RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .32 S&W Long

Boolit Master

.32 S&W Long

For those of you that own S&W revolvers in this caliber, what diameter do your cylinder throats and grooves run? Which model do you own? Did these dimensions vary over time?

In case you're wondering, I'm considering doing something dumb; buying the mould before the revolver.

Thanks in advance,

TJ

Boolit Master

I have had several Smith 32s. Here are my measurements, taken with a Starrett dial bore gauge:

I-frame Regulation Police 0.3150-2
    Regulation Police Target (1957) 0.3147-9
    631 Kit Gun 32 Magnum 0.3125

I used to own a pair of early M-16 32 Magnums, but traded them off after measuring their throats at 0.315+ and variable. Some folks here have reported tighter 16s. I have a Starrett V-anvil micrometer for measuring 5 land slugs, but have never slugged these bores.

Boolit Grand Master
    I frame Regulation Police .315."

Boolit Master

I don't know what my I frame is that I inherited, but the chambers appear pretty loose. Been meaning to measure it for a few years. Maybe when I get home this time...

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Prewar S&W I-frame .315
    Postwar S&W Model 31 .316
    Prewar Colt Officer's Model Target .315
    Postwar Colt Police Positive Special .314
    Postwar Colt Detective Special .314
    Postwar Colt Cobra .314

Saeco #325 drops .315 in wheelweights and can be lubed with 45-45-10 or Lee Liquid Alox and shot as-cast and unsized in most guns.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

S&W M30;

Throats .314 (pin gauge)

Bore; .303 (pin gauge)

Groove; .3115 - .312 (slugs)

Dimensions have not changed over the years.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 151664

Boolit Master
    It has been a while, but I believe the ones I have ran right at .314", which is what I size to. Excellent accuracy, especially considering the difficult to shoot platform. (I frames). Mine love the RCBS 98 grain SWC.

I have a 31-1 on the way. These little .32's are a hoot to shoot and can be scary accurate. The ladies and new shooter love them.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have Colts, S&W, Taurus, H&R. There really wasn't much difference in them. It's been years since I slugged or pinned them but I settled on .313 for several different weights and designs of bullets. They all shoot better than I do.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an I frame that dates to right around 1909, IIRC. I have not measured bore or throats on this gun, I had a quantity of .313" boolits (Lyman 313445) already lubed and sized for use in my first Ruger SSM so I loaded some of them.

They worked wonderfully, better than in the Ruger actually, so I haven't looked any farther.

Robert

Boolit Master
    My S&W Model 631 and my S&W Model 16 in .32 Magnum shoot best with 0.312". My Colt PPS shoots best with 0.313", but 0.312" works almost as well so I use that size with both my S&W's and the Colt. My H&R's in .32 Long require 0.314" to shoot reasonably well. They won't shoot worth a darn with 0.312" so I keep both sizes around.

Boolit Master

I have 4 S&W .32s. To be honest I just size all my bullets to .314. I have a 31 Snub, a 3in. 30, a 3in. pre-30, and a very old (and a little loose) 4in. HE that all get stuffed full of .314 diameter bullets. They all shoot better than I am able to shoot them, even the 3in. 30 with the bulged barrel. The HE leaves a bit to be desired, but at $80 out the door a couple years back I can't complain even if it is just a tackle box or truck gun.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys! Your comments are most helpful. There is a group buy discussion thread for a clone of the RCBS .32-98 SWC that will drop .315" from COWW over on the NOE forum. I think I'll sign up for a 4 cavity. TJ

Boolit Master

The RCBS 32-098 is THE bullet for .32 shooting as far as I'm concerned. There has been a lot of talk about that bullet here. I have shot many of them downrange.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    My SW 31-1 is 314 by pin gage. I am on that group buy for a .315 for this gun and a Ruger SP101 in 327. Can always size them down a little, harder to get them to grow
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

FWIW I have a large quantity of factory swaged .32 projectiles and they are .314.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Doesn't one size to chamber mouth even if bore is smaller?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    TJ, I feed a couple of I frames and a J frame 0.315". The J frame Model 30 early 70s, could get by with 0.313 boolits, but it does great with the 0.315's.

I started my 32 addiction with a Single Six in 32 H&R. The SWLs are great fun. I've got a new SP101 in 327 that is also big fun.

Keep in mind most 30 caliber rifles also like fat boolits. So getting a good 32 SWL mould could also make fine plinkers for 30/30, 30/40, 308, 30.06 etc...
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

All throats measured with pin gauges. Revolvers are always sized to cylinder throat.
    Model 431PD = .312
    Model 1903 5th Change = .313
    Model 1903 3rd Model = .313
    Model 30-1 = .314
    Model 16-4 = .313

Stu

The quality of responses to any thread .32 makes me want to jump aboard. A connoisseur's dimension . . .