Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Need Pistol Length drop in rail for 300 BLK

Need Pistol Length drop in rail for 300 BLK

Can anyone recommend a drop in rail/handguard for a pistol gas setup. It seems they are non-existent and I don't want to spend $200+ on a free float rail system. Any suggestions.

Looking for cheaper than this... http://www.lapolicegear.com/samson-star-di-4-rail.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151003_001[1].jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	150331
    Last edited by detroitcharlie; 10-03-2015 at 01:33 PM.
    - detroitcharlie

~ Freedom isn't free, it's fought for. ~

You don't have to spend nearly as much as you think for a free float. Look at a UTG Pro in 7 or 9 inch. They are just over 100.00. But of course you have to have a low profile gas block.

I'm sure Magpul has a drop in and I believe that UTG Pro does as well if you want an alum.

I have a 9" UTG on my 8" barrel with a KAK flash can on it. Looks good and the rail is well made and appears plenty sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyephil View Post
    You don't have to spend nearly as much as you think for a free float. Look at a UTG Pro in 7 or 9 inch. They are just over 100.00. But of course you have to have a low profile gas block.

I'm sure Magpul has a drop in and I believe that UTG Pro does as well if you want an alum.

I have a 9" UTG on my 8" barrel with a KAK flash can on it. Looks good and the rail is well made and appears plenty sturdy.
    I need 4", I've found a few, but no drop-ins.
    - detroitcharlie

Boolit Master

Why do you need 4"? You appear to have a low profile gas block so a carbine length handguard will fit over the barrel and gas block and give you extra rail space. It will be a bit heavier though

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    Why do you need 4"? You appear to have a low profile gas block so a carbine length handguard will fit over the barrel and gas block and give you extra rail space. It will be a bit heavier though
    Because I was going to SBR the barrel down the road. This is a pistol length barrel. Excuse my ignorance, but this is my first upper build.
    Last edited by detroitcharlie; 10-04-2015 at 10:19 AM.
    - detroitcharlie

Boolit Master

A carbine length handguard is about 7-8" if I remember right. If you have a low profile gas block, a free float handguard will slide right over it. Some people use free float handguard longer than their barrel and use it to shroud a suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    A carbine length handguard is about 7-8" if I remember right. If you have a low profile gas block, a free float handguard will slide right over it. Some people use free float handguard longer than their barrel and use it to shroud a suppressor
    Can you give me an example? I guess I don't understand where the attachment point would be on the front? My understanding was my only other alternative was to use a free-float quad rail but I don't want to spend $200.

What would be a cheaper way to do this?

TROY INDUSTRIES, INC. - AR-15/M16 MRF-DI NON-FREE-FLOAT CARBINE HANDGUARD
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...532-51695.aspx
    Last edited by detroitcharlie; 10-03-2015 at 04:28 PM.
    - detroitcharlie

Here's a picture of mine. I'm doing a SBR, form 1 is processing, so it's set up as a pistol for now. Barrel is 8", UTG hand guard 9". Low profile gas block.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1443906617041.jpg  

Here's a picture of mine. I'm doing a SBR, form 1 is processing, so it's set up as a pistol for now. Barrel is 8", UTG hand guard 9". Low profile gas block.
    Does the UTG unit connect directly to the original barrel nut; did you have to remover the delta ring?
    - detroitcharlie

It comes with it's own proprietary barrel nut and wrench. UTG may not be one of the big names, but still appears to be a nice rail. Good and solid so far. But I haven't had it long yet.

I may have to drop back to a 7" rail when I get a suppressor as I don't think it will fit inside this rail as its a slim rail.

It comes with it's own proprietary barrel nut and wrench. UTG may not be one of the big names, but still appears to be a nice rail. Good and solid so far. But I haven't had it long yet.

I may have to drop back to a 7" rail when I get a suppressor as I don't think it will fit inside this rail as its a slim rail.
    Yeah I was just looking at their 7", is this the one you got? http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-par...tol/utg-mtu004
    - detroitcharlie

Sorry, missed the last part of the question. I don't have a delta ring. Just remember, if you take it off, make sure the hole in the gas block aligns with the barrel gas port. Of course that always applies. Some have had problems when they run a gas block designed to be used with a delta ring down on the barrel too far. But if you have a gas block that is designed not to use a delta ring and use one, it might not align either. Just depends on your setup.

I have seen shorty rails advertised in shotgun news I believe. You should have several options that doesn't break the bank. Good luck

Sorry, missed the last part of the question. I don't have a delta ring. Just remember, if you take it off, make sure the hole in the gas block aligns with the barrel gas port. Of course that always applies. Some have had problems when they run a gas block designed to be used with a delta ring down on the barrel too far. But if you have a gas block that is designed not to use a delta ring and use one, it might not align either. Just depends on your setup.

I have seen shorty rails advertised in shotgun news I believe. You should have several options that doesn't break the bank. Good luck
    Thanks- yeah no problems with the gas line and the Delta ring.
    - detroitcharlie