun44; 10-30-2015 at 12:39 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Got the Merkur today. Made up a nice thick lather from a piece of Williams on top of a VDH Glycerin puck. Back on a DE for the first time in about about 35 years. Did a nice job no nicks, scrapes, bullet holes, broken bones or blood! Gotta work on the angle on the neck though, not as smooth as the face, practice. Face feels better, tight and clean, not all sloppy from them silly 'lube strips'.

If I can get a week out of a DE blade at 20 cents a pop that'll be a far cry from the cartridges, and a bit more fun too. The brush from Portugal is already in the USA. Looking forward to breaking it in too. Now to try some soaps suggested here. This is kinda neat...
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Master

I haven't shaved for about 30 years. I worked in a factory, no requirement to be clean shaven. That was great because no matter what kind of razor I used, I got ingrown hairs. That flat out hurts when the whole face is ablaze in red welts until the hair finds it's way out the pore, then the infection can clear.

I trim my beard with a Whal clipper on the lowest setting that leaves a stubble on my neck and cheek to style the beard similar to a Charlie Daniels look.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Both my Semogue brand brushes came from Portugal. Both are lower cost for silvertip badger. They probably don't work as well as a $200 or $300 Simpson, but for $60 to $70 they work well enough. Bought two drug store brushes first. Palmed both of them off on my sons.

Mrs. smokeywolf has commented on how much better my skin looks since I stopped using her hair conditioner for shave cream and scraping my face with the multi-blade cartridges.

I have a shower-head that slows to a trickle with a quick twist of a collar so I don't bother getting out of the shower to shave.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    I was an Electric user, but I kept wearing the blades or motor and blades out. After replacing 3 shavers in less than a year I started trying other options.

Now I shower and do the full body wash then shampoo the top - I let that stay all lathered up for a few minutes and grab a straight razor and do the face and neck by feel using what ever extra lather from up top. Finally rinse out the hair and face. Later when finished combing my hair I will touch up any strays I missed with an electric. The electrics still wear out, but now I can wait almost 2 years before having to replace one.

Plus - When using that straight edge in the shower, when getting out and drying off your face just feels cleaner than "just washing".

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by ProfGAB101 View Post
    I was an Electric user, but I kept wearing the blades or motor and blades out. After replacing 3 shavers in less than a year I started trying other options.

Now I shower and do the full body wash then shampoo the top - I let that stay all lathered up for a few minutes and grab a straight razor and do the face and neck by feel using what ever extra lather from up top. Finally rinse out the hair and face. Later when finished combing my hair I will touch up any strays I missed with an electric. The electrics still wear out, but now I can wait almost 2 years before having to replace one.

Plus - When using that straight edge in the shower, when getting out and drying off your face just feels cleaner than "just washing".
    Read this and chuckled a little. I have a collection of razors & mugs, & Brushes. Approx 20 to 25 brushes, all the way from a $5.00 department store brush to a couple of hundred custom brush. My everyday brush?? It's a wood handled brush, cost .$1.50 5/6 years ago, horse hair. See this link, lots & lots of inexpensive shaving stuff.

~http://www.bestshave.net/wooden-handled-shaving-brushes-no6-p-67.html

Opp's wrong post to reply, ment for Smokeywolf.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice