Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mixing HF colors for ASBBDT?

Boolit Buddy

mixing HF colors for ASBBDT?

So I know red works with the tumbling, and I think I read that white KINDA works by itself, and yellow KINDA works and black doesnt do squat.

But, after playing with red a bit I was wondering, what would happen if you try mixing the HF colors?

Would adding red and another color do anything different? Would they mix? would the other colors just not stick at all?

Couldnt find a thread that mentioned this, i see pictures of mixed powders but nothing that says HFs mixing.

I mixed red and black today. Attachment 151949

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I do it all the time! Look at the color wheel on the "Brotherhood of the Colored Boolit" community group. You can mix the three primary paint colors yellow, blue, and red to get darned near any other color. Just not matte colors for BBDT.

Just remember the DRY color you mix will be nothing like the melted BAKED color! And many powders "pixelate" rather than totally blending like liquid paint. Fun results!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Does the non tumble hf powders work better when mixed with the other hf powders?

I know mixing colors to make other colors, was more curious about hf powders working at all.

Boolit Grand Master
    The only powder that HF sells that will not successfully BBDT is the matte black. Red, yellow, and white work......to different degrees. Red is the best. The times I have tried mixing HF black, it did not coat at all.....only the other other color coated....and the black was left in the tub!

OTHER HF powders work VERY well with BBDT. Just buy some red and try it. Very inexpensive to play with. Then order some more expensive ones in different colors for mix-ability.

I use Smoke's blue to mix to get a wide variety of colors both BBDT and ESPC.

One of my favorite ESPC mixes is red + matte black to get Bing Cherry Red. Another mix is Hershey's Milk Chocolate brown.

Best thing I would recommend: Don't overthink it (like lead hardness)! Just do it and find out what ratios work for what you want color-wise.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh ok. I thought yellow and white was so/so. Good to know!

Not sure if yellow and white are usable dry tumbling by themselves then based on what you just said?

Boolit Grand Master
    I do NOT BBDT yellow and white............only use them to mix. They work pretty well ESPC.....the way they were engineered to be applied......and not in an old dessert topping bowl!

Some may do it, with MULTIPLE coats. But if it takes more than ONE coat, I move on to something better!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I am sure Jim is right. Recently I built up some .358 boolits to .361 and aside from the extra work the coating did not build up evenly causing rotational balance problems. One thin coat is the answer I believe just as he said. Any more that one coat and I believe it is best to open up the mold some until one coat does the trick. I opened up my boolit sizing die until boolits just fit the cylinder throats on my S&W 33-1. Now it's time to lap a couple of old 2 cavity wad-cutter molds.
    Mike

Boolit Buddy
    That's exactly what I needed to know. If the white and yellow are only for mixing or if they'll 1 coat bbdt. I see conflicting reports but I put credibility to the source here I may try it and then just throw in red if it didn't work as long as I know my options.

Good to know, I can make my smoke sample pack some blue and blacks then to cover the rainbow or just get white and yellow from him.

Boolit Grand Master
    You WILL get coverage with white and yellow.......the resin.......but the pigment will be sparse in spots, letting you see dark patches thru. From what I have done, the clear resin is there, just minimal pigment.

Depends on your level of quality control! Mine is high and I do not tolerate blotchy coats.

HF powders are so dirt cheap, just buy a bottle of white and yellow and play around.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep I think I get that with the red too though, which I discussed with you previously.

Definitely will, can't hurt.

I will say though some of these guys produce frigging masterpieces with their bullets!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    You WILL get coverage with white and yellow.......the resin.......but the pigment will be sparse in spots, letting you see dark patches thru. From what I have done, the clear resin is there, just minimal pigment.

Depends on your level of quality control! Mine is high and I do not tolerate blotchy coats.

HF powders are so dirt cheap, just buy a bottle of white and yellow and play around.
    Same results here with white and yellow. Not the prettiest pigment disbursement, but the resin covers well and they shoot just fine without barrel leading or evidence of powder coat residue buildup in a suppressor (started with white and yellow due to color to monitor for any signs of powder coat in my can).

Doubt I'll buy any more in the future after I use them up when I can get prettier coverage with a higher quality powder like Smokes (Which I've used and is definitely better), but for getting started and low cost/value, the HF powders (other than black for ASBBDT) get the job done if you're not as picky about what they look like.

I did have trouble with HF powders when I started with a cool whip container and non black BBs. Moving to a screw lid zip lock container and black BBs for me were needed to get the HF powders to tumble well.

Boolit Buddy
    Im using the tub but non black BBs also, I guess I need to get some and find out how that works. Im just not sure how many to get and if Crosman brand matters as long as its .25 blacks? (i'm hijacking my own thread hehe)

Boolit Grand Master
    The smaller container of black is a lifetime supply! If you can find them. This forum has pretty much cleaned out all WalMarts nationwide!!!!! You only need 2 or 3 layers in the bottom of the bottom of your container. They do not wear out! Too many create problems with coating and finding the boolits.

As I said B4, black is the plastic alloy to get the weight, so other brands of black should be about the same.

Others can and WILL argue with me, but I have found black BB's are the absolute best! Those that have not used them do not know the difference. Spend the money......get the best coats possible. I think even Smoke sells them.

And I get picture-perfect coats with HF red with BBDT and ESPC.

Boolit Master

I've mixed the HF red with both white and red. For dry tumbling.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Jim, so the 2000 count is enough? Do you need to have different stashes of bbs for different colors or do you just wash em off or just toss em in when you change colors?

Duke, thank you! Hmm they do look speckle vs mixing. Interesting. I'll be picking up a white and yellow tonight to play with

Boolit Master

HF Flat Black plus dash of other HF colors, ASBBDT, 2 coats... .41 mag bullet resized to 10mm and loaded in .40SW brass at 10mm OAL and pressure... 747 ft-lbs...

Boolit Buddy
    How did you tumble with black?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermog View Post
    How did you tumble with black?
    He is using 2 coats............a no-go for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermog View Post
    Jim, so the 2000 count is enough? Do you need to have different stashes of bbs for different colors or do you just wash em off or just toss em in when you change colors?

Duke, thank you! Hmm they do look speckle vs mixing. Interesting. I'll be picking up a white and yellow tonight to play with
    I just use them. So what if a little color carries over? Adds to the interest. I NEVER wash them!

I just use a different bowl for different colors and (if needed) dump the BB's in that color tub.

Again...........don't overthink this~! Just do it!