Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single Shot 50 BMG

Boolit Master

on board, enjoying the postings
    Thanks
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Looks like your cruising for a bruising have fun!

Banned

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
    Serious squirrel medicine !
    They must be some serious squirrels in Oregon

I dream of falling into a project like this but in my hands it would probably never get finished.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    They must be some serious squirrels in Oregon

I dream of falling into a project like this but in my hands it would probably never get finished.

Careful what you ask for, I have half a dozen projects like this....tend to work on all at once so nothing gets finished for a few years then BAM, all at once I get 3 or 4 done heh.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Very Cool!

I think Jack First in SD makes springs. They have a website although the catalogs are still paper. I called and talked to someone who knew all 3 thousand and some parts.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    The military accuracy spec for M2 Ball is 9" mean radius at 600 yards.
    I'd have expected .50 GI ammunition accuracy to be somewhere between those rather extreme extremes. I suppose its use in sniper rifles might have caused specifications to be tightened in recent decades.

Did those rounds actually have armour piercing bullets? I can't really see why they would be used in proof loads. With those pressure indications I would want to check up on the dimensions of the barrel the unknown Mr. Mack used.

Banned

My "proof" rounds were actually just standard ball ammo. The barrel is one of the tapered bore, chrome lined variations the military experimented with. The bore started at .510 at the chamber end and tapered to .506 or so at the muzzle. We had to ream the tops of the lands in order to chamber it as I did not have a removable pilot reamer.The combination turned those standard rounds into very high pressure loads thru that barrel. Hence my usage of the term "proof load".

I have since pulled the bullets from the remaining ammo I have and will work up a loading for them when the rifle is finished.

Which I hope will be soon!

Banned

Boolit Master
    I fired Mahdi Griffin Handgun (20" barrel) some years ago. It was an unforgettable experience. Custom handloads were what we used. A silliwet ram target at two hundred yards could NOT stop the bullet. The recoil and blast caused me to start flinching after several rounds. The first 3 were quite accurate though!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lkydvl View Post
    My "proof" rounds were actually just standard ball ammo. The barrel is one of the tapered bore, chrome lined variations the military experimented with. The bore started at .510 at the chamber end and tapered to .506 or so at the muzzle. We had to ream the tops of the lands in order to chamber it as I did not have a removable pilot reamer.The combination turned those standard rounds into very high pressure loads thru that barrel. Hence my usage of the term "proof load".

I have since pulled the bullets from the remaining ammo I have and will work up a loading for them when the rifle is finished.

Which I hope will be soon!
    I doubt if the bore taper, when it was only to that extent, made much of a difference to the pressure, and you might find other .50 rounds did much better. Something has to be desperately wrong with the bullet or the charge for peak pressure to be as much as a quarter of the way down the barrel, by which time the constriction could only have amounted to about a thousandth of an inch. Unless, maybe, those rounds were loaded with stretched brass, and the chamber clamped the neck onto the bullet?